Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I want to build a deck over my compressor

My AC compressors are located exactly where I want to build a deck. How much clearance do I need from the top of the compressor to the bottom of the deck. Is this even advisable.

I have 2 units.

International Comfort Products
    Model AG042GB2 Style 42MCD-000095ZR
    Model AG030GB2 Style 30MCE-000095ZR

I tried looking up the model numbers to get the specs or manuals but I couldn't find anything. Any info will help. Thanks in advance

If these units discharge the air out the top you will need a min. of 60".
    That is the minimum clearance, and i would not build a deck over the units at all.

move the units.

I likewise would not install any deck above my outdoor units

I've done service calls to units located under decks. One unit I remember in particular...it was a side discharge model, which would seem okay for use under a deck. It was not. In spite of the side discharge, the unit ran higher than normal head pressure due to recirculation of heated air discharged from the front of the unit. I advised the homeowner that the unit should be moved out from under the deck, but that advice to my knowledge went unheeded.

You do not want to obstruct, at all, the air flowing out of a top discharge condenser, which most models are these days. Either have the condensers moved or alter your deck plans so the condenser intake and discharge air paths are not obstructed. You should also not build your deck in a fashion that makes the units hard to service. It will cost you more when that time comes if you do.

wish I had pictures of a condenser we did a few yrs ago, the HO built a deck AROUND the condenser, can't get to the service valves but I guess everything else is accessable through the top if I sawsall the screw heads off!! they did a very nice job of mitering the corner of the boards to fit nicely around the trane xe1000 so that nothing will roll of the deck and go through a hole. gotta be getting close to time to service it, haven't clean off the cottonseed since the deck was built and thats been probably 4-5 yrs.

Sad part is the FSR from Gus Larson has a pic just like it in his WOS pics and it isn't in the same town of the one I know of.
    You can't fix stupid

Just about every manufacturer requires a 5 foot clearance for an "obstruction" above the unit.
    Some people think this means that it is ok to build a deck, roof, whatever, 5ft above the unit. It is not.
    A deck would be a lot more than an "obstruction". To operate correctly, the area the unit is in needs to be ventilated well so that heat doesn't build up in the area. Even if you were able to actually get 5ft clearance to the deck, the deck covering the whole area around the unit would hinder circulation.

Have the units moved.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Well that didn't take long.

I guess I'll have to move the units. The units do discharge out the top. My current plans only show about 2 feet of clearance from the top to the unit to the bottom of the deck. The rest of the unit in easily accessible though

In order to move the units. Is it just a matter of putting an elbow on the pipes coming out of the house and extending the pipe several feet or do I need to reconfigure the pipes inside and come straight out of the house. Not that I will be doing it, but I just want to get a idea of what the job will take.

depends on the length of the lines right now and max total length for the units you have, then it is just aesthetics of having lineset running along the outside of the wall, or hiding it all indoors.
    You can't fix stupid

Quote Originally Posted by jmarcar View Post
    Well that didn't take long.

I guess I'll have to move the units. The units do discharge out the top. My current plans only show about 2 feet of clearance from the top to the unit to the bottom of the deck. The rest of the unit in easily accessible though

In order to move the units. Is it just a matter of putting an elbow on the pipes coming out of the house and extending the pipe several feet or do I need to reconfigure the pipes inside and come straight out of the house. Not that I will be doing it, but I just want to get a idea of what the job will take.
    If the units are located close to the home, why not build the deck around them and leave enough room for service and no obstructions above?

Quote Originally Posted by charliebear View Post
    If the units are located close to the home, why not build the deck around them and leave enough room for service and no obstructions above?
    and you will go to service them?

i would deff. move the units away from any and all obstructions. when tackling a project like this always think of the guy that has to service the item you are about to obstruct and as you have, inquire and see if it is a good idea or not. and please don't surround them with holly bushes, your service technician will thank you for that
    If Guns Kill People, Do Pencils Misspell Words?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An2a1...eature=related

Before we work on artificial intelligence why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

How much work to extend the refrigerant lines, and the electric is something that a contractor will have to look at.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Would anyone actually want to sit on a deck with 2 condensers blowing hot air from 2' below?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast