Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Carrier Infinity 19 vs 16 SEER models

Carried Infinity heat pumps 25HNA9 and 25HNA6 are both 2-stage, but one (19 SEER) is a scroll type compressor, while the other one is not. Are scroll compressors a must? What are your thoughts on 25HNA6, that being not a scroll type?

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    The scroll model is the higher SEER,the other is a reciprocating compressor,and has more ability to dehumidify .In a very humidid climate ,with a not so tightly built home the unit with bette dehumidification ,might be the better choice.

Either will be be a big improvement over a single speed.

The Infinity Control is software driven,it has control over the motor and air flow,others have set cfms,where Infinity looks at outdoor temp.,temp. set point,humidity set point,and current progress to the set points,then "decides" on the air flow that will give the best results.This gives a higher level of comfort and a lower cost of operation for the desired set points.

Exclamation Scroll history .. 55 million +

Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

I have obtained so much valuable info on this site! It am making the same decision: 25HNA9 vs 25HNA6. Since I live in Virginia, does this mean that the 16 seer would "fit" the climate better? But the 16 seer can also come with a Scroll compressor, right?
    Overall, would paying 10% more for a 19 seer be best, or is the humidity issue best controlled with the 16 seer?

Here's the deal with the "16 SEER" and "19 SEER":

Its more of a marketing ploy than correct information. You see there is a institution that tests many upon many combinations of heat pumps and air handlers to find their "actual seer". What I'm getting at is that if you were to purchase the 19 SEER Infinity heat pump it is very unlikely that you're actually going to be operating @ 19 Seer. As long as 19 Seer was achieved with just one configuration using the "19 Seer" heat pump then Carrier can market it as such. Same goes for the 16 SEER and this is relavent to ALL manufacturers. My advice, go with the 25HNA6. For the difference in price you're not going to achieve that much more performance. Have you found a contractor yet? Good luck and kudos for going with Infinity
    I am the Stig

This thread is now a year old.

HNA9's qualify for a $ 1500.00 tax credit,in the 2,3,and 4 ton sizes,look into that first.

In 2008 we sold more HNA9'S ,then in the past,no isues with dehumidification,though the 6's have the edge there.

It sounds like it may NOT be cost effective to go with the 25HNA9 by paying an additional 10% more for the system.
    However, Dash is correct that you would receive a $1500 tax credit. The 25HNA6 would qualify for a lesser credit, probably 900-1200 or so.
    But in central Virginia would would the 16 seer be preferable over the 19 seer?

WHen I looked at matches with a Infinity furnace, the 16 had terrible numbers. The Performance 15 blew it out of the water. But maybe it at least dehumidifies well.

Are you saying that on the heating side the specs are not very good. The unit I am looking at would be dual fuel, natural gas.

The 25HNA6 three ton meets the tax credit,the HNA9 would be fine also,higher SEER and Copeland scroll .

Quote Originally Posted by dash View Post
    The 25HNA6 three ton meets the tax credit,the HNA9 would be fine also,higher SEER and Copeland scroll .

Not with any furnace. Only with a VS fan coil. So for dual fual the Inifinity 16 won't work. Similar ratings to the Trane XL16i when matched with a furnace. 15-15.5 SEER and 12EER... and those were with a 120k BTU fuance. With a 100k BTU, the EER drops to 11.6... and even lower with a 80k BTU.

I wanted to match it to a 80% 70k BTU furnace and the ratings dropped into the 14 SEER range. They don't match well with narrow furnaces.

Quote Originally Posted by motoguy128 View Post
    Not with any furnace. Only with a VS fan coil. So for dual fual the Inifinity 16 won't work. Similar ratings to the Trane XL16i when matched with a furnace. 15-15.5 SEER and 12EER... and those were with a 120k BTU fuance. With a 100k BTU, the EER drops to 11.6... and even lower with a 80k BTU.

I wanted to match it to a 80% 70k BTU furnace and the ratings dropped into the 14 SEER range. They don't match well with narrow furnaces.
    True,sorry I'm in a heat pump market ,and often forget not everyone is.

Quote Originally Posted by motoguy128 View Post

Then you recommend the Carrier Performance 15.5 SEER, dual fuel? Is there somewhere a "layman" can view the specifications you are using? If the heating specs deteriorate so much with the Infinity 16, it would seem that Carrier is doing a disservice by selling it.

I dont deal with these issues daily as many of you do, so thanks for the advice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast