Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    They replaced the ignighter, nozzle and transformer, prices were not included since they were covered by the service contract.

They just sent me this info:

UNFORTUNATELY WHEN NEWS OF WEIL MCLAIN'S DECISION TO NOT SUPPORT THE QB BURNER HAD SURFACED MANY COMPANIES THAT HAD INSTALLED THEM BOUGHT UP THE AVAILABLE STOCK AT THAT TIME. A COMPANY THAT I WORKED FOR AT THAT TIME DID ACCUMULATE A GOOD AMOUNT OF STOCK AND BY THE I LEFT WE WERE LOOKING FOR PARTS THAT WERE AND WILL NOT EVER BE AVAILABLE AGAIN. THE PARTS THAT ARE UNAVAILABLE ARE O.E.M. PARTS (ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT MANUFACTURER). THE SECOND PARTY PARTS THAT ARE AVAILABLE ARE MOTOR, PUMP, TRANSFORMER, AND ELECTRODES, ALTHOUGH NOT EVERYBODY IS STOCKING THE TRANSFORMER , ELECTRODES AND TRANSFORMER LEADS. THE CAM FITTING ON THE DRAW ASSEMBLY HAS BEEN ONE OF THE MOST TROUBLESOME PARTS. IT LEAKS OIL INTO THE BURNER AND IS NOT ATTAINABLE. AS IS ANY PART OF THE HOUSING.

Sounds critical, any comments?

Thanks, RobRoy

Its a good sales tool.

I'll stop short of calling it a scare tatic.
    But if it was a scare tatic, is it working on you?

I'm guessing that these 3 parts were change individually. 1 each service call?

1 problem with part and labor inclusive service agreements with some companies, is that they try the cheap part first, and hope that fixes it. When the unit works they leave with out checking anything else.
    When it stops working again they try the next cheapest part. etc,etc.
    Which of course loses them money, and greatly inconviences you.(er, I mean a the customer)

Not that this company is one of those companies.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

The parts they replaced are all standard items. I carry two different ignition transformers on the truck and a variety of base plates that can made to fit almost every common burner. I'm not sure what he's calling the cam fitting, because what I think is the adjustable cam fitting, doesn't have any oil going through it.

As for the other things, here's what he really said:
    We do stock parts like motor, pump, and electrodes. We just proved to you that we stock the transformer, but we think MAYBE other companies don't. If you need a part we don't normally stock, we don't feel like trying to find it. You have a service contract with us, and we can't charge you for the time looking for and odering it. We want to sell you a new burner because 1) we can make money on that sale, and 2) it will be easier and less time consuming for us to install parts we stock.

Hi beenthere, yup, sorta of scaring me a bit. Some suggest "go to someone else". Problem is, this is the largest oil company around our area which is south of Boston. For years they have been buying up small oil companies. Now they must have a dozen or so large and small companies under their belt. Is a smaller company going to have the rare parts available in a short time? Could they give me a better price?

Would it do any good to ask to see the president of the company and get some straight answers? Ask them about spare parts inventory, using inferior parts, maintenance policy, etc.? Review all the maintenance calls and parts replaced in the past 10 years?

I'm 72, have been retired for 8 years and extra costs like this bothers me. They sold be the original boiler and burner about 15 years ago and maintained it since then.

Frustrated...

They're trying to scare you, and they're doing a good job. I hate companies like that. All they worry about is bottom line. I used to work for a company like that, and when parts weren't used enough, they went in the trash container. It wasn't economically feasible for them to stock the obsolete parts.

You'll never get to see the president of the company, and if you did, you wouldn't get any satisfaction.

Definitely call other companies. It won't cost you anything. Guys leave and start their own companies all the time. Ask neighbors and friends. Do an internet search, yellow pages, etc. Most small companies provide better service than large companies. Can't answer about price.

Geez, slllllooooowww down here.

The QB burner is dead...good thing, it had no business being made in the first place. It offered one advantage to WM, they produced it so they made more $$ off a packaged boiler than having to buy an industry proven Beckett or Carlin burner and including those on their boiler. Though you could have the Beckett or Carlin burner if you asked for it specifically.

I've never had an issue with the QB actually....they are touchy no doubt, but once you find the right nozzle and set the electrodes accurately, they work decent. The electrode assembly is a design blunder and that is likely the OP's route problem. Once the electrodes get too worn, it must be replaced and the assembly is hard to get. The 14,000 volt ignitor should really help your problems, but that is really just masking the likely well worn electrode assembly.

You really should 'warm-up' to the new burner cost rather than having to worry about the crappy QB burner.

Be glad you got a WM boiler....if it were a Burnham V7, you'd be lookin at replacing the entire boiler instead, YIKES!!!!

Once a seed is planted it grows.

They have set doubt in mind. You probaly didn't stop thinking about this last night.
    Although you probaly have years of service left in that burner. You're not going to be comfortable with that burner if it makes a new sound.
    The tech that was out there first, did the min to get your heat going, and thats helped to put the doubt in your mind. Had he replaced those 3 parts at one time. You would be thinking how good their service is, taking care of those 3 things at one time.

My Guess.
    Nozzle first service call.
    Ignitor assembly second call.
    Transformer third service call.

I recommend you consider a new burner. Save up for it, and have it done in the fall.

Get your piece of mind back, and enjoy your retirement.
    Contractor locator map

If you do consider a new burner, you should definitely negotiate a lower price with them. They should almost give it to you for what it cost them. Why? Because every service call on your present burner is eating into their profit of your service contract.

Quote Originally Posted by bobb25 View Post
    If you do consider a new burner, you should definitely negotiate a lower price with them. They should almost give it to you for what it cost them. Why? Because every service call on your present burner is eating into their profit of your service contract.
    No, they shouldn't.
    This gentleman could seel teh house and move next year. The new owners could use a different company for service, or not get a service contract.

Fortunately for you. No one is giving this type of BAD advise/opinion to YOUR customers.
    Contractor locator map

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    No, they shouldn't.
    This gentleman could seel teh house and move next year. The new owners could use a different company for service, or not get a service contract.

Fortunately for you. No one is giving this type of BAD advise/opinion to YOUR customers.
    You seem to be worried about the oil company's profits. It makes good business sense to sell him the burner at cost. At three service calls this year, they've probably already lost money on him. If they give him a burner at cost and pay a guy to install it, it will cost them as much as one more service call. Don't forget, they're making money on oil sales to him. If he gets mad and cancels the contract and gets a new burner from somewhere else, they've not only lost a customer, they've lost his good will and he'll be sure to tell everyone he knows about it.

I'm well aware of the $0.15 per gal oil companies are allowed to make in this state.
    I know how its calculated.

I'm not worried about their profit per say.

But in this state they would lose less money if the sold him 3000 gals of oil at cost.

What they are or aren't allowed to make in his state I don't know.
    Contractor locator map

I just had my last oil delivery for the season. The account goes from 7/1/yr1 to 6/30/yr1+1.
    '05-'06 899 gals
    '06-'07 920 gals
    '07-'08 895 gals
    Looking at the published Cumulative Heating Degree Days for Boston, Ma. and Falmouth, Ma. (Braintree, Ma. is in between) it shows that the DDs for '04, '05, '07,'08 are about the same and that the DDs for '06 was much warmer by about 600-700 DDs. Although the oil deliveries shown above don't show this if I add the gallons just for '06 and just for '07 I get 985 gals for '06 and 1,139 gals for '07. This info indicate to me that the boiler has not become more inefficient over the past 3 years.
    Is the oil usage reasonable for a 41 year old Garrison Colonial with 2 floors (2,435 ft-sq liv space) a partial cellar and full attic?
    If interested click below to see it:

http://mywebpage.netscape.com/liveup...use/myhome.htm

Is my analysis correct about boiler efficiency?
    Thanks

Your averaging 904 a year.
    Do you also get your hot water from it.
    Contractor locator map

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast