Is this proper operation?

First, let me say thanks for having a forum such as this.

We built a new house last May and had 2 Goodman split units with variable speed air handlers installed. This is the first variable speed unit I've experienced so I have some general questions. The reason for my questions are that the two units have different characteristics.

In A/C mode the upstairs fan blows pretty hard, but the downstairs fan blows about half as hard. They both cool as expected. Why the difference?

In the heat mode the upstairs fan still blows pretty hard until it goes into defrost mode then it really sounds like a turbine engine, but the downstairs unit never seems to operate the same. Sometimes, quite frequently lately, it comes on full blast in the auxillary mode for about 10 minutes, then clicks off the auxillary mode for 10 seconds, then clicks back into the auxillary mode for 10-15 seconds before clicking back off auxillary again usually for good. After that the fan speed goes down to about half speed for a few minutes, then goes back to full speed again until it cuts off. Now all the time the digital thermostat is set at 69 and never gets below 69 nor does it go above 69 at the end of the cycle. Other times it comes on normal heat mode and the fan is about half speed until it goes into defrost mode then the auxillary kicks in and the fan goes to full speed. Does this sound like normal function of this unit? Also, should the unit go thru a defrost mode every time it runs?

Thanks,
    Will

Sounds like the upstairs unit wasn't set up properly. Call the installing contractor back, and have them check it. It may be at factory default settings.

As far as defrost every time it runs no mtter how cold or warm it is outside, no.
    But as it gets colder out, it will tend to defrost when it has a long run time.

Call the installing contractor, and have them check it out.

Have you changed your air filters recently.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

theres a good chance the duct work could be undersized, hopefully they didn't install a larger unit than was previously in there, ask them to come verify the static pressure for the duct system

Quote Originally Posted by air2spare View Post
    hopefully they didn't install a larger unit than was previously in there,

Its new construction, there should not have been a previous unit.
    Contractor locator map

No previous unit, and yes on the filter replacement. Also, I forgot to mention in the earlier post that the system is not balanced or thats what I've been told. By that I mean there are three rooms downstairs that very little air comes out of the vents. Could this be contributing to my problem? I have called the installing contractor, who explained to me about balancing, and he is coming when his schedule permits.

beenthere - I am more bothered by the way the downstairs unit is operating, but you seem to have more of a concern with the upstairs unit?? So, the downstairs is fine coming on in the auxillary mode even though the thermostat is reading the set/desired temp? Our outside air temp is running mid 50s today and it is still coming on that way.

I misunderstood. I thought from the way you wrote it, the upstairs unit was cycling like that.

You want to have it checked also.
    Contractor locator map

I decided to change the thermostat setting and lo and behold it started working normal again. I am going to change it back to the original setting and see if it acts up again. I'll let you know.