Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 31
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Lucas, TX
    Posts
    107

    Amama vs goodman - difference ?

    Are there any differences between the Amana and goodman equipment.
    I was quoted a ASZ14 series heat pump and variable speed air handler. From
    the brochure, it looks the same as the old goodman (AR36) (terribly) installed
    a number of years ago.

    Also, is it true that most systems have the same (copeland built) compressor ?
    The guy quoting seems to have sold many different systems through various companies.

    Thanks.

    Adam

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Metro St. Louis
    Posts
    181
    The indoor units are the same.

    The outdoor units are different. The Goodman units are GSZ. Slightly different specs.

    Both are Copelands. In fact, if you read thru here, almost all of the manufacturers use Copelands.

    I had an ASZ16 put in my house in October. Love it.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,915
    Quote Originally Posted by Waterloo View Post
    In fact, if you read thru here, almost all of the manufacturers use Copelands.

    I had an ASZ16 put in my house in October. Love it.
    Not all copeland compressors are the same. Different manufactures some time request their internal design a little different specs.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    466
    Quote Originally Posted by just_opinion View Post
    Not all copeland compressors are the same. Different manufactures some time request their internal design a little different specs.
    Please expand on this theory. From the specification data I have for Copeland compressors currently being used in a variety of different brands of equipment, there is no difference from one to another other then a capacity variance to suit the conditions of the manufacturers coils and what efficiencies they are wanting to achieve.

    I do believe that if you cross reference a Copeland compressor from one brand to another, you will find they are interchangeable. The Copeland compressors manufactured in the new scroll plant in Mexico for certain manufactures also have comparable specifications to all other Copeland scroll compressors being used in the HVAC industry.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Lucas, TX
    Posts
    107
    CEE comparison shows same capacities, HSPF and SEER. But EER is 0.5 higher
    for Goodman SSZ14...

    I guess there's not really much difference...

    Thanks.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    The Twilight Zone
    Posts
    2,964
    A few things I noticed when looking at the product specs on the ASZ14 Amana and SSZ14 Goodman:

    - Amana condenser has Copeland ComfortAlert Diagnostics
    - Amana condenser has 2 speed fan

    FYI: I have a Goodman air handler and the 1" filter rack is poorly designed. I have to literally rip out the old filter and carefully install a new filter. To avoid my monthly aggravation, I suggest a seperate media cabinet.

    Take care.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Lucas, TX
    Posts
    107
    I have a recent goodman (AR36-1) upstairs and I thought the install was poor
    (well it is poor) and it bent the 1" air filter slot. Now I see that its more than
    an install issue.

    I'm getting some quotes to put in a 4" filter cabinet since I too am tired of trying
    to customize filters to put in and then having to rip them out to replace them.

    Thanks.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Round Rock
    Posts
    3,549
    To answer your question, probably the only real difference is the price and warranty. Which one translates to the other.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Eastern PA
    Posts
    68,943
    Quote Originally Posted by gary_g View Post
    A few things I noticed when looking at the product specs on the ASZ14 Amana and SSZ14 Goodman:

    - Amana condenser has Copeland ComfortAlert Diagnostics
    - Amana condenser has 2 speed fan

    FYI: I have a Goodman air handler and the 1" filter rack is poorly designed. I have to literally rip out the old filter and carefully install a new filter. To avoid my monthly aggravation, I suggest a seperate media cabinet.

    Take care.
    Add to the differences that the Amana has a sound blanket for the compressor and a sound enhanced grille top.

    I agree that the filter section leaves a lot to be desired. If you have a three foot pry bar laying around (no, I'm not kidding), you can work the interior of that filter rack enough to spread the obstacles and flanges that get bent during installation out of the way of the filter.

    That rack is not designed for use of other then permanent filters. The accessory filter that is made to also replace the filter section panel is actually a pretty nice way to go once the filter area has been opened up properly.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV


  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Eastern PA
    Posts
    68,943
    Quote Originally Posted by bmathews View Post
    To answer your question, probably the only real difference is the price and warranty. Which one translates to the other.
    See above post as to why you are wrong.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Round Rock
    Posts
    3,549
    Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    See above post as to why you are wrong.
    How about the color? Are they different? Is one of them 1/2" taller or shorter? How about shape? I was assuming he was asking, overall was there any difference about how they performed or any problems specific to each one. The compressor blanket adds to price as well as the nicer hat for the fan. It makes it a little more deluxe = price. As well as the warranty being better = price. As far as performance and reliability, they are pretty much the same.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Eastern PA
    Posts
    68,943
    Quote Originally Posted by bmathews View Post
    How about the color? Are they different? Is one of them 1/2" taller or shorter? How about shape? I was assuming he was asking, overall was there any difference about how they performed or any problems specific to each one. The compressor blanket adds to price as well as the nicer hat for the fan. It makes it a little more deluxe = price. As well as the warranty being better = price. As far as performance and reliability, they are pretty much the same.
    By your stated standards, every unit out there is the same.

    However; by what the questions asked imply, no they are not the same at all.....not even the color of cabinet configuration are the same. Even the tops are completely different. So I guess by your standard they are exactly the same only completely different

    Why do people argue with me?
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV


  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Posts
    34,089
    Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post

    Why do people argue with me?
    It's so much fun

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event