Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Rhemm or Payne for 1,350 sq ft rambler?

I recently had one guy showed up for duct cleaning. He was really smooth talking and said the heat exchanger was warped and so on. He left without cleaning duct and next day faxes me invoice for a brand new furnace and offer to clean the duct at cost if I replace the Rheem 75,000BTU 80% efficiency furnace (it's a rental property). I'm not sure if I can post the cost..

So, I find another online and he came out today. He sounded much better.

He will also replace the old Goodman 75K BTU 80% with new Rheem and throw in the furnace with lower price (I haven't gotten the written estimate yet).

My question is..

1. is Rhemm pretty good brand?
    2. what would be an average total cost for the installation for everything including parts, labor, permit and etc? He said he will put in box at the bottom for ease of future duct cleaning as the current furnace sits in a closet right on the floor.
    3. any other questions I should bring up?
    4. there was no load test done and he is just replacing per current furnace size. is it too big or small for a 1,350sq ft rambler with newly replace energy efficient windows?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Warped heat exchangers are common. Cracked heat exchangers must be replaced. Is it a gas or oil furnace? Are you the owner or tenant?

Rheem is a good brand. He's building a box under the new heater probably because it's shorter than the present one.

Years ago I had a Rambler. The front seats went all the way back. It had a lot of room, but it wasn't 1,350sq ft.

1. My favorite
    2. No way we can answer that without seeing the job, knowing local costs, knowing the dealer's overhead...
    3. What does warped mean?
    4. Heat loss calc needs to be run. Assuming the old one was right size and doing same is WRONG!!! Probably is too big if the house is tight unless a bitter cold area.

Quote Originally Posted by bobb25 View Post

Years ago I had a Rambler. The front seats went all the way back. It had a lot of room, but it wasn't 1,350sq ft.

When I first saw this thread what you posted came to mind. What size for a Rambler? Well most had a six, I prefer the V8.

Oh yea, sorry for the facetious post, it was completely unavoidable, see Baldloonies post, he is correct.

Twilli says they even had a hot rod rambler called the rambler scrambler.....

Coleman heat exchangers never warp.
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

It's gas.

Quote Originally Posted by HeyBob View Post
    When I first saw this thread what you posted came to mind. What size for a Rambler? Well most had a six, I prefer the V8.
    6 cyl. station wagon. I didn't need a V8, mostly only drove it to dark places and put the gear shift lever in park.

Quote Originally Posted by twilli3967 View Post
    Coleman heat exchangers never warp.
    Right, they crack way before they get a chance to warp.

Quote Originally Posted by furniceowner View Post
    It's gas.
    Did any tenant ever complain of smelling odors? Did anyone get headaches, or feel light-headed, or dizzy?

If you replace the heater, go with 90+% efficiency, not 80+%.

Quote Originally Posted by bobb25 View Post
    Did any tenant ever complain of smelling odors? Did anyone get headaches, or feel light-headed, or dizzy?

If you replace the heater, go with 90+% efficiency, not 80+%.
    Absolutely no gas odor.

I am not sure if I should invest in 90% furnace. It's a rental home and have limited budget.

Reading other post, 80% 75K BTU = so it's 60K BTU actually generated, some say it's too big for a 1,350 sqare foot house. Am I assuming right?

Thanks for the all the help.

Quote Originally Posted by furniceowner View Post
    Absolutely no gas odor.

I am not sure if I should invest in 90% furnace. It's a rental home and have limited budget.

Reading other post, 80% 75K BTU = so it's 60K BTU actually generated, some say it's too big for a 1,350 sqare foot house. Am I assuming right?

Thanks for the all the help.
    How old is your Goodman? Some of the older ones don't come close to 80%. Better check the heat going out your chimney. A new 80+% heater's flue gases might not be hot enough, and the chimney could fall apart. Tenants don't have heaters checked, and landlords don't have heaters checked. Might get a call from the cops one day.

go with the Rheem and have the guy run a load calc on the home to be sure on sizing.
    You can't fix stupid

As fuel prices go up, you tenents will have a harder tie paying both rent and their heating bill.
    So if you go with a 90%er, you help to ensure you keep receiving your rent.

Warped HX=new furnace???
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast