Sad state of health insurance

http://start.localnet.com/article.ph...D8V6KH7G2.html

This is sad. Is this the direction everyone will be headed in if either Hillary or Barack is elected?
    We all know something needs to be done about the health care costs in this country but, with failed programs like this it looks like "Universal Insurance" is being proven not to be the way to go. Health care costs themselves must come down, not just the insurance rates of obtaining care.
    This is just a sad situation.
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

How does that article prove that universal health care doesn't work? If anything, it makes a point that we need some kind of universal health care system in this country, just like nearly every other industrialized country has. I'll admit Hillary and Baracks plans are flawed, but at least they have a plan. People who have good coverage complains that they don't want to pay for anyone else's coverage. Well...you're already paying for their health care. Part of the reason health care costs are so high in America is the high number of uninsured. People that don't have insurance can't pay their bills, so hospitals and doctors raise rates for everyone else to make up for it. I have no problem paying more in taxes if it means everyone can go to the doctor and not have to worry about paying for it. Our government has no problem spending 500 billion dollars to fight the war in Iraq, but they can't spend money on a health care system that guarantees everyone has coverage? Something is wrong with that picture.

Quote Originally Posted by air311 View Post
    How does that article prove that universal health care doesn't work? If anything, it makes a point that we need some kind of universal health care system in this country, just like nearly every other industrialized country has. I'll admit Hillary and Baracks plans are flawed, but at least they have a plan. People who have good coverage complains that they don't want to pay for anyone else's coverage. Well...you're already paying for their health care. Part of the reason health care costs are so high in America is the high number of uninsured. People that don't have insurance can't pay their bills, so hospitals and doctors raise rates for everyone else to make up for it. I have no problem paying more in taxes if it means everyone can go to the doctor and not have to worry about paying for it. Our government has no problem spending 500 billion dollars to fight the war in Iraq, but they can't spend money on a health care system that guarantees everyone has coverage? Something is wrong with that picture.
    How many programs has our federal government administered without major fraud and inefficiencies?

...and why have I met many Canadians who have to come down here and pay for medical treatment that they was supposed to be getting in Canada for free?
    Like one foreigner told me one time, "yes we have nationalized health care in my country but if you ever get really sick you're going to die".

Quote Originally Posted by k_fridge View Post
    How many programs has our federal government administered without major fraud and inefficiencies?
    Somewhere between zero and none. I'm scared of a government run health care system, but they should at least be able to come up with a plan that works for everyone. The company that I just started working for has 11 employees. Single coverage health care is $4600 a year, with a $500 deductible, and the employee pays 20% of the premium. Plus co-pays for office visits, prescriptions, etc. Family coverage ranges from $7,800 to $11,000 a year. Thats a big expense for a small business owner to swallow. Something has to be done..but sadly nothing will be.

Somewhere between zero and none. I'm scared of a government run health care system, but they should at least be able to come up with a plan that works for everyone. The company that I just started working for has 11 employees. Single coverage health care is $4600 a year, with a $500 deductible, and the employee pays 20% of the premium. Plus co-pays for office visits, prescriptions, etc. Family coverage ranges from $7,800 to $11,000 a year. Thats a big expense for a small business owner to swallow. Something has to be done..but sadly nothing will be.
    That's the whole problem though. I admit that a single payer system is tempting on paper, but we all know what will happen. Between the idiots the government hires to run it and the politicians using the system to buy votes, it will be yet another government ran disaster.

But I agree that something has to done, I just don't know what the answers are.

Quote Originally Posted by k_fridge View Post
    That's the whole problem though. I admit that a single payer system is tempting on paper, but we all know what will happen. Between the idiots the government hires to run it and the politicians using the system to buy votes, it will be yet another government ran disaster.

But I agree that something has to done, I just don't know what the answers are.
    I don't think anybody does. Making sure everyone has coverage could help control cost somewhat, as doctors and hospitals would be assured payment for their services, but would they lower the rates they charge, and would insurance companies lower their rates? The system is in such bad shape, it sadly might beyond fixing.

The company that I just started working for has 11 employees. Single coverage health care is $4600 a year, with a $500 deductible, and the employee pays 20% of the premium. Plus co-pays for office visits, prescriptions, etc. Family coverage ranges from $7,800 to $11,000 a year. Thats a big expense for a small business owner to swallow.
    our company has 82 employees . My plan was 750 a month , and the boss would pay 250 .

Needless to say I havent had insur for a few years .

Broke 2 ribs a few months ago ... I thought to myself .... aww crap now im in trouble .... Nope . I went to the doc , told them im paying cash ... 250 dollars later im out the door with xrays done and free samples of pain meds .

So .... what this telle me .... instead of having paid 6,000 a year for the last 3 years .... I saved myself 18,000 dollars , and paid 250 bucks for a visit that would have costed me that 18,000 ... and the insur company would be sittin back fat right about now huh .

Quote Originally Posted by Snapperhead View Post
    our company has 82 employees . My plan was 750 a month , and the boss would pay 250 .

Needless to say I havent had insur for a few years .

Broke 2 ribs a few months ago ... I thought to myself .... aww crap now im in trouble .... Nope . I went to the doc , told them im paying cash ... 250 dollars later im out the door with xrays done and free samples of pain meds .

So .... what this telle me .... instead of having paid 6,000 a year for the last 3 years .... I saved myself 18,000 dollars , and paid 250 bucks for a visit that would have costed me that 18,000 ... and the insur company would be sittin back fat right about now huh .
    You were lucky. Most people aint gonna get x-rays and free meds for $250.00 bucks. When I fractured my knee 8 years ago, the total bill was $12000 dollars. Can only imagine what it would be today.

Our local medical clinic will charge you 1/2 their normal fee if you do not have insurance and can pay by check, cash or charge at time of services.
    They will also give you as many 'sample' meds as they have on hand at any given time. This comes in handy for the semi yearly allergy visits. They wouldn't have all those free meds if the pharmaceutical companies weren't making a killing though!
    Routine sinusitis visit with accompanying shot, normal charge $117.00, no ins. and can fork over a check= $58.50
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Where's my Universal Auto Insurance.??...

I think that's on the page after Universal Health Insurance in the Constitution.
    Tough times don't last...Tough people do.

Midnight Sun Astrophotography

Quote Originally Posted by tunnel_rat View Post
    Where's my Universal Auto Insurance.??...

I think that's on the page after Universal Health Insurance in the Constitution.
    You make a good point. I think health insurance should be handled more like auto insurance, make each individual responsible for his/her insurance and the consequences of abusing it or letting their health go. Granted there would have to be a safety net of some kind, but we need to put the responsibility back on the individual.

I have a dumb saying I made up...

"When we remove responsibility from the people, we make them irresponsible."

Ya'll have my permission to quote me on that.

It's alot like gas prices, and schools for two examples. The Federal Gov't has no business trying to micromanage everything like they do. They are inefficient and inept at best. Fix the roads, make more bullets, secure our boarders, if you have time left, check the bridges. If you get the Gov't out of it, it would run 1000 times smoother, services would be better, the prices wouldn't be so astronomical that only Bill Gates could afford to get his tonsils out. Let hospitals and schools compete as any other business. The good ones will show their stuff, and the bad ones won't last. I know that takes alot of power out of Washington, and we can't have that can we? What happened to "Gov't out of my womb"!? But they sure want them everywhere else don't they......

Can you say Mommy for President in '08 !!!
    Tough times don't last...Tough people do.

Midnight Sun Astrophotography