Rust at AC line connection to coil

Quick question..... my clients just had an inspection done on a property yesterday and we got the report back today.

The inspector said there was "rusting at the AC line connection to the coil."

what will happen if this is left alone?

rust around a coil in NC is noted because its synonymous with refrigerant leaks. home inspector's "have" to find something wrong. the don't go into great detail on HVAC equipment. to have the HVAC equipment checked properly call a local company. they can tell you if this "rust" is an issue or a inspector thats "finding" something wrong
    If Guns Kill People, Do Pencils Misspell Words?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An2a1...eature=related

Before we work on artificial intelligence why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

I thought rust was a protective covering for copper??
    I need a new signature.....

Quote Originally Posted by I_bend_metal View Post
    I thought rust was a protective covering for copper??
    LMAO yep it is, just a effective as sea salt
    If Guns Kill People, Do Pencils Misspell Words?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An2a1...eature=related

Before we work on artificial intelligence why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

Oh man sea salt....that stuf goes great on tuna steaks....toss them on the grill with some olive oil...damn...i must be in the wrong forum!
    I need a new signature.....

Quote Originally Posted by NCRealtor View Post
    Quick question..... my clients just had an inspection done on a property yesterday and we got the report back today.

It's probably missing the insulation on that one point. As stated above rusting is the first thing you notice when you find a leak.....If I'm looking for a leak rust/oil is the first thing I look for on quick inspection to get a general idea where to use the leak detector.

LMAO sounds like a good recipe to me! My fiance was a HVAC tech and explained the whole thing to me..... Looks like water isn't getting out....duh!.... I also checked some web sites that explain more about what could be happening inside and making it rust where the freon pipes inter the unit.

Quote Originally Posted by NCRealtor View Post

why dont you ask the inspector?

after all, he is the one that noted the damage!

Copper doesn't rust, aluminum doesn't rust, the galvanized end plates rust. So the rusting and leaking are related. How? Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by adrianf View Post
    Copper doesn't rust, aluminum doesn't rust, the galvanized end plates rust. So the rusting and leaking are related. How? Thanks in advance.
    He's probably not seeing actual rust but corrosion and calling it rust. Although the two are not far from each other.

You said "where the freon lines enter the unit". In that case it's probably just the sheet metal rusting around the holes that the pipes pass through. The sheet metal is getting wet due to air leakage around the pipes or due to the suction line not being insulated well at that point. A little bit of silicone caulk to seal the air leaks will probably prevent further rusting of the cabinet or cover. Rust accumulating on the pipes isn't damaging to them, it just stains them.

If it's left alone, then the rusting of the sheet metal will continue. Eventually the panel will rust through and the air leakage will get worse. I've only seen that happen on rare occasions though. Usually the unit needs replacing long before the sheet metal falls apart.