Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Goodman failing

Goodman failing

Hi - my neighbor has a Goodman Forced Hot Air furnace. It's about 5-7 years old. We're in New England (it's cold here). Over the weekend his furnace started short-cycling and then not-turning on. Increasing air flow (opening supplies, opening furnace cover to improve return) seemed to fix it. Tonight we got it to fail and the flashing LED indicated a high limit failure. The guy who put it in (who's helping him by phone from Cape Cod) says he has a blockage in his ducts. But nothing has changed in his house, and I'm wondering if it couldn't be the limit switch itself. Also, in testing the furnace we noticed that it seemed to struggle to ignite a few times. and when it finally shut off after indicating the limit switch failure and then cooling down, it indicated an igniter failure. I'm suggesting he get someone local to come look at it, but I was wondering if any of you Goodman pros had any advice as well.
    Thanks
    /j

note - igniter was replaced a couple of years ago - installer first tried generic one and when that didn't work got (so he says) genuine goodman part.

All that i can say to help is call in a pro.

you have covered the basics and now it is time to find the problem

filter or coils plugged, as far as the light off issues, could be a number of things, any competent tech can help him out, doesn't need to be a Goodman dealer.
    You can't fix stupid

"I'm suggesting he get someone local to come look at it"

this sounds like a good idea

Yeah....call a pro....can't give you anymore advise than that. There are rules here about giving out DIY advise. Has your friend has this furnace serviced every year?? It needs to be serviced BY A PRO once a year to help avoid problems like this and to allow that unit to live a nice full life.

You definately need to get a pro out there....the limit switch is a safety devise....they very rarely just go bad...let us know what the pro finds!
    I need a new signature.....

Sorry guys - wasn't looking for fixit advice - he's definitely getting someone in to look at it. My questions were more pointed toward keeping the guy who comes honest. wondering, what sorts of things would you expect it to be, and whether Goodmans had any common failure modes along these lines. I'm especially worried that he's getting two different failure codes, wondering if it's the circuit board.

Now - i didn't mention that he has an older duct system, and without getting into gory details the furnace is probably a little oversized and the static is probably close to .8 to 1.0, so I also wonder if it could it be premature wear of the fan, but I'm just guessing (it's a single-speed unit).

We in NO way plan to try to fix it ourselves. But we're picking someone out of the yellow pages (local Goodman service place doesn't return calls), so we kind of want to know enough to know if we're getting good advice.

/j

Possibilities you may hear are , cracked Heat eXchanger (not out of the question), plugged a/c coil(leading to cracked HX) dirty components, if it is the HX have the tech show you what he sees, or how he came to this conclusion. Like I said don't be concerned with it being a Goodman dealer, any dealer can get Goodman parts and service it well, get one that answers the phone and get em out there.

Just noticed you have guesstimated statics, where did you get that info? that is way too high by the way, increasing the HX failure possibility. REALLY need to do some major changing if those readings are actual.
    You can't fix stupid

It would be nice if we had some clue as to what furnace we are discussing here. The very first and least bit of information that "MUST" preceede any question is the model and serial numbers of the equipment in question.

The type of gas, LP or natural, is also a major plus in diagnosing a furnace.\

Saying that any data (in this case the gas pressure) is "normal" or "right" or "ok" is virtually useless information.

The quality of answers always follows the quality of questions asked.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Does the furnace have a A/C coil on it.

Or does it have the same type duct system that you have.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Suprise suprise, another goodmen thread...one would think that the company should atleast change their name.

Call a sevice guy and have him come out to the house....air flow issue.
    "Politicians are the lowest form of life on Earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician"

- General George S. Patton

another goodman thread below 3 trane threads

I always start at the filter

Natural Gas - sorry. Filter has long since been taken out of the equation.
    And yes BT - same sort of duct system as mine, except he also has an unconnected AC coil on top of his furnace. (some people in the neighborhood actually run ac through the duct system, god knows how).

For those who don't know what I'm talking about, all the houses in my neighborhood were built around 1960 with heat duct work that nominally supports only like 700cfm with low static. After a lot of pain, and some adjustment I mated my ductwork to an 80KBTU variable-speed Bryant furnace. It runs at low most of the time with acceptable static, but whe it runs at high (maybe 5% of the time) the static gets up near 1.0. My neighbor has a single speed which I believe is also around 80KBTU (I have some way to compare because for a short time I had a 120KBTU single speed in my house, and it blew the system away, which his isn't doing - seems about the airflow of mine on high).

thanks guys - all additional thoughts welcome
    /j

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast