Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Need assistance. Amana vs Trane vs Lennox

I am in the process of replacing my present Heat Pump system. I have a Bryant 5 ton with variable speed A/H providing cooling and heat to a 3000 sq ft house w/10 ft ceilings on the west coast of Florida. I've had three quotes from recommended contractors. Each sells different brands and, of course claims their's is the best. Each also did a Manual J load test and 5 ton seems right to lower the temp on those hot days. I'm looking at the following models: Lennox XP19, Amana ASZ18 and Trane XL19i. Each will have their matching variable speed air handlers. In addition, I'm also adding an air cleaner and heat recovery unit for hot water to complete the system.

Assuming all contractiors are honest, professional and reliable, any preferences on the brand? Also, how can I check out these contractors in addition to any references they give me to make sure they are as good as they claim.

Thanks

Dan

Maybe look at Carrier INFINITY,but LENNOX would be my pick out of those 3
    It's NOT the BRAND,it's the company that installs it!!!!!

As far as the three brands all have issues all have good points. I personally feel the quality of all three have diminished in the last few years. I have sold all three and sold Amana almost exclusively for the last three and have recently relegated them to third choice.

I constantly evaluate equipment for my customers and have landed on Bryant and have been very pleased with the quality of the product. I would not sell Bryant/Carrier for the last 20-years because they were building an inferior product.

I am curious why are you replacing your current system if it has a Variable speed motor how old is it and what efficiency.

Bottom line any of the systems if installed properly will provide better service
    than a poorly installed system.

I'm a bit concerned about Carrier. I have a Bryant condenser and had a problem of the A/H "sweating" big time. It's hanging in the garage which gets to 90 degrees in the summer and it always had condensation on the bottom of the unit. I had the Carrier engineer out & replaced the A/H to no avail. i was told by a A/c contractor that this is a design flaw of the Carrier A/H. I would like to have a Carrier in the bid process but don't feel comfortable at this point.

Am I wrong??

Dan

Dan I cannot address your concern because I do not do many A/H units because almost everything we do is gas heat. I have not installed a new Bryant A/H so I dont know how they are insulated.

I will say that I don't see many A/H units sweating and our units are installed in attic and they are hotter than a garage would be. Sweating is due to the unit skin being colder than the dew point which being in Florida is going to be high especially in a garage.

We need to put out a call to Dash he is in Florida Crystal Lake I think and he is a Carrier dealer he should be able to answer your concern.

The sweating of the AH in the garage is not a Carrier specific problem.
    It can happen to any VS air handler.
    If the ramp profile, or CFM are set low, the jacket temp can drop below dew point, and the will sweat.

I've already added insulation to the outside of the cabinet of Carrier, and York units to stop the sweating.

It may be just a case that the cabinet is getting to cold, or you could have another problem.
    But its not a Carrier problem.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

you most likely have an airflow issue that a new unit would not necessarily solve. We have installed about 12 5 ton A/H in a factory setting, they stay dry(100 degree ambient temp at the ceiling for a few of them.) unless the filters get plugged up or something to hinder airflow, one of them had issues with wicking the water off the coil and into the cabinet, causing condensation to drip from the bottom of the cabinet istalled a larger splash sheild solved that one.(Although your issues sound like cold cabinet temps(airflow issue))
    You can't fix stupid

Quote Originally Posted by DanA View Post
    I'm a bit concerned about Carrier. I have a Bryant condenser and had a problem of the A/H "sweating" big time. It's hanging in the garage which gets to 90 degrees in the summer and it always had condensation on the bottom of the unit. I had the Carrier engineer out & replaced the A/H to no avail. i was told by a A/c contractor that this is a design flaw of the Carrier A/H. I would like to have a Carrier in the bid process but don't feel comfortable at this point.

Am I wrong??

Dan
    this happens to every VS AH in the southern parts of this country. its the bonus we get for living in the tropical zone. high humidity and slow air moving through the AH cause it to sweat like cold beer sitting on the picninc table on the 4th of July. you can relocate your AH to a conditioned space. put it somewhere that you can install a dehumidifier. or use a VS motor and have it set up as a direct drive application. just som ideas. but to say the condesation is carrier specific, thats total non-sense
    If Guns Kill People, Do Pencils Misspell Words?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An2a1...eature=related

Before we work on artificial intelligence why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

Quote Originally Posted by cmajerus View Post
    you most likely have an airflow issue that a new unit would not necessarily solve. We have installed about 12 5 ton A/H in a factory setting, they stay dry(100 degree ambient temp at the ceiling for a few of them.) unless the filters get plugged up or something to hinder airflow, one of them had issues with wicking the water off the coil and into the cabinet, causing condensation to drip from the bottom of the cabinet istalled a larger splash sheild solved that one.(Although your issues sound like cold cabinet temps(airflow issue))
    and whats the humidity like there? i promise it no comparison to NC SC GA FL or any in the south it is airflow, a VS motor running at 50% for the first 7 minutes
    If Guns Kill People, Do Pencils Misspell Words?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An2a1...eature=related

Before we work on artificial intelligence why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

Quote Originally Posted by beachtech View Post
    and whats the humidity like there? i promise it no comparison to NC SC GA FL or any in the south it is airflow, a VS motor running at 50% for the first 7 minutes
    no doubt, but we get some days that are 80-95% humidity too. None of these are set for comfort-R either BTW. actually they might be set to 450 per ton as they are used to spot cool workers so the airflow is increased for more push. For the most part we have converted to 25 ton RTU with 12" flexible drops to each work station, but they also kept these 5 tons going too.
    You can't fix stupid

Air handler hanging in garage. Chances are the return static is too high which is design deficiency not a Carrier product issue. You probably need to fix the duct.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Humidity in the garage can be be so high that under certain conditions any brand will sweat at times,but the OP's sounds much different.

High return static ,over .4"wc,and or lack of a "deep" condensate trap is normally the problem.Water is "pulled" out of the pan,or 'blown" off the coil,either way the insulation in the air handler gets wet and you have severe sweating.

Adding 3M or any type of "better" filter ,can aslo contribute to high return air static.

Also seen air handlers that weren't setup properly,air flow too high,but if the service rep was there the contractor should have been advised to correct any of the above issues.That said it would be the first time a customer thought the serice rep visited them,but it was really the ditributers salesman.

That said it wouldn't be the first time a customer thought the serice rep visited them,but it was really the ditributers salesman.

Thats what I was thinking.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast