Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Rinnai tankless water heater problem

We have installed a bunch of Rinnai units without problems. One exception has a problem no one can figure out. When a shower is in progress, after about 1 minute the heater shuts down for a few seconds, which delivers a few seconds of cold water (not fun for the occupant) then ramps back up and doesn't do it again. We have checked everything 4-5 times and redone the flue once. Nothing changes. The Rinnai factory guy can' figure it out. Anybody else have this problem?

When you talked to the factory tech, did he address the safety recall on them.

Sorry, I can't help you with the intermitant hot water problem.
    If it happens every time. Have one guy go up stairs and run the showe, and you stay at the heater, and check for what ever device is dropping ouot.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Could be a couple of things. A sudden drop in water pressure or gas pressure is most likely.

The rinnai wants a certain water pressure level to run, could be your supply has erratic pressure and at some points you're dropping below its level to stay on.

A gas blockage or drop in gas pressure could produce similar results.

I also heard that some of the Rinnai's have problems with condensate from the duct backing up into the unit and when it senses that, it temporarily cuts the flame. Theres supposed to be an integrated system to eliminate excess condensate, but it may not be functioning properly.

You've discovered some of the many issues with a real-time system...

Get a water pressure gauge (ten bucks) hook it to the end of a hose and drag it over to the WH. Have someone turn the shower on. See if the flame drop is accompanied by a water pressure drop on the gauge.

had that problem with the shower going cold , customer had temp of water to high triggering scald guard in the mixing valve in shower causing it to go cold for a few seconds turn temp down

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    When you talked to the factory tech, did he address the safety recall on them.

Sorry, I can't help you with the intermitant hot water problem.
    If it happens every time. Have one guy go up stairs and run the showe, and you stay at the heater, and check for what ever device is dropping ouot.
    What saftey recall?
    "Correct Installation is the Key"

.1 has killed more HX then Rush Limbaugh

What is your TESP?

Those are wall furnaces, not water heaters?

What is your TESP?

Yes I thought it was just the wall furnaces also

Sorry, just caught the name.
    Never read the article.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

I thought it might be the shower mixing valve but we tried turning the temp down and that affected nothing. I even changed out the Rinnai. It worked OK for a couple of days then same thing. The plumber says its not in the pipeing so everyone points at the Rinnai. Something in the house is causing the fluctuations, not gas or water pressure, we checked that. Not the flue, we replaced that. I'm HVAC not plumbing, how do you check a house?

Washing machines have internal mixing valves that have been known to cause problems with Rinnai's. Try shutting the water to the washing machine off and see if that fixes the problem.

We've had similar problems and found that to be the issue

Where's it mounted? Inside the house or outside somewhere? Whats the intake venting look like?

Is this just a problem with the shower or with any h/w usage?

Ok, I had a same problem reported yesterday.

Complaint, durring shower loss of hot water a slight pressure problem. Also noticed that they are not saving as much as expected.

Here is what I found was the problem:

Sorry, I just remembered what forum this is, and cant post technical information.

What is your TESP?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast