Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
Results 66 to 78 of 149
  1. #66
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Houston Texas
    Posts
    6,325
    I would be willing to bet there are contradictions and discrepancies in the encyclopedia Britannica or any other.

  2. #67
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,125
    Quote Originally Posted by classical View Post
    Air your lack of education again shows itself which diminishes your arguments.

    There is no word indescrepancy that would be redundant the same as irregardless. At least irregardless is a non standard form of regardless whereas that is not the same with indiscrepancy.

    You have said that Christians need God as a crutch much as a Heroin addict needs a fix. You could not be any less correct, a belief in God does help one to resist many temptation that they might otherwise succumb to. That does not make God a crutch it means God is a grounding or foundation on which one can depend and draw strength from.

    Belief in God is a matter of faith and you cannot simply prove out his existence through science or reading. There is plenty of historical basis to support the Bible and its teachings.

    Since you are new here I will give you some of my background. In the ninth grade I became an agnostic because I felt that science over rode what I had learned in church and the Bible. My family went to Church but we were not devout and it was not foist upon me. We had actually only attended church at Christmas and Easter for several years.

    To make a long story short I was a committed Agnostic from almost 40-years and shared many of the feelings that you and other have. I studied most religions and had many philosophical discussion over the years about my concerns mostly the apparent hypocrisy of those that appeared to be the face of Religion. People like Jimmy Swagart, Jim Baker Oral Roberts and others. What I came to realize is they are not God and they only represent themselves not God or his believers. There are many that believe in God and look for how being a God fearing person or church goers can benefit them financially or materialistically. This is not what God teaches in the Bible but how man prostitutes his word.

    I suggest that you read the Bible again as an adult and do so with an open heart instead of with the closed mind of a child having something forced upon them.

    My step-daughter through her actions and deeds showed me the way to God and I was fortunate that I listened and accepted Christ as my savior. I am a happier and more content person than I was before. She asked to read the Bible and gave me one she had carried for half her life. I spent the next year reading the Bible and asking questions of her. At the end of that year I chose to accept Christ and be baptized.

    As long as you have a closed mind and a hard heart you will never see the truth and you will live a life of anger and mistrust. You may not believe that you are angry or mistrustful but reading your post proves otherwise.
    I'm pretty happy and content now. And religion is a crutch for many. A lot of people use it as their guiding force through life, which is fine I guess. Some people need a reason, and religion is their reason. I am not angry, and don't lead a life of mistrust, another christian myth that stereotypes anyone who doesn't believe. Just because a person isn't christian doesn't mean they're angry. As far as having a closed mind, I disagree. I'll listen to any argument, or any cause someone is trying to push and think about all sides before I make a decision on whether I believe or not. And I apologize for indescrepancy, I am aware there is no such word, fingers were ahead of my mind there. I do occasionally make grammar mistakes. Didn't know that made someone uneducated.

  3. #68
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    12,189
    Quote Originally Posted by scrogdog View Post
    I nominate The Federalist Papers and the Encyclopedia Britannica.
    See boot's post.
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

  4. #69
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Woburn, MA
    Posts
    6,662
    Quote Originally Posted by classical View Post
    I would be willing to bet there are contradictions and discrepancies in the encyclopedia Britannica or any other.
    I suppose one might find a couple of one dug deep enough.

    This is true of ANY document.

    Let's see; Genesis Book 1 has animals coming before man;

    GEN 1:25 And God made the beast of the earth after his kind, and cattle after their kind, and every thing that creepeth upon the earth after his kind: and God saw that it was good.

    GEN 1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.
    In book two, man is alone and animals come after;

    GEN 2:18 And the LORD God said, It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him.

    GEN 2:19 And out of the ground the LORD God formed every beast of the field, and every fowl of the air; and brought them unto Adam to see what he would call them: and whatsoever Adam called every living creature, that was the name thereof.
    To me, contradictions aren't even close to why I don't believe. But, you guys made the claim so...
    "Social networking" is an oxymoron.

  5. #70
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,504
    I was dragged to church every Sunday, forced to sit is Sunday school and get religeon crammed down my throat. Saturday classes, Wednesday night church, Sunday church for 3.5 hours. My parents were finatics, they contributed many of their hard earned dollars to the PTL club and let Jim and Tammy Faye Backer steal from them. I gotta tell you, church was the last place I wanted to be due to the over exposure and punishment for not being perfect in Gods eyes.

    I lead a clean life, I'm honest to a fault, I tell the cashier she made a mistake on my change and kindly return it to her. I don't steal, I help people in need, I contribute to several charities. Why am I so bad in Christians eyes just because I don't believe in your God? If I go to hell for being honest and leading a clean life then I don't want to believe. What about all the different denominations? Catholics (I won't even get into the priest/child molestation thing) Lutherans, Methodist, Jewish, Mormons, Jehovah's witness,etc. Do you all pray to the exact same God? If yes why are the rules so different?

    My brother is a minister. I am looked down upon just because I don't believe what he says I should believe.

    I know "Christians" who suggest that I should believe in God that will sit and tell little lies all day long and then I guess all they have to do is pray to God for forgivness on Sunday and all is well. What is that about? How many times can you go to the well before God just says this guy is a joke? Why not refrain from lies and sin and then you don't even have to ask for forgivness?

    Last but not least, someone please tell me if everything was created in 7 days why is there no mention of dinosaurs in the bible. As I understand they did walk the earth for quite some time. I don't recall any storys about a t-rex crashing into the garden of Eden.

    I'll sit and wait for all the great responses. Sorry if I didn't spell everything right.

    Steve
    Buy American! The job you save may be your own.

  6. #71
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,125
    Quote Originally Posted by hvac_superman View Post
    I was dragged to church every Sunday, forced to sit is Sunday school and get religeon crammed down my throat. Saturday classes, Wednesday night church, Sunday church for 3.5 hours. My parents were finatics, they contributed many of their hard earned dollars to the PTL club and let Jim and Tammy Faye Backer steal from them. I gotta tell you, church was the last place I wanted to be due to the over exposure and punishment for not being perfect in Gods eyes.

    I lead a clean life, I'm honest to a fault, I tell the cashier she made a mistake on my change and kindly return it to her. I don't steal, I help people in need, I contribute to several charities. Why am I so bad in Christians eyes just because I don't believe in your God? If I go to hell for being honest and leading a clean life then I don't want to believe. What about all the different denominations? Catholics (I won't even get into the priest/child molestation thing) Lutherans, Methodist, Jewish, Mormons, Jehovah's witness,etc. Do you all pray to the exact same God? If yes why are the rules so different?

    My brother is a minister. I am looked down upon just because I don't believe what he says I should believe.

    I know "Christians" who suggest that I should believe in God that will sit and tell little lies all day long and then I guess all they have to do is pray to God for forgivness on Sunday and all is well. What is that about? How many times can you go to the well before God just says this guy is a joke? Why not refrain from lies and sin and then you don't even have to ask for forgivness?

    Last but not least, someone please tell me if everything was created in 7 days why is there no mention of dinosaurs in the bible. As I understand they did walk the earth for quite some time. I don't recall any storys about a t-rex crashing into the garden of Eden.

    I'll sit and wait for all the great responses. Sorry if I didn't spell everything right.

    Steve
    Thank you thank you, thank you. We're definately the minority on this site. We can't possibly be happy, and must mistrust everyone because we don't believe in god. I can't figure out either why you need to believe to be happy with your lot in life. Religion is a crutch that people need to feel like they have a reason for being, and to have something to fall back on when things get crappy in life, or when they need forgiveness for something they've done wrong. Or at least something they think is wrong. Turn to god, he'll fix all your problems. Don't try to come up with a solution yourself. As for the dinosaurs..don't you know that's all a myth made up by atheist scientists, and all those fossils are just weird rocks. Come on man

  7. #72
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    20,677
    Quote Originally Posted by air311 View Post
    If i would read the bible cover to cover, i'm sure I could find some contradictions. What prophecies have come true? Please, enlighten me. I have to give it to you, the church has done a great job in fully brainwashing you. And nice responce to the magical birth of jesus. Why didn't god just create jesus..i mean after all, Adam and Eve supposedly just appeared on earth.
    You are sure of the contradictions? Okay. I'm game. Name them.

