Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Install Error?? Photos inside

Hello,

I bought this house about 2 years ago. I tried to change the filter, when I noticed the filter access is BEHIND the unit. I think the installer got lazy and instead of re-routing the pipes up and over or down and across the floor, they did it this way. That white box is the filter section. As you can see the pipes are in the way. I have to crawl behind the unit to access the filter. I found the original installer from the previous owner and they are ignoring me. I showed these photos to 2 other HVAC companies for an estimate, and they both agreed that someone screwed up here. Your thoughts please!

Placement of the unit in the eave corner.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e76/lougatzo/AC3.jpg

Filter Section with pipes blocking. The access to the filter is on the other side.

Pretty stupid to me! But not unusual

You never have a pipe stretcher when you need one.

Consider Having A Return Air Filter Grill Installed. That Way No Need To Go Into Attic For Filter Changes

So, has the filter ever been changed? Didn't previous owner change it?
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Original poster here. The same company that installed it also did the "yearly" maintenance, so I have no idea if the changed it or just told the owners they did. Also, I doubt the service tech would ever come downstairs and admit their mistake to the owners. Any suggestions on how to deal with the company? I shouldn't have to pay for their carelessness.

Pretty stupid installation. Looks like the low bidder got the job. That "white box" looks like a housing for either an electronic air cleaner or media air filter. Do you see any wires going directly into it? Were you able to change the filter? How do you know the original installer is ignoring you? Did you talk to anyone there, or just leave a message? Your chances of getting them to change it for free are slim to none. Did those two other companies give you an estimate?

Quote Originally Posted by lougatzo View Post
    Any suggestions on how to deal with the company? I shouldn't have to pay for their carelessness.

good luck with that...........

carelessness would be slipping off the joist and putting your foot through the ceiling, that was just plain stupidity..

been in the house for 2 yrs and just finding that now?

suck it up and pay someone to do it right.

Since you didn't contract for the original install I don't really think you have any beef with the installing contractor. Had you contracted for the install and found something like this upon your inspection it might would be a different situation.
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Not to say that we don't feel your pain though!

Pretty stupid indeed. If you go the filter grille way make sure you pull the original filter out. Looks like your filter now is a Aprilaire spaceguard filter to me but not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    Pretty stupid to me! But not unusual
    That is the sad truth.

The ONLY outside possibility, is if the original owner contracted with a large store (I seem to remember one of them sold Trane). They always sub-contract the installations, and guarantee that it's installed properly. Call the original owner and find out who his contract was with.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast