Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Sounds like convectors.
    They may, or may not be piped up monoflo.

What ever boiler you get. Make sure the contractor checks how they are piped, it will make a difference in the circulator you need.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Yes, I think they are convection/convectors.

The circulating pump specified is TACO 007.
    With a Shaw 9600 programmable thermostat.

Taco 007 is the circulator that comes with most boilers. So they just included the it in the spec listing. Doesn't make it right for the installation.
    Its the WRONG circ for most mono flo systems.
    Contractor locator map

Ok. Will ask about that as well.
    Thanks.

The V-7

was the model with cracked sections (mostly steamers). Burnham realized there was an issue and has replaced blocks out of warranty. The MPO is a great boiler. Look into some boiler outdoor reset controls from Tekmar. Burnham also relabels their controls.

Quote Originally Posted by johnsp View Post
    was the model with cracked sections (mostly steamers). Burnham realized there was an issue and has replaced blocks out of warranty. The MPO is a great boiler. Look into some boiler outdoor reset controls from Tekmar. Burnham also relabels their controls.

Thanks.

What is an outside reset control?

OD reset, regulates the heating system water temp by the OD temp.
    Doesn't let it get hotter then needed for the OD conditions, helps save fuel.
    Contractor locator map

Thanks!

As stated previously, the Burnham V7 lineup was widely plagued with short lived cast iron heat exhangers. IMO, they're all no good, it's only a matter of time before they crack and leak water.

The V7 series boiler was discontinued because of that, replaced by the V8. But I've witnessed a few leakers in the V8 series now too.....if the past is any indication of the future, I wouldn't put one in.

The MPO really looks good and is 100% American-made, unlike the Buderus. Being the MPO is distinctly different than a conventional V7 or V8 boiler, I believe the issues with the V series boiler is not applicable to the MPO.

I'd go with the MPO if it were my home. Where does your hot water come from?...the MPO does not have a tankless heater (nor does the Buderus either). Good time to install an in-direct hot water tank if you don't already have one.

Thanks. My hot water comes from a electric hot water heater, which I'm also replacing.

My number one problem now is whether to switch to gas (which I have in the house) or stay with oil.

I go through about 400 gallons of oil a year. So, total cost is $700-$1000 per year for heating the house...more this year because costs are way up (over $3 a gallon). And a new burner will be much more efficient (the one being replaced is 30 years old)

Talking to friends with natural gas, sounds like their costs are much higher (adjusting for use/house size etc).

Natural gas boilers are cheaper, but it's only a one-time savings of a couple hundred. Oil burners, however, need yearly cleaning, adjusting etc.

Not sure how to do a cost estimate to compare/contrast.

Well, if you want an expensive high efficiency gas boiler. Check into a Weil McLain Ultra.
    Contractor locator map

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12