    You want me to list 300 prophecies here? Nah. Just google "300 prophecies of Christ". That way, you won't have to go down to Wal-Mart to buy a Bible to see if I'm lying and you'll get a plethora of links. Admittedly there will be a few attempts to discredit all of them but it's kinda like drying up the ocean bottom with a kitchen sponge.

    There are some who say God did create Jesus. But He did not. Jesus is eternal. That means He has always been and always will be. Matter of fact, He is our Creator.

    And He was born of a woman so that you cannot say things like, "Jesus does not understand. He wasn't even born...He was just created." He had to take the same path of life we take in order to be a worthy sacrifice. In other words, He had to be tempted, yet never sin. And we have to understand that. Being born as opposed to being "created" is part of His bona fides, as it were, just like persecution, death, and resurrection are.
    No reserve. No retreat. No regrets.

    For those who have fought for it, freedom has a sweetness the protected will never know.

    http://www.airwarvietnam.com/16thSOSGunners2.jpg

    Proud member of KA Club

  8. #73
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    20,677
    Quote Originally Posted by scrogdog View Post
    I nominate The Federalist Papers and the Encyclopedia Britannica.
    A-a-h, but those works are a result of conspired men, not inspired. In other words, they likely knew each other, no?
    No reserve. No retreat. No regrets.

    For those who have fought for it, freedom has a sweetness the protected will never know.

    http://www.airwarvietnam.com/16thSOSGunners2.jpg

    Proud member of KA Club

  9. #74
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    20,677
    Quote Originally Posted by air311 View Post
    I'm pretty happy and content now. And religion is a crutch for many.
    Well, air, a crutch is a good thing...especially if one is a cripple. And we are ALL spiritual cripples. We fall short of God's glory. We need help to reach it. Jesus Christ is that help we need. He paid the price for our sins so we don't have to.

    (BTW, I am assuming that by "religion", you mean a belief system.)
    No reserve. No retreat. No regrets.

    For those who have fought for it, freedom has a sweetness the protected will never know.

    http://www.airwarvietnam.com/16thSOSGunners2.jpg

    Proud member of KA Club

  10. #75
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    20,677
    Thank you thank you, thank you. We're definately the minority on this site. We can't possibly be happy, and must mistrust everyone because we don't believe in god.

    Really? You afraid believers are gonna shoot you or rape your wife and daughters and pillage your home?

    I can't figure out either why you need to believe to be happy with your lot in life.

    Ya don't. Non-believers die everyday with a smile on their faces. But ya see, this life don't count.

    Religion is a crutch that people need to feel like they have a reason for being, and to have something to fall back on when things get crappy in life, or when they need forgiveness for something they've done wrong. Or at least something they think is wrong. Turn to god, he'll fix all your problems.

    Hmmm;. Ya got a passage that says that? My Bible don't.

    Don't try to come up with a solution yourself.

    Solution to what?

    As for the dinosaurs..don't you know that's all a myth made up by atheist scientists, and all those fossils are just weird rocks. Come on man

    Nope. Dinosaurs are in the Bible, too.
    No reserve. No retreat. No regrets.

    For those who have fought for it, freedom has a sweetness the protected will never know.

    http://www.airwarvietnam.com/16thSOSGunners2.jpg

    Proud member of KA Club

  11. #76
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Woburn, MA
    Posts
    6,662
    Quote Originally Posted by bootlen View Post
    You are sure of the contradictions? Okay. I'm game. Name them.
    Um, I did name one. You did not respond.
    "Social networking" is an oxymoron.

  12. #77
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Woburn, MA
    Posts
    6,662
    Quote Originally Posted by bootlen View Post
    A-a-h, but those works are a result of conspired men, not inspired. In other words, they likely knew each other, no?
    Errr, no. While I agree that obviously the founding fathers knew each other why do the authors of all the different sections and articles of an encyclopedia know each other?
    "Social networking" is an oxymoron.

  13. #78
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,504
    Quote Originally Posted by bootlen View Post
    [b]
    Nope. Dinosaurs are in the Bible, too.
    Tell me where. I want to look that up and read about it.
    Buy American! The job you save may be your own.

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event