Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New boiler: need help

My old boiler (oil, supplies water to radiators) cracked.

Lowest estimate is for Burnham MPO 147-TB.
    Is this a good unit?

Thanks.

Mark
    Last edited by McRumi; 02-29-2008 at 03:09 PM.

First remove the price.

Second: Please read the site rules. No posting prices, or pricing questions allowed.

Third. The MPO is a good boiler.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

DoH!

Sorry bout that! Will change first message.
    And thanks for the quick reply!

You are focused in the wrong direction.

Do you want the lowest estimate, or the best installation?

The sour taste of bad quality isn't long forgotten after the sweet smell of a cheap price fades.
    How tall are you Private???!!!!

Clarification

Just wanted to know about quality of Burnham MPO 147.
    Thanks.

Red face boiler

dude i dunno lately i have changed out a few burnhams that cracked very prematurely and Burnahm would not warantee them ... i don't usually install them so i really cannot speak of them with authority(just what i've witnessed) did any of your contractors offer weil-mclaine?? it's a good boiler.

Why would burnham not warranty them? I have never had a problem with warranty on a burnham. They will give you a new block if it has a crack.
    Karst means cave. So, I search for caves.

If you're looking at oil boilers, I'd recommend something else. Burnham has had a lot of problems with their oil boilers cracking for the past several years. If you want cast iron and have cast iron radiators, I'd recommend either a Buderus or Viessmann oil boiler. You can get them in condensing models that will allow you to operate your system the most economically, with the coolest water for the given outdoor temperature. They do cost more initially but the savings of opeating your radiant heat panels (otherwise known as radiators) at lower temperatures will give greater comfort to your body and your wallet. I'm sure we all expect oil prices to keep on going up for a while so investing in a condensing boiler is in your best interest. Mind you, if you're calling copper finned baseboard convectors radiators then my opinion would be different but if you're operating cast iron radiators and/or cast iron baseboard, you actually have radiant panels and should take full advantage of the lower temperature heating advantage of such a system.
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!

Efficiency is the most important thing. I've put in steel boilers with large cast iron stand up radiator systems, and cast iron boilers with copper fin baseboard. IMO, makes no difference, but with cast iron, you have to put a bypass after the flow valve and before the circulator.

Yes Burnham did have some issues with oil boilers. Not sure that means homeowners should avoid their boilers in the future.

But most failed sections come from installation issues, namely taking on fresh water. Unlike forced air mfrs, it seems boiler makers want the sections back and if they deem the failure externally caused, they will deny it. Have had that happen and expected it too!

Like with any HVAC equipment, key is best proper installation and correct sizing. That's harder to find than a good boiler!

I've never had one crack, but I always use a bypass. I would like to know how they determine fault for a crack. I know enough about metallurgy to wonder about that.

They only void warranty if there is evidence of misapplication, or dry firing.

Or sometimes people think that steam boilers have the same warranty as water bnoilers, they don't.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Replies

Thanks guys.
    I wil talk to my installer about these issues.
    The radiators are not the traditional cast iron types but a straight horizontal pipe near the floor above which is a baffle of sorts....all enclosed in a large metal box which has vents from which the heat escapes..
    Not sure if that makes a difference.
    The installer did recommend a Buderus as well, but at almost double the cost of the Burnham. I will ask if there are other manufacturers available.
    I need to take a loan out for this so cost is an issue. I'd rather pay for excellent installation over Cadillac-price boiler....not that I have a choice right now. But I prefer Chevy trucks.

Also i live in Richmond VA so my heating needs are not extraordinary.
    A good, solid, reasonably-priced American-made boiler should suffice.

Again, thanks for the input. Very helpful!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast