Buying equipment online
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Buying equipment online

I know what kind of reaction I am going to get but I will ask the question anyway…

I have done the math a few times and if I buy a heat pump, coil and TXV online from a bulk supplier and have it delivered to my home and then pay a HVAC professional a 1 day “labor” fee to hook it all up and test it, I save money.

The math is in my area is tough to argue against. I would put the math on the post but I know the no price policy.

Is buying from an online supplier similar to jumping from a plane with only the pull shoot? They seem to claim the same manufacture warranties, can they make that claim?
    EBay has some rather wonderful prices as do others.

As for a system “match ups” I hope to have a very good idea of what will work, from the many quotes I will be getting over the next 2 months”

FYI: So far the people I have spoken to are willing to install new equipment “right away” – NO ONE has said, “look if you want to do this right we need to do a manual J calc.” Or “Why do you want to go with a set up like that…? we need to calculate heat load and check out other variables 1st” – you get the basic idea

I did have one guy say, you won’t get the true seer out of a unit over 15 SEER without a VS blower, but that was the insightful comment I have heard.

I am not looking to take the food off of anyone’s table but if I can save money and the techs I am speaking to are not going to crunch the real numbers, what’s the point?

So you're going to start your project by wasting a bunch of estimators time who probably get paid on commission?
    Check the fine print in the warranty paperwork of the equipment you want to by off the internet and you will likely see that internet purchases void warranties.
    You will get blasted for this post so get ready...
    How tall are you Private???!!!!

Your point is fair one. I thought that might be the case.

I will pay a true installer who will run the real math. I will not pay up for a “parts swapper”

Quote Originally Posted by jrongo View Post
    I know what kind of reaction I am going to get but I will ask the question anyway…

I have done the math a few times and if I buy a heat pump, coil and TXV online from a bulk supplier and have it delivered to my home and then pay a HVAC professional a 1 day “labor” fee to hook it all up and test it, I save money.

The math is in my area is tough to argue against. I would put the math on the post but I know the no price policy.

Is buying from an online supplier similar to jumping from a plane with only the pull shoot? They seem to claim the same manufacture warranties, can they make that claim?
    EBay has some rather wonderful prices as do others.

As for a system “match ups” I hope to have a very good idea of what will work, from the many quotes I will be getting over the next 2 months”

FYI: So far the people I have spoken to are willing to install new equipment “right away” – NO ONE has said, “look if you want to do this right we need to do a manual J calc.” Or “Why do you want to go with a set up like that…? we need to calculate heat load and check out other variables 1st” – you get the basic idea

I did have one guy say, you won’t get the true seer out of a unit over 15 SEER without a VS blower, but that was the insightful comment I have heard.

I am not looking to take the food off of anyone’s table but if I can save money and the techs I am speaking to are not going to crunch the real numbers, what’s the point?

You could try finding another contractor.

I'm guessing your looking at most affordable units by your comments. If that's not true sorry.

"Neither warranty continues after the unit is removed from the location
    where it was originally installed.

Neither warranty applies to, and no warranty is offered by Goodman
    on, any unit ordered over the Internet."

Goodman Warranty

"THIS WARRANTY DOES NOT COVER:
    1. Any product ordered over the Internet."

Payne Warranty

I believe just about all of them have that in their warranty info. Best to check actual warranty on the actual system your interested in but it's not looking good.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Will the install be permitted by the local building dept.?If not this could come back to haunt you,insurance,or when you sell.

Workmans comp. insurance on the installer?

I won't go into,all it takes to do it right,and service down the road.

I hope the internet can come and repair it under warranty when it breaks.

It all makes perfect sense to me.

The internet is just a series of tubes, and so is an hvac system...

I think its a fair and reasonable question by the OP..... He or she isn't making assumptions, just stating what is in front of them.

I would consider the warranty issue in making this decision. Thats probably where I would decide against an internet puchase If I were in your shoes.

Also, do you have an installer willing to install equipment purchased in this way?

Many of us will not.... and many that will are not the people you want doing the job.

and just for the sake of argument, lets say you had it installed and everybodys happy, you saved a few bucks, and there comes a problem. You call the side jobber back and he comes and takes a look..... he may be willing to make it right, but If its not a workmanship issue he certainly isn't going to pay for it, so he will refer you back to the warranty because he has no resonsibility in that part of it.... BUT the manufacturer may not honor any warranty so then what?

In the end did you save money...?

You did the math but not all of it.

I am always amused by homeowners believing that they will save money by going this rout. What seems to be forgotten is this is not an appliance but a system DESIGNED for your particular home. If the design is incorrect it will not perform to its full capacity. This loss of capacity is gong to cost you every moment the system is running. I did some math some time ago and found that if a person payed 2 times what a typical replacement would cost and it was designed correctly and tested out to operate at the rated capacity they would be money ahead during the life of the equipment as compared to the lower priced unit operating at just 10% lower than full capacity. We deal with this all the time and the customers end up paying us to correct it. I doubt that your quotes will give you the details needed to know what parts to buy and how to know if your systems is going to work properly. Good luck and let us know how well it works out for you and please include some pictures.

JRongo, I went through the same loops when I was considering our new system.

Heck I found a used system on a webisite similar to ebay for $500 bucks, I wont say what brand or any specs so should be ok with the rules....

This system was like 7 years old....

I did have 5 different contractors come through and only 2 actually did a calc test. I went with the one who carried the system, did a calc and was actually lower than anyone else.

For warranty, service, being able to call the guy that put it in and raise hell, ask questions etc.... I am happy with my decision for hiring it done right.

Now with that said, if I was one of these educated experienced techs, or knew 100% what I was doing with an install I may CONSIDER an ebay system.

Later

Is this a positive risk? Will the savings be finaced by your utility bill? Will you sit for days with no a/c-heat? Are you a hardship case or just cheap? What's your time worth? You'll probably find some poor schmuck business or individual to do the install but he may be cheaper than you are.

Sure go ahead and do it. Start a blog of your experience through the life cycle of the install. And if you have a bad experience you can go on CNN and bemoan how you we're ripped off by the air conditioning industry.

I think its a bad idea all the way around.Don't waste your time and money on this.I would never install equipment someone bought off the internet.But I guess there are guys out there that will from what you are saying.

Quote Originally Posted by adrianf View Post
    Is this a positive risk? Will the savings be finaced by your utility bill? Will you sit for days with no a/c-heat? Are you a hardship case or just cheap? What's your time worth? You'll probably find some poor schmuck business or individual to do the install but he may be cheaper than you are.

Sure go ahead and do it. Start a blog of your experience through the life cycle of the install. And if you have a bad experience you can go on CNN and bemoan how you we're ripped off by the air conditioning industry.
    He/she did have question marks next to some of those sentences.

Quote Originally Posted by jrongo View Post

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast