+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pipe Threader

Post Likes

Pipe Threader

I am looking for a manual pipe threader and wanted to see what some of you would recommend. I was told to stay away from the off brands, due to the problem of getting replacement dies. Thanks for any suggestions!

Post Likes
    From what I have seen, most have adopted Ridgid standards for die sizing.

Can't go wrong with Ridgid or Rothenberger.

The premium HSS (high speed steel) dies will last longer. Ridgid etches HSS on the ends.

The larger Ridgid manual dies also fit the 700 electric pipe threader- something to consider for future upgrades. The smaller die set (OOR ratchet handle) is lighter but only does up to 1", and won't fit the 700.

The 3 in 1 non ratcheting die set won't fit in tight places....

I would stay away from the Harbor Freight specials if you plan on using the tool while expecting a reasonable service life.

Post Likes

pipe threader

I bought the hand held electric one & a full set of dies about 20 yrs ago and never had one problem outta it . Ridgid , I think it came with the hand ratchet too , About $ 1500 when I bought it new ! Than I picked up a used tri - pod with a clamp . It does 2 inch for oil tanks too .
    My avatar is a picture of a Goodman Silencer .....These were commonly used in Goodman country ....Photos by hvac tech ( PaysonHVAC )

Post Likes
    Ridgid is the King in my experience.

It would take some hard selling to convince me to buy anything else.

Post Likes
    I'll second that busta. We got the manual wrenches as well as the machine tripod. The sucker is a mother if you let it get away from you. Walks through pipe like it wasn't even there. Can't kill the beast if you try. Only thing we've ever replaced is the reversable switch. Bought it used, must be 40-years old. Built tough. That machine has wrapped more than one apprentice around it. LOL.
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!

Post Likes
    How much threading do you do? I bought a cheap handheld automatic threader at Harbor Freight a few years ago. We paid about $125 for it. I thought then that if it lasted a month I'd be suprised. We advertised gas lines to fireplaces for 2 winters & made a living with that thing. I got hooked in with a fireplace shop & I bet we put in a hundred sets over the course of 2 to 3 years. Now we were doing very little 1" pipe with it. Mainly 3/4 & 1/2 inch. I dont think this would be what you'd want to pipe a whole house or anything.

Life is like a jar of jalapenos. What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

Post Likes
    Ibought the Ridgid oiless vise a few years ago, love it. I can bring it right into the basement if need be. Only does up to 1 inch though.

Post Likes
    I've been using company owned Rigid threaders for 12 years and have always had good luck. Tried the harbor freight cheapo the ratchet head casting snapped in two days. I'm hard on tools but give me a break! Go with the rigid 12r setup. They're not cheap but u get what u pay for. check ebay

Post Likes
    I bought a few things from harbor freight this year , and they where the pitts..... man I wouldn't buy sh#$t from them,
    i did buy a rigid threading set, and I am totally happy with it

Post Likes
    I am going to go ahead and get the Ridgid. I would rather buy something good, then be in the middle of a job and it screw up. Thanks for the info

Post Likes
    You will do fine with Rothenberger, too.

Post Likes
    You cannot go wrong with Ridgid threading equipment. IMO used Ridgid piping tools are as good as new and 1/4 the price in most cases. There is a TON of barely used/new stuff floating around, just be patient and the right thing will fall into place if you keep your eyes open.

Post Likes
    I didn't know there was any brand of threaders other than Ridgid. It's all I will use
    I have never been lost, but I will admit to being confused for several weeks.-Daniel Boone-

Just because a person wanders does not mean he is lost.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in