Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by sodd81927 View Post
    I could not imagine trying to work on supermarket racks without at least 3 set's of guages that's what I carry plus another 4 single high side and 3 low side gauge's and no less than three meters and electronic temp meters. You cannot fix it till you have the complete picture of what's going on with the system. It's cheaper to buy tool's and fix it right the first time than to guess at it many tines and lose a CUSTOMER.
    Could not agree more.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeiss Nut View Post
    Could not agree more.
    I agree too.

I have 7 sets of guages, 4 meters, 2 good clamp temps, 2 other temps, IR Gun, Pyscrometer, homemade VS diagnostic tool and just about anything else I can get without the wife knowing.

Next investment....digital guages.

I spend nearly as much on tools as my wife does on her shopping...the more tools, especially the right tools always help

I don't work on rack systems but I use 1 set of guages,1 meter and usually diagnose an ice machine with a screwdriver to take off the front cover,
    I've been doing this stuff since 89' and I find Ice machines the easiest calls to go on since they basically tell you whats wrong no matter the brand.

I personally don't rely on my tools to tell me what's wrong I rely on my expierence. Most will say that you can't diagnose a bad txv without guages and clamp on temp. probe and superheat readings, well... your wrong!

Every piece of refrigeration equipment no matter if it's self contained,remote,water cooled,WI cooler/freezer,ice machine operates the same way. They ALL do the same thing. they remove heat from whear it's not wanted.
    No matter the type of refrigerant they all will follow the same few simple rules
    Even cooling on the evaporator and even gradual cooling on the condenser.

It confuses me why alot of tech's confound themselves with subcooling and superheat reading's? yes in some instances those readings are helpfull but for the majority of calls the true problem slaps you in the face (to me anyway)

Example: reachin cooler freezing product.
    Possible cause: Thermostat? maybe...

small ice ball at the beginning of the evap. whear the cap tube enters the coil or too cool of a condenser on a txv unit and unit runs constantly.

Low charge possible low side leak with noncondensables in system.

I'm not trying to sound pompous but the only 3 call backs I've had this year were due to me being stupid and ASS U MING or cutting corners at the end of the day or cause I was stupidly lazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Executioner View Post
    I don't work on rack systems but I use 1 set of guages,1 meter and usually diagnose an ice machine with a screwdriver to take off the front cover,
    I've been doing this stuff since 89' and I find Ice machines the easiest calls to go on since they basically tell you whats wrong no matter the brand.

I personally don't rely on my tools to tell me what's wrong I rely on my expierence. Most will say that you can't diagnose a bad txv without guages and clamp on temp. probe and superheat readings, well... your wrong!

Every piece of refrigeration equipment no matter if it's self contained,remote,water cooled,WI cooler/freezer,ice machine operates the same way. They ALL do the same thing. they remove heat from whear it's not wanted.
    No matter the type of refrigerant they all will follow the same few simple rules

It confuses me why alot of tech's confound themselves with subcooling and superheat reading's? yes in some instances those readings are helpfull but for the majority of calls the true problem slaps you in the face (to me anyway)

small ice ball at the beginning of the evap. whear the cap tube enters the coil or too cool of a condenser on a txv unit and unit runs constantly.

I'm not trying to sound pompous but the only 3 call backs I've had this year were due to me being stupid and ASS U MING or cutting corners at the end of the day or cause I was stupidly lazy.
    You remind me of an Elctrician that came to work for Grandfather. He said "Max" I don't need a meter, just spit on his hand and touch the line.
    RAM Teaching Tomorrows Technicians Today.

Quote Originally Posted by dngtig View Post
    beachtech, What do you consider an old timer? I am just curious.
    go back and re-read the posts please, what a minute, read the whole damn thing. now ask me that question again... didn't think so
    If Guns Kill People, Do Pencils Misspell Words?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An2a1...eature=related

Before we work on artificial intelligence why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

I agree with allot of what your saying. I started back in 1982 and can feel and hear allot of what's going on in a system. I've seen some people get so hung up on subcooling, superheat and pressures that they overlook the obvious. Feel the pipes my friends, it tells you allot.

Yep just grab a "Bud" if its cold the unit works.
    1.Suction line cold, unit okay (do we have a problem with TXV) don't know no gauges in hand.

2.Unit off on high head. Easy Condenser needs cleaning (do we have non- condensables) don't know no gauges.

3.Condenser seems clean (are we sure) don't know no I/R Thermometer

4. Ice Maker off? Fuse blew (why) don't know no meter

5. Where's my raise. With your tools. Oh don't have em.
    RAM Teaching Tomorrows Technicians Today.

I think having the right tools is the way to go.

My students' trucks are full of every gadget known to man!

I'm not a gadget guy.

Having all the right tools $20,000 + Knowing how to use them Priceless

Well, I ll have to disagree with you. With out putting your gauges on there and taking a real time temp, you are ASS U MING!

Who cares if liquid is going back to the compressor, right? I mean, the line is cold, so what else matters?
    "Correct Installation is the Key"

.1 has killed more HX then Rush Limbaugh

What is your TESP?

It all has to work together...Tools, plus Experience. Whether its A/C or Ref, the more experience you have the quicker you would be able to walk up and say...oh yeah this happens all the time. Slap on some guages or a temp reading, and go to work.

Alot of diagnostic's can be done without ever putting guages on a system.

For instance: WI freezer coil iced up, you proceed to put it in defrost,heaters heating, grab amp probe, drawing proper amps, ok get the mapp gas torch and melt alittle of the ice and find layered ice, ie..clear/frosty/clear/frosty ect...
    Conclusion: once coil is defrosted and provided box comes down to temp. properly you need more defrost's or time on defrost. only if ice buildup is even top to bottom on coil.
    If it's all white frost then too much humidity entering box.
    Guages ARE needed to diagnose a sytem IF needed, some weeks I go 2 or 3 days without even getting them out the truck, while correctly diagnosing iced up coils not cooling and bad compressors that are electrically fine, coast's to a stop after 3 or more seconds and drawing low run amps, shaft is sheared compressors toast. Shut off comp. and suction line immediatly gets hot, high side valves are shot.
    Walk up to the unit and box is slightly up in temp. coil has light frost at end with compressor iced around suction area= overfeeding TVX or overcharged.

Everyone has their own method of diagnosing a system, No one method is perfect. It is all based on that individual's expierence,preference,training.
    I was taught in the field and have no clue how to calculate subcooling. Never needed it.
    No clue how to calculate loads but recognize when a new store calls in on a 90 F day and the dinning area is pushing 80 F , on the roof you got 1 or 2 small A/C's and heat is pouring out the fans, If I got 20F temp. difference between return and supply air well gee I guess somebody saved a few bucks on xtra cooling.
    Since 1988 I can safely say......
    I'm not perfect and don't know it all and am still learning new thing's, but I'm comfortable walking into any refrigeration problem, wether it's new or after several other tech's have looked at unit with a few call back's. I always tell the customer that you'll know exactly what's wrong with the unit before I leave, and I'll either have it repaired or know what I need with no excuses.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast