Good God, help us... - Page 5
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bootlen View Post
    God inspired each writer...there were 40 of them over a 1500 year period on 3 continents and in 3 languages. And there is not one single contradiction. That alone is evidence of a single author.

If by disciples you mean follower or student of a discipline, kinda. If you mean as in the 12 disciples, no.

The Old Testament was written by about 30 or so men, the New Testament was written by 8 or 9 men. It is unclear exactly who wrote Hebrews. But every word from Genesis 1 through Revelation 22 is God-breathed.
    You truly believe that god inspired people to write the bible? That 40 men were inspired by some infinite being to turn his words into a book? I've read plenty of books witohut contradictions in them that had different authors throughout, so that doesn't mean much. But if you need to think it's gods words, then more power to you.

Quote Originally Posted by air311 View Post
    You truly believe that god inspired people to write the bible? That 40 men were inspired by some infinite being to turn his words into a book? I've read plenty of books witohut contradictions in them that had different authors throughout, so that doesn't mean much. But if you need to think it's gods words, then more power to you.
    Name them, please.
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

What jrbenny said.
    No reserve. No retreat. No regrets.

For those who have fought for it, freedom has a sweetness the protected will never know.

http://www.airwarvietnam.com/16thSOSGunners2.jpg

Proud member of KA Club

What jrbenny said.
    I can look at some of the books i've read and give you names and authors. But that wouldn't do any good anyway. You keep on thinking god inspired the bible. Heroin addicts need a crutch to, but they're thrown in prison.

I can look at some of the books i've read and give you names and authors. But that wouldn't do any good anyway. You keep on thinking god inspired the bible. Heroin addicts need a crutch to, but they're thrown in prison.
    Then ante up.

For those who have fought for it, freedom has a sweetness the protected will never know.

Proud member of KA Club

Then ante up.
    I read a book..I believe it was called We almost lost detroit..about the near meltdown at a nuclear plant outside detroit. It had 3 different authors that wrote parts of it, yet it stayed consistent throughout, no indiscrepancies. If you think every book that has no indiscrepancies in it's story was written by the same author from start to finish, well, you didn't study literature in school. It's not hard to pick up a story, and continue it and stay on course. You say gods word inspired the men who wrote the bible, but how did god inspire them? Did he choose them and speak to them spiritually? I could say someone talked to me and write a book about it, and people would think I am nuts. But it's pointless to argue this, because nobody is going to be persuaded either way that the other person is right. You keep believing if that's what you need to get through life, and i'll keep believing what i believe. I'm going back to studying for the second part of the NATE test, i'll read, with amusement, your response later.

God didnt seem to mind too much when he knocked up Mary at quite a ripe young age.

Quote Originally Posted by yelram View Post
    God didnt seem to mind too much when he knocked up Mary at quite a ripe young age.
    LOL...now that's funny. Never thought of that. And that's another thing I can't believe christians believe..that mary just magically got pregnant and popped out Jesus with no help form any little spermies. I guess abstinence doesn't work after all.

I read a book..I believe it was called We almost lost detroit..about the near meltdown at a nuclear plant outside detroit. It had 3 different authors that wrote parts of it, yet it stayed consistent throughout, no indiscrepancies. If you think every book that has no indiscrepancies in it's story was written by the same author from start to finish, well, you didn't study literature in school. It's not hard to pick up a story, and continue it and stay on course. You say gods word inspired the men who wrote the bible, but how did god inspire them? Did he choose them and speak to them spiritually? I could say someone talked to me and write a book about it, and people would think I am nuts. But it's pointless to argue this, because nobody is going to be persuaded either way that the other person is right. You keep believing if that's what you need to get through life, and i'll keep believing what i believe. I'm going back to studying for the second part of the NATE test, i'll read, with amusement, your response later.

Is that the best you can do? 3 authors on one event in one town? Did these authors ever meet each other? Did the event happen within the lifetime of each of the authors?

Try again. 40 authors, most of whom never met the others; 1400 years; 3 continents; 3 languages; no contradictions.

Proud member of KA Club

LOL...now that's funny. Never thought of that. And that's another thing I can't believe christians believe..that mary just magically got pregnant and popped out Jesus with no help form any little spermies. I guess abstinence doesn't work after all.
    Glad you brought that up. Nothing magic about it.

And there are over 300 prophecies about Jesus in the OT, all of which came true.

Ya got any books like that in your attic?

So far, you're light weight.

Proud member of KA Club

Glad you brought that up. Nothing magic about it.

And there are over 300 prophecies about Jesus in the OT, all of which came true.

Ya got any books like that in your attic?

So far, you're light weight.
    If i would read the bible cover to cover, i'm sure I could find some contradictions. What prophecies have come true? Please, enlighten me. I have to give it to you, the church has done a great job in fully brainwashing you. And nice responce to the magical birth of jesus. Why didn't god just create jesus..i mean after all, Adam and Eve supposedly just appeared on earth.

Air your lack of education again shows itself which diminishes your arguments.

There is no word indescrepancy that would be redundant the same as irregardless. At least irregardless is a non standard form of regardless whereas that is not the same with indiscrepancy.

You have said that Christians need God as a crutch much as a Heroin addict needs a fix. You could not be any less correct, a belief in God does help one to resist many temptation that they might otherwise succumb to. That does not make God a crutch it means God is a grounding or foundation on which one can depend and draw strength from.

Belief in God is a matter of faith and you cannot simply prove out his existence through science or reading. There is plenty of historical basis to support the Bible and its teachings.

Since you are new here I will give you some of my background. In the ninth grade I became an agnostic because I felt that science over rode what I had learned in church and the Bible. My family went to Church but we were not devout and it was not foist upon me. We had actually only attended church at Christmas and Easter for several years.

To make a long story short I was a committed Agnostic from almost 40-years and shared many of the feelings that you and other have. I studied most religions and had many philosophical discussion over the years about my concerns mostly the apparent hypocrisy of those that appeared to be the face of Religion. People like Jimmy Swagart, Jim Baker Oral Roberts and others. What I came to realize is they are not God and they only represent themselves not God or his believers. There are many that believe in God and look for how being a God fearing person or church goers can benefit them financially or materialistically. This is not what God teaches in the Bible but how man prostitutes his word.

I suggest that you read the Bible again as an adult and do so with an open heart instead of with the closed mind of a child having something forced upon them.

My step-daughter through her actions and deeds showed me the way to God and I was fortunate that I listened and accepted Christ as my savior. I am a happier and more content person than I was before. She asked to read the Bible and gave me one she had carried for half her life. I spent the next year reading the Bible and asking questions of her. At the end of that year I chose to accept Christ and be baptized.

As long as you have a closed mind and a hard heart you will never see the truth and you will live a life of anger and mistrust. You may not believe that you are angry or mistrustful but reading your post proves otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by jrbenny View Post
    Name them, please.
    I nominate The Federalist Papers and the Encyclopedia Britannica.
    "Social networking" is an oxymoron.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast