Help with going from electric baseboard to new attic HVAC system

I currently have an old HVAC system in my attic that does not work very well. When the temp is below 40 I have to turn on my electric baseboard heat and I am spending close to $400.00 a month for my 1700 sq ft ranch.

Just looking for suggestions on the TOP and most efficient heat pumps, duct work and air handlers to install. I am getting a lot of quotes but they are all over the place. Some suggesting 16 SEER others 19 SEER and no one wants to give me details on duct work. HELP

Feel free to post or send me an email directly
    Last edited by BaldLoonie; 03-05-2008 at 05:59 AM. Reason: please put e-mail in profile

Though not in the HVAC business, from my learning here I can tell you this:

1. Email needs to be in profile as it attracts spam bots to the site with it being in the post
    2. The Carrier Infinity heat pump system is definitely something to look into, the 19 SEER model for your case probably--it offers great control over your indoor air quality and comfort as well as good efficiency ratings. This is not the only system out there though
    3. You can check true efficiencies/capacities at the ARI directory website.

You forgot to tell him the most important part Ryan. With as much reading as you've done, I'm sure you know what that is. The most important part is also why he's so confused.

I assume you have a heat pump myokay?

Quote Originally Posted by Irascible View Post
    You forgot to tell him the most important part Ryan. With as much reading as you've done, I'm sure you know what that is. The most important part is also why he's so confused.

I assume you have a heat pump myokay?
    Make sure a competent dealer performs a load calculation to determine proper sizing of your system. I was fortunate enough to find one in my area.

katohvac is offline Waiting Email Confirmation

Things to look for!

If they are giving u quotes they should be going over the whole job, telling u what they are going to do as well as what they are going to put in. The duct work is part of the job it would be nice to see what A contractor is doing compared to B contractor this would make a easier decision, and as a contractor I try to go over everything so I can to impress my customer, I do heat gain heat lost, measure windows, measure the house, windows and insolation so I can get the proper system.
    These are some of the things u should be looking for, this will help u make a better decision.

Equipment is only as good as the install.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanHughes View Post
    Make sure a competent dealer performs a load calculation to determine proper sizing of your system.
    Indeed. The load calc is only the beginning. I'd say to just make sure a competent contractor performs in general.

Ask lots of questions on how he plans to perform the job myokay. Get focused too much on the minutia of how one OEM is supposedly better than another and you'll fall into the brand trap. The contractor is the builder of your system. The OEM is a parts provider. Read the third link in my sig. If you want details, read the first. But be careful what you ask for.