Install Error?? Photos inside - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Quote Originally Posted by neophytes serendipity View Post
    The coil is part of the air handler.

If you look at the picture, there is a door to the left of the AC lines (you can see the thumbscrews). This is where a standard supplied filter would go.

The box on the left of the filter in the picture is the "return plenum"... and that description is used loosely.

It is common for air handlers to pull the air through the coil.

Other than the location of the AC lines and filter access, there is nothing wrong with the location of the filter box.
    I think neophytes was quoting me from an earlier post. I didn't know that you could pull air throught the coil. Sorry. I still stand behind the fact that the filter box is loose (opening up) at the top and that would be a bigger concern to me than just removing the existing filter and using a return filter. Sorry for the confusion.

panama city beach (aka lower alabama or LA) FL
    i would send the pictures to the original contractor and ask them how they changed the filter during the maintenance checks just be as nice as possible and thank them in advance and say ....you hope to be a future customer and would like to thank them on their prompt attention to the obvious oversight that was made when the system was origanly installed. this may not work but if it does than all you spent was an envelope and a stamp.

Looks like a bad install to me. Of course when I see flex duct I tend to knock down the quality at least 50%. And the duct in front of the furnace. Against code. I would have the contractor come back and fix it. As I have learned over the years, you are only as good as the people who work for you. I would make my guys fix something like that and explain to them why. I have done both the service and the install so I never install something that I can't service later. But I am not always there.

Maybe the installer realized his mistake and cut the access in the roof harrr

Quote Originally Posted by Daltex View Post
    I think neophytes was quoting me from an earlier post. I didn't know that you could pull air throught the coil. Sorry. I still stand behind the fact that the filter box is loose (opening up) at the top and that would be a bigger concern to me than just removing the existing filter and using a return filter. Sorry for the confusion.
    yea your right, looks like the weight is seperating it from the cabinet, if they have thick foam tape on it it might be sealed yet, but from my guess, someone leaned on the return box and pulled the screws loose.

Another gues is nobody has hadto take both doors off yet with no support in the middle and it hasn't sagged there yet.
    You can't fix stupid

Quote Originally Posted by lougatzo View Post
    OK, I spoke with the HVAC owner. He is claiming that he doesn't remember or have records of the install. Rest assured I did not pick his name out of a hat. He claims the following: that he did service the unit once a few years back; perhaps he did in fact do the install, but that someone else may have retrofitted the filter and the owner didn't want to pay to move the piping (this is possible); that even if he did do all of it, it was done years ago and that I am not his customer so why should he fix it.

He has fully acknowledged that the set up of the filter assembly is wrong and agrees that I have a valid point. He offered to fix the problem "at cost". I know I am not supposed to use pricing so I will say he said the retail cost to make it right is X, but he would do it for half of X. Why would he do that?

I am in the process of getting some additional info from the previous homeowner as to exactly when it was done and if anyone else retrofitted the filter. I have never referred to his name or company name to anyone in case I am wrong.

Needless to say, I will end up having a real pro do the work and look over the entrie system.
    If someone did add a filter to your furnace later ask the company owner how the filters were supposed to be changed before. It doesn't look like a whole lot of room in between the ac line and the standard filter door.

Quote Originally Posted by bobb25 View Post
    Pretty stupid installation. Looks like the low bidder got the job. That "white box" looks like a housing for either an electronic air cleaner or media air filter. Do you see any wires going directly into it? Were you able to change the filter? How do you know the original installer is ignoring you? Did you talk to anyone there, or just leave a message? Your chances of getting them to change it for free are slim to none. Did those two other companies give you an estimate?
    Its not typical for the low bidder to be putting in a Trane.

lw bidder will most deff not be a trane.
    looks like the inspector would have raised a flag on this guess they aren't as picky there as the are here
    If Guns Kill People, Do Pencils Misspell Words?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An2a1...eature=related

Before we work on artificial intelligence why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

Quote Originally Posted by m-cooling View Post
    Its not typical for the low bidder to be putting in a Trane.
    Quote Originally Posted by beachtech View Post
    lw bidder will most deff not be a trane.
    Isn't it possible that the owner was only getting Trane quotes?

Update & Follow-up question

First of all, thank you to all who offered help and suggestions. I have decided to hire a factory authorized Trane company to not only do the repair, but install a Trane Clean Effects system in replacement. The original company is ignoring me and I don't want them back anyway.

Question: They are offering a duct cleaning as well for additional money. A third company told me that duct cleaning service is a scam. He said the dust in the duct sits at the bottom and is too heavy to be circulated anyway, so save my money. Your thoughts on a duct cleaning?

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    I wouldn't have the ducts cleaned ,unless it was proven that there was something growing in there,and even then sanitizing might be the way to go.

I don't believe they can clean them to a like new condition,and they usually sell sanitizing after the cleaning.

I see that duct cleaning is getting more popular,and could likely make some money if we started duct clening,just can't see the need in residential systems.

As long as you dont end up with the service end stuck back in the same position and you agree to stay on top of cleaning the filter, you should be happy with it.

Dust is not too heavy, that's how it got there by floating around. Your dust particles, duct surface and velocity have everything to do with whether it will settle or not. That said, I am with Dash. Unless you are moving your filter to a filter grill which would mean you are now going to have an opportunity to pull dirt from your ducts, I'm not much of a duct cleaning fan either from a realistic perspective but every situation is different and I wouldnt want to paint anything like that with a broad brush stroke.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234