Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 18
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    SW MO.
    Posts
    5,212

    Two types of churches.

    I've been wanting to say this for sometime, because non-believers seem to think all Christians and all churches are alike.

    Of course I am making this too simplistic, but this is what I've noticed since moving to the bible belt.

    I grew up going to my grandmothers AOG church. Later around 9 or 10yrs. old, my mother started taking me to a non-denominational church. The very one that Joyce Meyers started her ministry from. So, I have grown up around the belief that despite all of the commandments I will only enter heaven because of the work of one man.

    My wife on the other hand grew up in an AOG church that did not like outsiders. They were very legalistic and did not preach about GRACE. If you were a sinner you were going to hell.

    When I met my wife she had never been taught about GRACE and didn't really want to step into another church because of how she got burnt.(no pun intended)
    But after going to my church she had a revelation.(to her that is) There is such a thing called Grace.

    So flash forward to 5 months ago. We move down south and are looking for a non-denominational church. Not many here with large congregations. Although we don't want the church to be too big, where we will just get lost in the crowd. We tried a few churches. One in particular looked just right. Nice building, daycare, music was good, people of all walks of life. Then the preacher started talking. Yelling I should say. Wagging his finger at us and saying if you have any hate or animosity in your heart you are going to hell.

    Needless to say we left before he got done preaching.

    One day I was talking to our neighbor and he suggested going to his Baptist church. Baptist? Would have never thought of trying a Baptist church. I had pictures of my wife's old preacher in my head when thinking about Baptist churches. Turns out they are a blended church. They joke that the Baptist convention calls them a cult(that's a joke). They refer to themselves as Bapticostal. The pastor doesn't preach about hellfire and damnation, and he certainly isn't going to call you a sinner every Sunday.

    See, there are two types of churches. Ones that will guilt you into believing what they want you to believe and the other that says we don't care what kind of life you have led, you are welcome here.

    I think the story of the woman about to be stoned says it best. John 8.

    1But Jesus went to the Mount of Olives. 2At dawn he appeared again in the temple courts, where all the people gathered around him, and he sat down to teach them. 3The teachers of the law and the Pharisees brought in a woman caught in adultery. They made her stand before the group 4and said to Jesus, "Teacher, this woman was caught in the act of adultery. 5In the Law Moses commanded us to stone such women. Now what do you say?" 6They were using this question as a trap, in order to have a basis for accusing him.

    But Jesus bent down and started to write on the ground with his finger. 7When they kept on questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "If any one of you is without sin, let him be the first to throw a stone at her." 8Again he stooped down and wrote on the ground.

    9At this, those who heard began to go away one at a time, the older ones first, until only Jesus was left, with the woman still standing there. 10Jesus straightened up and asked her, "Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you?"
    11"No one, sir," she said.
    "Then neither do I condemn you," Jesus declared. "Go now and leave your life of sin."


    "Neither do I condemn you." Jesus said.


    Why is it that our churches have so many accusers? This is why I believe so many people don't like Christians. They think we are all just a bunch of hypocrites. When in fact no one person is better than the next. No Christian is perfect. If he says he is then he is a liar. As Christians we are only trying to better ourselves and show the mercy and compassion of God through us.

    John 13
    34"A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. 35By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another."


    JM2C
    Last edited by chaard; 03-05-2008 at 04:30 PM.
    Discipline your child so that other parents don't have to.

    We're awl pawthetic and kweepy and can't get giwrls. That's why we fight wobots.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    9,564
    From Religious Tolerance: "John 8:1-11: This is the story of the woman who was found committing adultery. The Mosaic Code required that she and her lover be stoned to death. Unlike many other passages in the Gospel where Jesus is reported as having either negated or reinterpreted a law in the Mosaic Code, he simply asks that the first stone be cast by one who is without sin. Of course, none of the accusers was without sin; none could start the execution process.

    Not too much importance should be placed on this passage, as it is apparently a forgery, not written by the author(s) of the Gospel of John. In various ancient manuscripts it is either missing, or in John 8, or after John 7:36, or after Luke 21:38, or at the end of Luke. It appears to have been a favorite early Christian story spread orally. and incorporated into various gospels."

