Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bryant vs Amana

Post Likes

Bryant vs Amana

Looking to install a new c/a system in our house and got four quotes. Narrowed it down to two based on cost. I'm trying to get an idea about reliability, efficiency, etc. I've read a lot of the posts here and know that most of the quality of a system is in the installer, but I'm trying to get an idea of the quality of the equipment. Also, any suggestions would be welcome as well. I'm in the Northeast, and the heating is a separate gas baseboard system. The house is a ranch, the c/a will be used for the main floor which is about 1600 sq ft.

The systems quoted are:
    Bryant 3 ton 15 SEER model 165ANA036 R410-A with a Bryant FV4?003 a/h
    Amana 2 1/2 ton 14 SEER model ASX14030 with an Amana/Goodman AEPF3036 a/h

Any thoughts are most appreciated. TIA

Post Likes
    get the bryant unit is equipped 410a refrigerant you wont be sorry

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by workhc View Post
    get the bryant unit is equipped 410a refrigerant you wont be sorry
    As is the Amana... Any reason why the Bryant guy is quoting a 3 ton unit? Did he do a load calculation to determine this? Be careful when choosing based on cost. It could cost more in the long run.

Post Likes

Bryant vs Amana followup

The cost differences between the two systems was negligible which is why I'm trying to get opinions on the quality. The two other quotes were from big box stores (Sears and HD) for Carrier and Trane systems. These two quotes were about 35 - 40% higher than the local guys. Both the Carrier and Trane systems were 2.5 ton 14/15 SEER systems with v/s a/h.

Both guys did Manual J(?) estimates although the Bryant rep was factoring in for the exposure of the front side of the house which is why he recommended the 3 ton system.

Post Likes
    Both systems run on r-410a. Amana is a very nice system with a lifetime compressor warranty, lifetime unit replacement if compressor fails and 10 year parts warranty. I install 1-2 a week asx14 series and am very happy with the brand.

Go Amana

Post Likes
    Either system is excellent and if installed properly will provide years of trouble free service. The Amana system has the better basic warranty but both can be upgraded to 10-years parts and labor. DO NOT PURCHASE A VARIABLE SPEED PRODUCT WITHOUT A 10-YEAR PARTS AND LABOR WARRANTY.

Ask for a written performance guarantee; they should have no objection if they performed their load calculation properly.

I sell both Amana and Bryant and have no real dependability issues. I do have some issues with the Amana CSCF evaporator coil but you will not have that issue.

Post Likes
    the variable speed motor is great but if it fails out of warranty get ready to open your wallet. i would recommend the 3 speed psc air handler

Post Likes
    the variable speed motor is great but if it fails out of warranty get ready to open your wallet. i would recommend the 3 speed psc air handler
    No way. A variable speed blower gives you so much more control of the air for dehumidifying and filtration that I never recommend a psc motor to other then rental properties.

As stated, get the 10 extended labor warranty with whatever you go with. Just an FYI; that Amana system with the variable speed blower is ARI rated at 15 SEER.
    Training is important!
    Practical Training is a must!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    No way. A variable speed blower gives you so much more control of the air for dehumidifying and filtration that I never recommend a psc motor to other then rental properties.

As stated, get the 10 extended labor warranty with whatever you go with. Just an FYI; that Amana system with the variable speed blower is ARI rated at 15 SEER.
    would you like to spend a thousand dollars just to replace your blower motor

Post Likes

Amana vs Bryant

RoBo - the Amana guy did mention that EnergyStar considers the ASX a 15 SEER (for rebate purposes) unit, he called it a 14+, even tho Amana rates it 14.

Both installers touted the v/s a/h ability for filtration and dehumidifying. The filtration is something I'm looking for b/c me and the kids have allergies. Is it true that with proper filtration (and what would that be) you could run the fan on in the off season to recirculate and filter? Does it actually help the heating system or cause it to work harder?

To bring the Bryant warranty up to 10 year essentially makes both units the same cost. THere doesn't seem to be any compelling reason (save for the lifetime replacement on the compressor) to choose one over the other so I guess I need to narrow down based on the installer.

Post Likes
    If they have the 10-year P&L why would they spend anything on a bad motor? Beside that the ECM motors are very durable and trouble free most that are replaced are misdiagnosed.

Post Likes
    Nope. Don't like spending $2,000 every time an automatic tranny goes up in one of my vehicles either, but I still buy automatics.

Besides, with an extended 10 year warranty the HO would pay nothing if a motor went up within 10 years and have the benefits of higher efficiency year round along with better filtration and dehumidification. Also, after 10 years of savings from a VS motor, a HO could have enough in savings to buy a new VS blower motor. It's a win-win situation.
    Training is important!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jtragic View Post
    RoBo - the Amana guy did mention that EnergyStar considers the ASX a 15 SEER (for rebate purposes) unit, he called it a 14+, even tho Amana rates it 14.

Both installers touted the v/s a/h ability for filtration and dehumidifying. The filtration is something I'm looking for b/c me and the kids have allergies. Is it true that with proper filtration (and what would that be) you could run the fan on in the off season to recirculate and filter? Does it actually help the heating system or cause it to work harder?

To bring the Bryant warranty up to 10 year essentially makes both units the same cost. THere doesn't seem to be any compelling reason (save for the lifetime replacement on the compressor) to choose one over the other so I guess I need to narrow down based on the installer.
    That system is rated by Amana in the Amana specifications as a 15 SEER system. The ARI ratings are done by manufacturer's and then submitted to ARI for publication. These ratings are also checked periodically by ARI and Goodman has the best track record of not having been derated by ARI since 1982, just after Goodman purchased the Janitrol company.

Both are good choices, but I always prefer to undersize a little then oversize.
    Training is important!

Post Likes

Bryant vs Amana

Both are good choices, but I always prefer to undersize a little then oversize.

Robo - what do you mean?

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    Nope. Don't like spending $2,000 every time an automatic tranny goes up in one of my vehicles either, but I still buy automatics.

Besides, with an extended 10 year warranty the HO would pay nothing if a motor went up within 10 years and have the benefits of higher efficiency year round along with better filtration and dehumidification. Also, after 10 years of savings from a VS motor, a HO could have enough in savings to buy a new VS blower motor. It's a win-win situation.
    Wouldn't that depend on the static pressure.

Isn't it true the high static VS fans use more watts then their PSC counterparts??

Post Likes
    Should have went with the Trane!! Just kidding Robo We have installed plenty of the ssx14's from Goodman, similar to the Amana without any problems. I think between the 2 I would go with the Amana but you need to base it on the contractor at this point. Definitely get the variable speed, well worth every penny.

Workhc - why would you rather push the standard motor on a home someone is staying in. You don't like your customers to get a more comfy system with better efficiency?
    We only want to do it, if we can do it right.

Post Likes
    Be sure to get a thermostat , that will get all the benefits (venting, dehumidification.etc..)out of the designs of the systems.Your contractor should be able to explain all the options and benefits.....BTW, both systems are nice setups..

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dash View Post

Isn't it true the high static VS fans use more watts then their PSC counterparts??
    If it is an all new install the duct should be designed and installed properly. But I do believe you are right, in high static situations they are or can be less efficient than a PSC motor.
    We only want to do it, if we can do it right.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dash View Post

I have never seen anything to support this, or even heard it. I suppose it could be possible, but if your static is high enough to cause that kind of amp draw, it needs to be addressed. Also, if the static is that high, a psc motor would not be able to overcome the static enough to prevent air flow issues unless a larger HP psc motor were installed.....which is more expensive to operate.

VS motors are not a substitution for repairing static pressure issues, but they do have advantages over psc motors under every adverse application.
    Training is important!

Post Likes
    A-S publishes approximate wattage draws in their specs.

100K 80% downflow 5 ton drive set for 1600ish and getting it

.5" draw is 495 watts
    .9" draw is 595 watts

but at max speed

.5" draw is 800 watts but delivers 2015 CFM
    .9" draw is 725 watts but capability drops to 1740 CFM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in