Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by kablammo View Post
    Hello,

I just had a Brand New Trane XL19i Heat Pump installed and within 2 days the 2nd stage compressor went bad. The installer claims that the issue that caused the failure is a manufacturing defect and that they now have to replace the compressor rather than replace the entire unit. Can anybody share any experience on the best fix as I really don't like the idea of total tear down to replace a bad compressor on a brand new unit.

Thanks in advance,

K
    There are two pairs of shoe to wear. This is not a place to ask which pair of shoe to pick.

My only advice: "squeaky wheel gets the oil"

Let's not brand bashing

That just happens to be the brand that was installed for him.It can happen to any brand.What he knows is he got a new unit put in and it is'nt working.
    So yea I would be upset too.

Quote Originally Posted by ksufan View Post
    Little different comparing something that costs $50k to something that costs $2k. They would replace it, if they don't want to tell them your going with Goodman!!
    no difference. and i would like to see that 19i that cost 2k. whats goodman got to do with this post? you want to bring anymore manu's into this?
    If Guns Kill People, Do Pencils Misspell Words?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An2a1...eature=related

Before we work on artificial intelligence why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

First of all thank you everybody for the quick responses. I really do appreciate the all the advice.

A little more information on the story: I went with a company that has been in business for over 10 years and they sub contract through the Home Depot. After the install on the 2nd day of noticing that the Heat Pump and AC was not working I called and had them come out for a look. The company assured me all was okay. . . after a couple of days and many phone calls and conversations assuring me the unit was working properly I called them again and insisted that a tech come out with proper gauges to measure air temp. After the second time the tech was out he finally admitted that the 2nd stage compressor was overheating due to tolerance limits/bearing issue during manufacturing. I don't know how they can diagnosis this with out taking out the compressor for a deeper inspection, but none-the-less that is what they told me.

It has now been almost 2 weeks since the new compressor has been ordered from Trane and the company has done a very, very poor job of staying in communication. Next week it will be a month since the install and I still have yet to have the County Inspector come out for the final inspection.

If things continue in this matter I may approach HD and see what steps they recommend.

Please post any comments - Thanks,

K

Quote Originally Posted by kablammo View Post
    First of all thank you everybody for the quick responses. I really do appreciate the all the advice.

A little more information on the story: I went with a company that has been in business for over 10 years and they sub contract through the Home Depot. After the install on the 2nd day of noticing that the Heat Pump and AC was not working I called and had them come out for a look. The company assured me all was okay. . . after a couple of days and many phone calls and conversations assuring me the unit was working properly I called them again and insisted that a tech come out with proper gauges to measure air temp. After the second time a tech was out they finally admitted that the 2nd stage compressor was overheating due to tolerance limits/bearing issue during manufacturing. I don't know how they can diagnosis this with out taking out the compressor for a deeper inspection, but none-the-less that is what they told me.

It has now been almost 2 weeks since the new compressor has been ordered from Trane and the company has done a very, very poor job of staying in communication. Next week it will be a month since the install and I still have yet to have the County Inspector come out for the final inspection.

If things continue in this matter I may approach HD and see what steps they recommend.

Please post any comments - Thanks,

K
    I'd escalate this to Tyler, TX. Trane distribution has people in place to handle these issues.

2 weeks for a compressor?

That unit would be in the street if it was my house. No way in heck I'd wait two weeks for a warranty compressor on a new unit.
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

To Beachtech

Not Where I Work. The Customer Would Be Given A New Vehicle, A New Engine Would Be Installed And The Vehicle Sold As Used, Most Likely Driven A Few Thousand Miles And Sold As A Demo.

no excuse for waiting a month, tell HD to get it out of the house.

HD sells Trane? Man what can I get at WallMart?
    I r the king of the world!...or at least I get to stand on the roof and look down on the rest of yall

This sounds much more like a contractor failure (the getting this straightened out part, not the compressor failure) more then the manufacturer's fault.

Unfortunately, some contractors use manufacturer's and distributors as an excuse to dawdle with their business obligations. You bought through Home Depot, you would best be served to deal with Home Depot for the repairs.

Unit replacement rather then part replacement is no guarantee of sastisfaction. If there is a system/component issue, it will be found better during a repair. In this case you could just possibly swap one problematic unit for another of the same.

Quote Originally Posted by ksufan View Post
    Little different comparing something that costs $50k to something that costs $2k. They would replace it, if they don't want to tell them your going with Goodman!!
    And that you'll go with xxx brand in 3 months when the Goodmans dead! Sorry, had to say it.

Everything I was going to say. Couldn't agree more.

The dealer's installation of the system is key, not the brand and not the store you bought it from. If it does not work, the dealer/store/distributor/manufacturer should be bending over backwards to get your system running.

I've got 2 19is in my house l have had no problems. Sounds like problem with contractor.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast