Victor vs Harris torches

So I'm needing to get a torch set cheap. I see on ebay these seups that say fits victor style or fits harris style. What's the difference and which should I choose? I'll spend some good coin on a nice setup later but for now I need this quick and cheap!!

Pretty much the same IMO, Uniweld too. I would make sure you can get tips at a local place for the brand you pick.
    I r the king of the world!...or at least I get to stand on the roof and look down on the rest of yall

So, you want something that mixes oxygen and acetylene, and you want a cheap one?

Better spend some of that saved money on an insurance upgrade.

Cheap welding equipment huh, i dont know about that one, to me its like shopping around or asking your doctor for a discount on heart surgery or asking you mechanic for a deal on your cars brakes, there are only certain things that you can bargain with others are just better to pay the full price.
    I will take a bullet for my Veto LC tool bag!

Victor -vs- Harris -vs- Smith

Victor and Harris is basicly the same .I have a set of each and their not bad ,both i've had for over 20 years .But........
    The Smith set i've had for about 12 years and they are by far the best IMO.
    The volume controls on the Smith set have more of a fine tuning than the oth two which to me makes for a better burn.

Don't look at the bright light

Thanks for the replies. Also thanks for the concern for my safety. And I can certainly appreciate that. Like I said though...I will not be keeping anything cheap for long. I was borrowing the gear that I had and it had to be returned. I need something basically to get me through two, maybe three, weeks. Then I can afford to upgrade.

Thanks again for the help.

Back in the early '80s I was a certified welder, I purchased a Victor Oxy/acetylene set, that still use to this day. I have flame cut 3" cold rolled steel that looked like it was cut with a saw, with this set.

these sets are pretty much all the same, it's just a tool.

Your skill with that tool will determine the quality of your weld.

90% of the time, you will be able to tell if a weld is good enough simply by your confidence in your ability and simply by inspecting the weld.

as my dad always said "buy a cheap tool 5 times, or buy a good tool once" good luck on your decision
    I only drink a little, but when I do
    I turn into another person and THAT person drinks a lot

Hey be carefull with that e-bay stuff.What they are adv. (most of time) is cheap "made in China" crap you dont really want.(For tools "made in USA" is a good thing.)Thats why it says "like" or "style" but is not an OEM original.I was looking at the same setup last week.Thought I could get a cheap set for backup.....NOT!.
    Just bust out the extra 200 bones and get a good set.
    I started saving up some cash for my next set.
    Good luck.

You guys all rock. Thanks for all the help. The only reason I'm even in this stupid predicament is cause I've been borrowing a set of torches from my friend.. He needs them back now so I have to come up with a new set. I'll need them for Monday and I just aint got the scratch really right now. So I guess I'll buy the cheap set from Lowes or wherever to get me by for a couple weeks and then invest in my own good set. So in a few weeks you may see my advertisement in the junkyard for selling a crap torch set!

Maybe on second thought I'll just make the withdrawl from savings and get the good set. Then replace that money in a couple weeks. That wouls probably be less hassle!! Thanks guys for helping me talk myself into doing the right thing!!!

Quote Originally Posted by chrashley View Post
    ...Maybe on second thought I'll just make the withdrawl from savings and get the good set. Then replace that money in a couple weeks. That wouls probably be less hassle!! Thanks guys for helping me talk myself into doing the right thing!!!
    If you have the money, then use it.

Nothing stupider than buying something crappy knowing it won't be good enough.

Send me the $$$ for the cheap torch set, then buy yourself the good one... same thing you propose, but better for me.

I take PayPal

Quote Originally Posted by neophytes serendipity View Post
    Send me the $$$ for the cheap torch set, then buy yourself the good one... same thing you propose, but better for me.
    Not exactly...I was planning on selling the cheap set when I bought the good set. But I see your point

Just fyi the Victor is the biggest seller so name is more recognized, more dealers will have parts/tips etc. I have a Craftsman torch and it is made by Harris, it is good stuff also. I'm glad you decided to get a good one, you won't be sorry.
    Challenge yourself, take the CM test --- Certificate Member since 2004 ---Join RSES ---the HVAC/R training authority ---www.rses.org

I like my harris set