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    SW MO.
    Posts
    5,212
    Quote Originally Posted by sysint View Post
    From Religious Tolerance: "John 8:1-11: This is the story of the woman who was found committing adultery. The Mosaic Code required that she and her lover be stoned to death. Unlike many other passages in the Gospel where Jesus is reported as having either negated or reinterpreted a law in the Mosaic Code, he simply asks that the first stone be cast by one who is without sin. Of course, none of the accusers was without sin; none could start the execution process.

    Not too much importance should be placed on this passage, as it is apparently a forgery, not written by the author(s) of the Gospel of John. In various ancient manuscripts it is either missing, or in John 8, or after John 7:36, or after Luke 21:38, or at the end of Luke. It appears to have been a favorite early Christian story spread orally. and incorporated into various gospels."
    My point again. Let's just throw out all of the things in the Bible we don't agree with and enforce our own brand of justice.
    Discipline your child so that other parents don't have to.

    We're awl pawthetic and kweepy and can't get giwrls. That's why we fight wobots.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    OK
    Posts
    2,144
    Sometimes I wonder how a business stays in business if they treat others the way I was treated. Yet they seem to have their own loyal customer base that keeps them around. I think churches are often the same way. My belief is pretty simple, Have you accepted Jesus as you personal lord and savior?
    If yes, you will go to heaven, if no you are not. The rest is just details and the details are why there are different denominations. Keep in mind that with Southern Baptists, each church is autonomous and may hold some different beliefs than other Southern Baptist Churches.
    Never knock on Death's door. Ring the bell and run, he hates that.

    Views expressed here are my own and not neccessarily those of any company I am affiliated with.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,125
    Quote Originally Posted by chaard View Post
    I've been wanting to say this for sometime, because non-believers seem to think all Christians and all churches are alike.

    Of course I am making this too simplistic, but this is what I've noticed since moving to the bible belt.

    I grew up going to my grandmothers AOG church. Later around 9 or 10yrs. old, my mother started taking me to a non-denominational church. The very one that Joyce Meyers started her ministry from. So, I have grown up around the belief that despite all of the commandments I will only enter heaven because of the work of one man.

    My wife on the other hand grew up in an AOG church that did not like outsiders. They were very legalistic and did not preach about GRACE. If you were a sinner you were going to hell.

    When I met my wife she had never been taught about GRACE and didn't really want to step into another church because of how she got burnt.(no pun intended)
    But after going to my church she had a revelation.(to her that is) There is such a thing called Grace.

    So flash forward to 5 months ago. We move down south and are looking for a non-denominational church. Not many here with large congregations. Although we don't want the church to be too big, where we will just get lost in the crowd. We tried a few churches. One in particular looked just right. Nice building, daycare, music was good, people of all walks of life. Then the preacher started talking. Yelling I should say. Wagging his finger at us and saying if you have any hate or animosity in your heart you are going to hell.

    Needless to say we left before he got done preaching.

    One day I was talking to our neighbor and he suggested going to his Baptist church. Baptist? Would have never thought of trying a Baptist church. I had pictures of my wife's old preacher in my head when thinking about Baptist churches. Turns out they are a blended church. They joke that the Baptist convention calls them a cult(that's a joke). They refer to themselves as Bapticostal. The pastor doesn't preach about hellfire and damnation, and he certainly isn't going to call you a sinner every Sunday.

    See, there are two types of churches. Ones that will guilt you into believing what they want you to believe and the other that says we don't care what kind of life you have led, you are welcome here.

    I think the story of the woman about to be stoned says it best. John 8.

    1But Jesus went to the Mount of Olives. 2At dawn he appeared again in the temple courts, where all the people gathered around him, and he sat down to teach them. 3The teachers of the law and the Pharisees brought in a woman caught in adultery. They made her stand before the group 4and said to Jesus, "Teacher, this woman was caught in the act of adultery. 5In the Law Moses commanded us to stone such women. Now what do you say?" 6They were using this question as a trap, in order to have a basis for accusing him.

    But Jesus bent down and started to write on the ground with his finger. 7When they kept on questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "If any one of you is without sin, let him be the first to throw a stone at her." 8Again he stooped down and wrote on the ground.

    9At this, those who heard began to go away one at a time, the older ones first, until only Jesus was left, with the woman still standing there. 10Jesus straightened up and asked her, "Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you?"
    11"No one, sir," she said.
    "Then neither do I condemn you," Jesus declared. "Go now and leave your life of sin."


    "Neither do I condemn you." Jesus said.


    Why is it that our churches have so many accusers? This is why I believe so many people don't like Christians. They think we are all just a bunch of hypocrites. When in fact no one person is better than the next. No Christian is perfect. If he says he is then he is a liar. As Christians we are only trying to better ourselves and show the mercy and compassion of God through us.

    John 13
    34"A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. 35By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another."


    JM2C
    That's exactly why a lot of people don't get it. There's to many churches preaching at people, all preaching something different. If they were all preaching the word of god, wouldn't they all have the same message? And who wants to be told they're going to hell by someone who will be leading the way.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    SW MO.
    Posts
    5,212
    Quote Originally Posted by air311 View Post
    That's exactly why a lot of people don't get it. There's to many churches preaching at people, all preaching something different. If they were all preaching the word of god, wouldn't they all have the same message? And who wants to be told they're going to hell by someone who will be leading the way.
    I here ya'.

    Don't forget that the priest walked around the man that had been beaten and robbed. It took a good Samaritan to show compassion. I'm not trying to bash preachers at all. But we all are in the same boat and it is going down.
    Last edited by chaard; 03-05-2008 at 04:58 PM.
    Discipline your child so that other parents don't have to.

    We're awl pawthetic and kweepy and can't get giwrls. That's why we fight wobots.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    9,564
    Quote Originally Posted by chaard View Post
    My point again. Let's just throw out all of the things in the Bible we don't agree with and enforce our own brand of justice.
    That's entirely not the point. The passage appears in manuscripts AFTER 500 AD. So, it's authenticity is rightly questioned.

    My point again... Let's just ADD IN all of the things we want in the Bible and enforce our own brand of justice.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    20,677
    Quote Originally Posted by air311 View Post
    If they were all preaching the word of god, wouldn't they all have the same message?
    Yes, they would. The only conclusion one can draw is that some are not preaching the Word of God. Very simple.
    No reserve. No retreat. No regrets.

    For those who have fought for it, freedom has a sweetness the protected will never know.

    http://www.airwarvietnam.com/16thSOSGunners2.jpg

    Proud member of KA Club

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    12,189
    Quote Originally Posted by sysint View Post
    That's entirely not the point. The passage appears in manuscripts AFTER 500 AD. So, it's authenticity is rightly questioned.

    My point again... Let's just ADD IN all of the things we want in the Bible and enforce our own brand of justice.
    Would that be the manuscripts that omitted John 8:1-11 because it taught grace? Many in the early church wanted to abandon the concept of grace. They took a very hard stance against sin and the sinful nature of man. Rather than preach grace, they preached a strict living.
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Woburn, MA
    Posts
    6,729
    I've been wanting to say this for sometime, because non-believers seem to think all Christians and all churches are alike.
    That's a nice OP. Well said.

    As far as this quote goes, though, I don't think ARP visitors think that. In fact, when I get in to these discussions it kind of becomes an issue because there is only one of me, but there are several different flavors of believer which, at times, can muck up the waters a bit.
    "Social networking" is an oxymoron.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    SW MO.
    Posts
    5,212
    Not the same as in what we believe, but to an unbeliever, the same as in we all are so called Christians wanting to force religion down someones throat, when supposedly we all are just a bunch of hypocrites.
    Discipline your child so that other parents don't have to.

    We're awl pawthetic and kweepy and can't get giwrls. That's why we fight wobots.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    NW AR
    Posts
    2,478
    Quote Originally Posted by bootlen View Post
    Yes, they would. The only conclusion one can draw is that some are not preaching the Word of God. Very simple.
    Which ones though?

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    20,677
    Quote Originally Posted by ar_hvac_man View Post
    Which ones though?
    Ask God to teach you and then read Scripture for yourself. If what they preach does not jive, find out why. If the answer does not jive, find another church. Let Scripture interpret Scripture.
    No reserve. No retreat. No regrets.

    For those who have fought for it, freedom has a sweetness the protected will never know.

    http://www.airwarvietnam.com/16thSOSGunners2.jpg

    Proud member of KA Club

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event