Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Just remember that with your oil furnace you're getting probably 140* supply air. A heat pump will average around 90*. I've heard it before from people who have converted from oil heat that they just don't feel "as warm."

Quote Originally Posted by jrongo View Post
    I plan to replace my 3.5 ton 8 SEER compressor with a 3 ton 16 or 18 SEER compressors very soon. I own an Armstrong Air Ultra 80 oil furnace, Model LUF80C112/125D 20. The furnace is 4 years old and works well.

I had a past post regarding a coil match with an Amana 18 SEER compressor to go with the current 5 ton direct drive blower in the Air Strong furnace…got some great links/info, thanks.

Needless to say, with the high price of distillates not going down any time soon, should I purchase a compressor with heat pump? Could I heat my home in NY with a heat pump on days where the temperature is 40 or higher and only use the oil furnace on days when it is very cold?

Do I have any shot of lowering my bills this way? If I were going to buy a new compressor, coil & TXV either way, would tossing in a heat pump be much more?
    I'm in Wisconsin, and our weather is similar to New Yorks, at least up state NY. A heat pump will cost more up front, but it won't take long to make back the cost in what you save on oil. I've heard people around here say they saved probably $300 this season on oil by putting in a heat pump, and it was a cold winter. If you have a mild winter, you'll save even more. I have oil heat in my own home, and am installing a heat pump later this week. At $3.60 plus a gallon, a heat pump definetly makes sense. If you have an Armstrong furnace, i'd look at an Armstrong heat pump, if you have a dealer in your area that you trust. Not neccessary, I just like sticking with the same brand furnace/AC.

Sorry about that guys, I only saw one page of responses when I typed mine. Sorry if mine is a little late.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12