Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: chimney liner

chimney liner

I will be replacing a very old gas furnace with a 90% furnace venting out the sidewall. I will be capping off the 5" hole at the masonary chimney.should there be any concerns with the hot water heater continue useing the exsisting chimney? should I automaticly need a chimney liner for the hot water heater or be ok. I allways assumed it would be fine.

if chimney goes up outside wall it will need a liner to pass inspection.

You need a liner kit, especially if the chimney is exposed on three sides or in other words, an exterior chimney.
    "Politicians are the lowest form of life on Earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician"

- General George S. Patton

Thats code up here, you'll need a liner.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by seanc View Post
    Thats code up here, you'll need a liner.
    yup it sound like general venting rule to me so it need to be according to venting table in the code and not every one can READ THOSE CHART so make sure you consult on this one
    sorry i will look it up for you Monday i don't ave mi code with me ? What is your lateral length and chimney height and also BTU/H flue outlet size also

how olds the water heater? If it's close to old enough for replacement, save some ching and get a powervent water heater installed now too. sorry missed you were pro, sell em a w.h. too
    You can't fix stupid

There won't be enough heat to keep the chimney dry, and there won't be enough draw to get the flue gases out, especially in the summer. The chimney will start to fall apart. I've seen tile lined chimneys fall down inside and block the chimney base. You definitely need a liner, or do what cmaj said, install a high efficiency water heater. Not worth someone's life.

Liner a MUST in PA/DE some guys do not pull permits and I can see the vent out the side of the home ,but NO liner out the stack. SAD!!!
    It's NOT the BRAND,it's the company that installs it!!!!!

Without a chimney liner the water heater will rust out prematurely, sometimes within one winter.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

I Have Similar Situation But My Chimney Already Has A 6" Liner Stainless Steel Would I Need To Go With Smaller Liner.house Is 1 1/2 Story Cape With Cap.

Quote Originally Posted by JOEDIESEL View Post
    I Have Similar Situation But My Chimney Already Has A 6" Liner Stainless Steel Would I Need To Go With Smaller Liner.house Is 1 1/2 Story Cape With Cap.
    You need to know what your net stack and draft is. The company installing your 90+ furnace should be able to tell you if everything is ok.

Quote Originally Posted by JOEDIESEL View Post
    Figuring on about a 35K Btu water heater into a 6" metallic chimney approximately 16' high, I'd say you should have a 4" liner dropped into it.

The problem is that with that much open space in the 6" chimney, during the winter months the chimney is going to remain cooler then the dewpoint of the water heater's flue gases. When this occurs, acidic condensate forms and drains down the piping into the water heater. The smaller sized liner allows the flue gases to stay warmer (above dew point) to allow the flue gases to exit the termination point of the chimney to the atmosphere.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

There are venting requirements for every fuel burning piece of equipment. Most every local in the country is under some form of code and most local codes refer to venting codes in one form or another. Sometimes they just do a blanket statement of "installation must conform to manufacturers recommendations".
    So...... short of saying yes you need a liner...... I'd be willing to bet you will.
    Use the biggest hammer you like, pounding a square peg into a round hole does not equal a proper fit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast