Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    How are they determining how much refrigerant ot remove.
    The first time must have been a guess. Or they wouldn't have had to remove any the second time.
    Is the company sending out their lead tech/service manager, or just who ever is available.

The tech hooked up his pressure gauges (red and blue) and took out the r22 on the AC cycle. It was about 57-60 degrees so the chart didn't go that low but the pressure on the RED gauge read ~160psi.

Although I've had a factory rep that had anothe appointment ot get to. I don't recall one ever leaving before they either knew for sure the equipment was going to work right, or they set up for a second appointment.

He left his card and he is the Trane Regional Rep. I'm going to bug him unitl he can come out and hear the line set noise in person.

Did this rep, introduce hiimself as so and so from Trane. Or as so and so from xyz Trane distributor.
    Thanks!

The Blue guage. Is the compound guage. Its the guage that belongs on the low pressure/vapor line. It shouldn't be at 160PSI when the system is running. If its on the vapor service port.
    He may have had it on the liquid line.

Did he have both lines hooked, or just one.
    He guessed at how much to take out.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by kablammo View Post
    Any idea what the part number is???

I'll ask the Trane Rep if he's heard of this fix and if he hasn't I'll ask him to ask higher up the food chain.

The line-set noise is not a mechanical vibration but the sound of fluid/gas going through the pipes. Very similar to water running if you were drawing a bath and could here the water running in the lines.

Thanks!
    Don't know. I am now a Carrier Guy. The problem was a vibration not a fluid sound. The noise could be a non-condensible issue which would explain some of your other issues.

The Blue guage. Is the compound guage. Its the guage that belongs on the low pressure/vapor line. It shouldn't be at 160PSI when the system is running. If its on the vapor service port.
    He may have had it on the liquid line.

Did he have both lines hooked, or just one.
    He guessed at how much to take out.
    You are correct - I got the gauges mixed up, the RED gauge read ~160psi and the BLUE gauge read ~64psi. I was going off of memory and had to go back and look at the picture I took of the gauges.

He measured the weight of the refrigerant on a digital scale and took out when the pressures dropped with in the specs on the service charts. At first the red gauge was reading over 400psi when in heat pump mode which gives off a higher psi value compared to A/C mode. According to the Trane Rep it is more accurate to test pressures in A/C mode.

Thanks again for all your input and I'll keep you posted on what comes of the line-set noise.

K

Yes, it is.

He should have recovered the charge. Measured the line set, and then weighed back in the amount the line set length needs.
    Contractor locator map

Yes, it is.

He should have recovered the charge. Measured the line set, and then weighed back in the amount the line set length needs.
    Line-set is approximately 7ft and when the weather warms (75-80 degrees) up they are going to come out again and re-test pressures. Now if we can figure out the noise issues I'd finally be happy -

Thx,
    K

7', they needed to remove charge when they installed it.
    Contractor locator map

You are correct - I got the gauges mixed up, the RED gauge read ~160psi and the BLUE gauge read ~64psi. I was going off of memory and had to go back and look at the picture I took of the gauges.

He measured the weight of the refrigerant on a digital scale and took out when the pressures dropped with in the specs on the service charts. At first the red gauge was reading over 400psi when in heat pump mode which gives off a higher psi value compared to A/C mode. According to the Trane Rep it is more accurate to test pressures in A/C mode.

Thanks again for all your input and I'll keep you posted on what comes of the line-set noise.

K
    was you taking pictures of the guy while he was working on it?Thats weird.
    But I do know you are having a bad problem and want to document it if thats the case.

7', they needed to remove charge when they installed it.

have not read this intire tread but will soon

you said the lines are 7ft long if memorie serves correct there is a minamun line lenth for most units and i tend to think this is a little shy

most are 10 to 15 ft

I do have the installer set up directions and all seems programmed correctly with the IAQ. I will check the wiring at the HP/Condensor tomorrow but I'm 99% positive it is wired correctly. All dip switches are in the correct position as well.

Update - After the removal of another 2lbs. 7 oz of refrigerant the Heat Pump works!!!!!

This makes a grand total of 3lbs. 6.5 oz of R22 that was removed and everything is working normally EXCEPT the "water running" sound in the internal unit line-set. This sound still bugs me and to me is considered NOT normal for a top of the line unit - it really is noticeable and is more apparent when the Heat Pump on but less noticeable when the AC is on. This must be due to the increase of pressure when the HP is operational vs the AC.

Can anybody take a stab at what would be causing this sound in the internal line-set of the unit??

Everyone has been huge help and I welcome all comments and ideas.

Thanks again ,

K
    Can you let us know what the dip switches are set at , it appears from the pictures they are all in the off position.

On the control panel left side, DHM red and brown wire are going where?

Quote Originally Posted by second opinion View Post
    Can you let us know what the dip switches are set at , it appears from the pictures they are all in the off position.

Switches are set as follows:

1-OFF, 2-ON, 3-ON, 4-OFF, 5-ON, 6-OFF, 7-ON, 8-OFF According to the install manual they are set correctly although the manual says NOTHING about switches 5 & 6

On the control panel left side, DHM red and brown wire are going where?

I'll have a look at these wires when I get home from work tonight. Thanks again for all your help.

K

Recover vacumm and measure

Stop playing around with this customer. Recover. Vacumm. Measure Line length and rise. Wiegh in. Come back when the temp is warmer? Who does that, I agree Trane tech should not leave until problem is resolved. Home Depot & Trane = 100% Customer Satisfaction. I would be pissed if I were this contractor, Once had XL19i 5ton loose a compressor a week after install, tested for acid in the system, had both new compressors in the next day! Homeowner has every right at this point to contact Home Depot and Trane and demand another contractor that knows what he is doing. If you don't know how to install it than don't sell it.

your dip switches are set up for 450 cfm for 3.5 tons. you have a 3 ton. 5/6 are set for 1.5 min. delay on cooling 7/8 are on medium heat.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567