Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by lougatzo View Post

The $ is in the coolant capture correct?

Should be a minimal amount. Its a Trane and should be able to pump down 95% of the refrigerant.

Quote Originally Posted by buttwheat View Post
    Should be a minimal amount. Its a Trane and should be able to pump down 95% of the refrigerant.

more like 100%

filter grill

Return air filter grill seems like the best idea to me. Being sure to remove the filter from the existing filter box.

Why go with a filter grille when there is a place for a good quality filter at the equipment?

You know the odds are that someone will put one of those really "efficient" high MERV filters in the filter grille... and then cause some more problems.

That work never should have been called "done" in the first place. I would hope that a reputable company would fix it, and make the filter serviceable.

It would be good PR to correct the mistake (and do a good job in the process)... compared to the PR generated by not fixing it.
    Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey. It's unwise to pay too little.
    When you pay too much, you lose a little money -- that is all. When you pay too little, you may lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do.

The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot -- it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run. And if you do that, you will have enough to pay for something better."

John Ruskin

Filters In Attic Spaces Seem To Get Changed Less Often.filter With Grill Can Be Seen And Replaced When Dirty.

Hard to tell but also looks like a gap between the evap. housing and the filter box. Over time, might be able to slip the filter in from the top.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e76/lougatzo/AC2.jpg

Is it normal to put the evap. coil between the filter and air handler?

Update

OK, I spoke with the HVAC owner. He is claiming that he doesn't remember or have records of the install. Rest assured I did not pick his name out of a hat. He claims the following: that he did service the unit once a few years back; perhaps he did in fact do the install, but that someone else may have retrofitted the filter and the owner didn't want to pay to move the piping (this is possible); that even if he did do all of it, it was done years ago and that I am not his customer so why should he fix it.

He has fully acknowledged that the set up of the filter assembly is wrong and agrees that I have a valid point. He offered to fix the problem "at cost". I know I am not supposed to use pricing so I will say he said the retail cost to make it right is X, but he would do it for half of X. Why would he do that?

I am in the process of getting some additional info from the previous homeowner as to exactly when it was done and if anyone else retrofitted the filter. I have never referred to his name or company name to anyone in case I am wrong.

Needless to say, I will end up having a real pro do the work and look over the entrie system.

While they are at it, have them install a condensate safety switch in the secondary drain outlet so the inside of the air handler doesn't get flooded if the main drain becomes clogged.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

If he did do the install, it's possible he doesn't remember or have records of it. Some guys just have no organizational skills at all. He also may have only serviced the system and put his sticker on the unit.

If his price comes in around the lowest price you have, let him do it. The reason he'll fix it for "half price", is because you might become his customer, and also (good or bad), you'll spread his name around town.

Is it normal to put the evap. coil between the filter and air handler?[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by jvillehvac View Post
    Is it normal to put the evap. coil between the filter and air handler?
    The coil is part of the air handler.

If you look at the picture, there is a door to the left of the AC lines (you can see the thumbscrews). This is where a standard supplied filter would go.

The box on the left of the filter in the picture is the "return plenum"... and that description is used loosely.

It is common for air handlers to pull the air through the coil.

Other than the location of the AC lines and filter access, there is nothing wrong with the location of the filter box.

Smile

why didn't you look at the hvac system upon buying the home? you bought it you have to live with it or fix it ,the contractor was a hack it is not his resposibility to fix it now, why would you want him to hack on it again any way, go with the filter grill and move on from hand outs.

Quote Originally Posted by Dog View Post
    why didn't you look at the hvac system upon buying the home? you bought it you have to live with it or fix it ,the contractor was a hack it is not his resposibility to fix it now, why would you want him to hack on it again any way, go with the filter grill and move on from hand outs.
    Pffffft....

Everyone knows that paint colors, window treatments, clean neutral carpeting, granite counters, stainless appliances..... and more....

Are *all* more important than the HVAC system.....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast