Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Weil-Mclain burners dead?

I have had a W-M oil fired hot water boiler with a W-M burner for many years with no complaints except recently. After numerous failures of the burner system so we woke up to a cold house I sent an email to the company who maintains my system about replacing the W-M burner and got this response:
    WEIL MCLAIN HAS DROPPED OIL BURNERS FROM ITS PRODUCT LINE. CERTAIN REPAIR PARTS WERE BECOMMING UNAVAILABLE THEREFORE THEY ELIMINATED THEIR BURNER LINE.
    Is this correct? I see no reference to this searching the internet.
    They are suggesting a Carlin Ez Burner with 1 year maintenance contract for $XXXX.
    Is this a reliable burner and is the cost reasonable?

Thanks
    Last edited by HeyBob; 03-04-2008 at 08:18 PM. Reason: Removed Pricing

Call another company. I bought a W-M oil fired boiler last week. I know they had their own burner for a while, not sure what the status is, everything I have purchased lately has been a Beckett.

Please no pricing in your posts.

They do not make the burners, just the boilers. Get the carlin.
    Aire Serv of SW Connecticut- Gas heat, dual fuel and central a/c systems installed and serviced

Confused

Can someone tell me just what part of a weil mclain burner is not replaceable due to not being manufactured anymore? What part of this only works with wel mclain parts and why?

I have not come across a weil mclain yet but have seen many becketts with the units "brand" on it i.e. a "thermopride" burner, is nothing but a beckett- a "texaco" burner, nothing but a beckett- Some units do the same with wayne burners- they may not say wayne or beckett on them but they are-

The Weil McLain QB oil burner is no longer in production.
    Its been discontinued for some years now. It was a bit of a probmatic burner.
    Many of the parts can be changed out to aftermarket parts.
    I would consider changing service companies, since they sent you this reply with out looking at whats wrong.

I still service QB burners.

The Carlin EZ is a reliable and efficient burner.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Like beenthere said, the Weil McLain burner is no longer made. About the only thing on it (that I can remember) that's not a standard off-the-shelf replacement part, is the blast tube and end cone, which are still available. If you're service company is telling you that you need a whole new burner, just because they can't keep it running, get a new company. You most likely have other problems that are unrelated to the design of the Weil burner. If you decide on a new burner, look into Beckett also, and definitely get a service contract, because you will most likely have the same problems with any other burner.

The dealer said something like ... the inventor of the patented "blast tube and end cone" (one or the other) withdrew his patent from W-M and no acceptable after market supplier has been found. Since there is no replacement, no matter how many were produced before it died, won't dealers eventually run out of that part?

Hey "beenthere" how many do you have access to? Do you see a forseeable future when no more can be found?

Any one of you professionals -
    How many of these "original replacement parts" are available in the US for you to order quickly?

The last 3 burner failures occured during the night and in the morning the house was darn cold. I called by 8 am and they came and fixed the failed part such that by noon the heat was back on. I was lucky that the outside temp was above 25 degrees. If the temp were around 0 or below (could have been here in Ma.) we would have frozen to death (exaggeration).

If you did not have any more on your shelves can get some within a few hours to fix a burner quickly?

Should I (or dealer) order some (2 or 3?) for my use only? Could that add years to the life of my burner?

Thanks

Don't know how many, never bothered to count.

The blast tube and end cone don't need replaced unless something else went wrong first.

I wouldn't buy a spare blast tube and end cone. It would be peice of mind, but you could be sitting on them for ever, and never need them.

When it goes, replace the burner.

If you don't want to risk it going on a weekend or in the middle of the night. Then have a new burner installed.

Those parts have been hard to come by for some time now. Makes you wonder why they only mentioned it to you now.
    Contractor locator map

I know the boss does not want us to discuss cost but this is hypothetical:
    if a "blast tube, etc" spare part costs $50 and can be replaced in a few hours and a new burner costs $300 with a long installment time and all other parts are covered costwise by my service contract isn't it prudent to go with the spare part?

About Service Contracts (SC): If the entire burner is covered by the SC isn't the Maintenance Company (MC) obliged to always keep spare parts available for my burner?
    If a spare part is not available shouldn't the MC inform me about it?

The only reason the "blast tube, etc." subject has come up is after I had 3 night time failures I emailed them questioning them about the burner's reliability.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by olrob View Post
    About Service Contracts (SC): If the entire burner is covered by the SC isn't the Maintenance Company (MC) obliged to always keep spare parts available for my burner?

If a spare part is not available shouldn't the MC inform me about it?

The only reason the "blast tube, etc." subject has come up is after I had 3 night time failures I emailed them questioning them about the burner's reliability.

Thanks
    Not even hypothetical prices.

Only parts that are standard wear and tear parts.

They may not have a system that tracks what equipment customers have, so that they may not be able to inform customers.

Notices like this are sometimes frowned upon by some customers, they may feel it is a sales ploy or scam.

Imagine this.

A customer such as yourself, with a service contract. You receive a letter simular to this.

Dear Customer.

We have been informed by xyz that part widget16 is no longer available for the Henry.
    To prevent you from suffering from a needless non repairable break down.
    We recommend a Winkler 6000 be installed in place of the Henry to provide you reliable performance.
    Please call at your convienence for an appointment.

Sounds more like a sale doesn't it.

Unless one of those techs actually looked, it may not even be bad.
    Do you get a copy of the service report?
    If so, does it mention anything about it.

Some times we're not informed about discontinued parts, until after we need one.
    Contractor locator map

Qb - Pos

I've had the pleasure of installing and therefore serving a number of these fine pieces of equipment. Weil McClain should be proud to have their name on it. They seem to work even worse with a power vent system.

Weil McClain and I have parted company because it seems everything they make either outdated or it doesn’t work.... I won't even start on their warrantee policy.

Lets think outside of the box abit. What did they actually repair three times? I bet it wasnt the blast tube or the end cone. A quick guess is other issues, possibly poor setup, electrode misalignment, or some other set up problem. Can you post the repairs made without using prices?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast