Thread: RenewAire BR130 question

Post Likes

RenewAire BR130 question

Firstly, I wanted to thank the forum. I have learned alot about HRVs and ERVs from searching through previous posts.

My question is: I am considering getting a Renewaire BR130 erv installed, but after looking at the spec sheet I am a little confused.

http://www.renewaire.com/catalog/index.php

It is designed to be mounted on your return duct, which means that the "stale air" pick up point, would only be a foot or so away from where it would introduce fresh air into the system?

I showed it to the HVAC guy I had come out to give an estimate, and he was confused too.

His company sells Honeywell units, But I would like to stick with the renewaire because of the frost free design, and other good things I have read about them.

should I be concerned about the design of this particular unit?

If it matters I live in central Indiana

thank you again
    James

Post Likes
    you could use the ev series they are remote mount

Post Likes
    After installing your erv, monitor your indoor %RH. During damp cool summer weather, most homes with inadequate fresh fresh are drier than Ventilated homes. It would be interesting to hear reports from home owners ventilating with ervs. ERVs partially reduce moisture loads as long as dry air is exhausted. With clothes driers, bath fans, and kitchen hoods, outside air is needed. Adding that moisture to the partial moisture from the ERV and occupants during wet cool weather makes the home damp. You need the fresh air, therefore supplemental dehumidification is a must for ideal indoor air quality. Regards TB
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

Post Likes

Angry Rated versus Actual Flow and Efficiency Performance

Quote Originally Posted by stanchfi View Post
    Firstly, I wanted to thank the forum. I have learned alot about HRVs and ERVs from searching through previous posts.

My question is: I am considering getting a Renewaire BR130 erv installed, but after looking at the spec sheet I am a little confused.

http://www.renewaire.com/catalog/index.php

, which means that the "stale air" pick up point, would only be a foot or so away from where it would introduce fresh air into the system?

Should I be concerned about the design of this particular unit?
    No, not if the installation adheres to the RenewAire requirements:

See I/O Manual

It is recommended that the BR units be used with standard furnace air handling equipment with velocities not exceeding 750 fpm at the point in the return air duct where the BR unit is attached.

An alternate field measurement would be to locate the BR unit where the static pressure measurement does not exceed -0.2 inch.

If the air handling system is high velocity or high pressure
    then the EV Series of products by RenewAire is recommended.

______

EV series will provide xxx air flow depending on specific air handler operation and RenewArie blower characteristics.

Airflow CFM
    ESP in H20
    Temp EFF&#37;
    Total EFF% Winter/Summer*
    52 0.70 83 75/60
    69 0.60 80 72/57
    94 0.50 76 67/52
    113 0.40 73 64/48
    124 0.35 71 62/46
    132 0.30 70 60/44

In other words, one might anticipate ~ 80 CFM at 76% efficiency.
    Last edited by dan sw fl; 03-01-2008 at 06:37 AM.
    Designer Dan __ It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with Some Art. _ _ KEEP IT SIMPLE & SINCERE ___ __ www.mysimplifiedhvac.com ___ __ Define the Building Envelope & Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows & Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Post Likes
    Thank you for the replys

I'm not an HVAC guy (I will be getting the unit professionally installed) I just wanted to make sure I get a "good" unit installed. and the design concerned me.

Though much of your reply was greek to me, I assume this unit is designed to only be on when the furnace fan is running?

It seems to me, that with no other air moving, this unit would pump fresh air into the return duct, and exhaust it back out, since the path of least resistance would be right from the intake to the return (since they are so close together) Most other units I looked at had 4 ducts, so the intake and return could be place much further apart.

I think I will look at the EV series, or maybe the Trane units, since I believe there is a Trane supplier in my area. And my only real concern is that the unit has the "lossnay" frost free core.

Thanks again, Great site, with lots of helpful information for homeowners!!!
    -James

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in