Thread: Amana Distinctions vs. Bryant Legacy

Post Likes

Amana Distinctions vs. Bryant Legacy

Hello,
    I need an advice on what was suggested to me in order to replace my broken AC. I'm in southern Wisconsin in 16 years old 2story house. Total sq. ft. is 1650 plus finished basement.
    Old system was 2.5 tons and all contractos recommended to stay with the same capacity. Here is what I was suggested by contractors:
    1) Amana Distinctions DGSX13
    2) Bryant Legacy 126B (+10% of Amana quote) with option to switch to Preferred 126B (+an other 10%)
    3) Heil 13seer (H4A3 model I guess and +20% of Amana quote)
    Somehow I quickly rulled out Heil reading that it is builder grade system and some other factors. So now going back and forth between Amana and Bryant.
    After reading many threads I understand that both brands are comparable in terms of quality. My question is if I'm missing any essential features in these suggested systems. I do not need anything fancy and top of the line, but want to get reliable and comfortable new AC. I can go up 10% or 20% up if it is worth it. On an other side I keep thinking about moving out from this house and may neeed to convert to rental property. Appreciate specific advices.

Post Likes
    Not sure what Amana unit you are looking at. There is no DGSX13.

The Bryant Legacy is 116 and builder grade. It won't get 16 SEER without matching high efficiency indoor unit. Same with the 126. Probably be 14 SEER. Hopefully the dealer was honest and told you this

The Heil H4A3 is NOT builder, it is a very nice unit with extra sound deadening, compressor protection & diagnostics and enhanced warranty. The Heil builder line is essentially the Bryant Legacy with a different color paint job.

Best bet is a 13 SEER unit since you are so far north and probably have decent electric rates. Especially if you are thinking short term as the bill payer.

Post Likes
    Well. There is obviously Amana DGSX13 as I'm holding DGSX13 brochure in my hands. On Amana's site seems it is the same as GSX13. I was worrying about formicary corrosion and rep told me that Amana switched to aluminium coil some time ago. But when I went on Amana site it states that GSX13 has "Copper tube / aluminum fin coil". Does it qualify as aluminium coil withstanding formicary corrosion? Contractor has been in business since 2005 and has good BBB rating and testimonials.
    Bryant Legacy model is actually 113A (my bad) and this is what 2nd contractor recommended. Preferred model is 126B and it was given me as an option and rep stated it is just slightly quieter and provides a little more protection for outside coil. Contractor has been in business 90 years. He mentioned that if I get with 126B I may get ~50$ per year saving on my AC bill. He also stated that his company does new lines purging and brazing during installation and a lot of installers skip on it.
    Maybe I should research Heil option more, but since it was most expensive option and two cheaper ones seemed okay I didn't spend much time on it.
    So again I want to understand if I'm missing any essential features in these non-fancy models.

Post Likes
    Maybe in Amana talk they add the D to the Goodman GSX13. The all aluminum would be the indoor coil.

Since the 126 would be about 14 SEER with a standard indoor unit, you likely won't save $50 for 1 SEER point.

The Amana and 116 are bare bones units. The Amana does have the cabinet protecting the coil. Otherwise, neither have compressor pressure protection switches or any sound deadening. But for the money if properly sized and installed, they will do fine. Certainly the deluxe Heil could add a few hundred to the quote. Your budget will have to dictate which way to go.

Post Likes
    The amana dgsx exists on computers and warranty forms only. It is a goodman( hence the g) but you pay extra to call it an amana. All it really does is give you a better compressor warranty at 13 seer.

Post Likes
    Thank you for advice. I just signed a contract on Heil 13seer H4A3 unit and contractor was able to undercut Bryant Legacy quote.

Post Likes
    Nice!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in