Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Goodman vs. Coleman

I have bids from two separate companies in my area for a new 95% efficient two stage gas furnace. Here are the model numbers:

Goodman - GMV950704CX
    Coleman - FC9V060B12UP11

I have read that the Goodman furnaces have improved in the past couple years but I haven't been able to find a lot of information on the Coleman furnaces.

Can anyone recommend one over the other?

Also, the company that recommends the Goodman furnace says it is a little more work, but they can vent the furnace through the chimney, but the company recommending the Coleman says they need to vent through the side of the house.

Does anyone know which is correct?

Hopefully, the guy venting through the chimney is running the PVC pipes down the chimney.
    Not just venting into the chimney. That won't work.
    The company selling Coleman, may not want the hassle of running PVC pipes down the chimney..
    But it can be done. Providing the distance isn't too great.
    Both brands have limitations on vent lengths.

Do you have a gas, or electric water heater.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

If those are your only two options, you might want to get a 3rd and 4th company to come out.

I have a gas water heater.

The company that is selling the Goodman also sells Carrier, but they are recommending the Goodman because of the cost difference.

So the company that said they can vent the 90% though the chimney.
    Are they installing a liner for the water heater, and running PVC in it also?

Something souinds fishy.
    Contractor locator map

Quote Originally Posted by bobb25 View Post
    If those are your only two options, you might want to get a 3rd and 4th company to come out.
    Wassa matter bobby? Goodman and Coleman kicking your butt there in Eastern PA?

When you're ready to come over to the dark side, gimme a call
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Quote Originally Posted by pdx View Post
    I have a gas water heater.

The company that is selling the Goodman also sells Carrier, but they are recommending the Goodman because of the cost difference.
    Cannot legally put the pvc vent piping in the same chimney with a metallic vent pipe.

The company that recommended Goodman must be planning on putting another liner inside the chimney for your water heater. Unless you have a super large chimney, it isn't a "little more work", it's practically impossible.

That furnace will probably need 3" PVC with an outside diameter of 4". The water heater will probably need a metal liner with an outside diameter of about 5". If you have an 8" chimney now, they're about 7-1/2" x 7-1/2". If you go with Goodman, take some videos, because I'd love to see how they do it.

Sound to me like a salesman is trying to sell the job, and it's everyone else's problem to install the system. Either that, or he completely forgot about your water heater. Either way, I wouldn't go with that company, even for their Carrier.

Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    Wassa matter bobby? Goodman and Coleman kicking your butt there in Eastern PA?

When you're ready to come over to the dark side, gimme a call
    No, I love them. Around me they're installed by moonlighters who go out of business or "can't come out til Saturday for your no heat call". People call me and I politely tell them what kind of quality they have. Then I keep fixing them and after a few years sell them a new system.

Why do you ask? Are you the guy trying to sell him this Goodman?

The company that recommended Goodman must be planning on putting another liner inside the chimney for your water heater. Unless you have a super large chimney, it isn't a "little more work", it's practically impossible.

That furnace will probably need 3" PVC with an outside diameter of 4'. The water heater will probably need a metal liner with an outside diameter of about 5". If you have an 8" chimney now, they're about 7-1/2" x 7-1/2". If you go with Goodman, take some videos, because I'd love to see how they do it.

Sound to me like a salesman is trying to sell the job, and it's everyone else's problem to install the system.
    That particular Goodman furnace vents with 2" pvc, but it is still not allowed to be in the chimney space with another vent.

Aside from the venting, the GMV furnace is a great little furnace. Variable speed blower capable of fantastic dehumidification during cooling and thermostatically controlled two stage furnace make it great on features. The lifetime heat exchanger warranty with 10 year unit replacement ain't bad either. I am not familiar with the Coleman, so cannot state which is best.

No, I love them. Around me they're installed by moonlighters who go out of business or "can't come out til Saturday for your no heat call". People call me and I politely tell them what kind of quality they have. Then I keep fixing them and after a few years sell them a new system.
    That's the spirit. When I was a contractor I always said that if I can't sell a system I'll be more then happy repairing what others didn't install very well.

I personally keep from selling to non-HVAC professionals but there are a lot of independant distributors in your area who don't feel the same as I do.

The Coleman vents with 2" also.
    Its also a VS blower. But the warranty isn't as good.
    Contractor locator map

I guess I should have been more clear about the gas water heater. I currently have an old oil furnace that is at least 30 years old that vents through the chimney. My gas water heater is only a few years old and it is in another part of the basement and it vents out the back of the house.

The only thing in the current chimney is the vent for the oil furnace.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast