Thread: 2 Easy Questions

Post Likes

2 Easy Questions

I have a Honeywell Electronic Air Cleaner on my Carrier system. This unit is in the attic and turns on and off by a "flag" switch, I believe they are called. Anyway, the switch either needs to be replaced or cleaned often which is a problem. A technician told me that I could replace my electronic filters with standard HEPA filters since they are exactly the same size. Is this correct? And will I noticed any reduction in air flow using HEPA filters which are 4 inches thick versus the electronic units?

My second question concerns a distant bedroom that is always colder in winter and hotter in summer. Is there a flow "pulling" fan that can be added to the longer duct work to move air to this bedroom? If yes, can it be installed by me or does it require a pro?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Post Likes
    Get rid of the EAC and install a media type filter great idea. Usually the blower wheel collects all the dust that the EAC doesnt get. Second does that room have enough return air going back to the furnace or even have a return in it.

Post Likes
    Ditto on "get rid of the EAC". Be sure to disconnect power to EAC. NOT a DIY project. Duct work to furthest room is probably the culprit for colder room. Maybe just a larger supply run is the answer, if the rest of the house is pretty even.

Post Likes
    Thank you for your responses. First, I doubt I need to disconnect the power to the Honeywell Air Cleaner since it has an on/off switch on it. When I switch it to the off position, the green light goes off. So, I would imagine the power is off the the unit.

Second, the bedroom with the problem has two ceiling register vents and no return. I looked in the attic and it has one long square shaped duct going to it but that long duct also has ducts that lead to the second and closer bedroom and a bathroom too. The second bedroom is always warmer and cooler and so is the bathroom. I just feel that the air "force" out at the ceiling registers isn't as strong in this one bedroom that is the furthest from the actual unit in the attic.

Thanks again.

Post Likes
    If the 2nd bedroom is getting too warm when the furnace runs, or too cool when the a/c runs, you probably need balancing dampers installed so more air can be directed toward the bedroom that never gets warm or cool enough. It is also important that all bedrooms have sufficient return air means.

Here's how you can test for that as for possibly contributing to your problem. Leave the door open in the room that is never warm or cool enough. Does it then become more comfortable after leaving the door open for, say, a few hours? If it does, you need more return air provision. Most of the time, the contractor relies on the gap below the bedroom entry door to serve as a return air path. If the cut is high enough and there isn't carpet obstructing part of that gap, it may be enough. If the cut is low and/or carpet is present, it may not (many times it is not, either way). If the gap is small, a transfer grill or transfer duct (sometimes called a "jumper" duct) should be installed by a pro. Balancing dampers on the supply side to remedy your temperature imbalance between the two rooms may also be needed.

Post Likes
    Hey Gaston - sounds like you have a pretty good idea of how things should be done - however - the next owner of your home (or whoever) may turn that switch back on, stick their paws in there (for whatever reason), and - well you know the rest.
    I would have the power disconnected in a safe manner.
    The media filter really is a great way to go. The EAC is a pain to clean, and really doesn't get all the stuff that can damage your system.
    The media filters do a really good job.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in