Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Red face furnace?

heat pump with oil furnace as a dual fuel great way to go... get that thermopride... i've installed dozens, they are so well made! you wont be disapointed.

Please note that all the recommendations for a heat pump as part of a dual fuel system are recommending something entirely different from trying to heat your home totallly with a heat pump. You'll use the heat pump for the warmer weather and the oil unit for the coldest weather. Having said that, if a heat pump is properly sized for heating, it will do the job comfortably. Most HPs of old were designed for cooling, not heating. So they relied on a duct system sized for cooling, a HP that ran out of capacity at about 30-degrees OAT and great discomfort for the residents in both temperature and expense of operation. Todays heat pumps are eons ahead on efficiency and again, if sized for heating down to the coldes temperatures, you can be comfortable. If using just a HP for heating, you'll definitely want a 2-stage unit as it would be oversized for 1-stage cooling. 2-stage heating & cooling (not including additional stages for aux. heating) will give you the best of both worlds.

We install Thermopride and think they're the best oil furnace on the market. Solidly built, available with variable speed blowers and they even have a 2-stage unit. Great product. Personally if I were doing dual fuel, I'd go with a Bryant Evolution Hybrid Heat system that can work with the Thermopride furnace.
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!

It's hard to stop a Trane.
    I am the "Wally". All others are meer imitations of the original.

Quote Originally Posted by wally01 View Post
    It's hard to stop a Trane.
    BS
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Thanks for your input. Even if HP have come along way, I'd be really nervous about spending significant $$ on something with which I had a very bad experience. I like oil heat because it blows warm air. My experience with the HP was always cold, even when the outside temp was above freezing.

Can anyone suggest what I could do to ease my concerns over my negative experiences?

Do you know anybody that has a newer HP installed in their house.
    If so, visit them, and ask about the air temps they get when its above 40* OD temp.

If you know anybody that has a duel fuel heat pump, they are the ones you should talk to.

Other then that.
    Do a search on this board for duel fuel, and see what other s have to say about their systems.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

I can give you names of MANY that have done this,some work for Sunoco and they realize they oil is costly to run in MILD weather.They put out air that is over 110 degrees,where before it was in the 80 degree range. In some states like Delaware or Maryland they do not get the break on the power.Remember if you put in a heat pump you can always switch it to the oil or change the balance point,with a/c you stuck and always oil and 15 cents a KW and PECO is raising their rates in 2010 BIG TIME!!Go up from 6 cents or 15 cents on the rate increase and with fuel costs we do not sell many a/c units.A home of your size goes through around 3 tanks of oil a season. The DUAL FUEL would be closer to 1 tank maybe alittle more pay back in 2-4 years MAX!!!
    It's NOT the BRAND,it's the company that installs it!!!!!

Coleman
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Air Temp

I can see where on paper it makes sense to use a heat pump. However, I'm still struggling with how cold the air feels when its coming out of the vents. Have HP's evolved so that the temp of the air discharged to the room is higher than HP's of 25 years ago?

If there is no difference in the discharge air temp, I doubt I would want a heat pump to supply my heating at any outside temp.

If you can feel the discharge air then there is a problem with the duct design, IMO. The airflow should be enough to properly deliver the cfm required to heat the room but not enough to notice air movement. If you end up with a new system and the duct will be on the small side of ok with it you will probably have air turbulence and feel drafts, if you are a person who likes to feel the air blasting out the vents at 175 degrees from your oil burner, then spend the extra money on oil every month and forget the pump, it's your choice, but with fuel prices where they are at you will miss out on some lower cost heating bills. BUT... the most important thing in my mind is what are you comfortable with. I drive gas guzzling pickups and cars instead of a tin can at 30mpg (well I got one for my wife I guess) because I like the comfort of a larger vehicle(6'3")
    Last edited by cmajerus; 03-01-2008 at 10:46 PM.
    You can't fix stupid

Help with Cooling Cost Calculations

I'm trying to figure out how much I will saving replacing my existing 8 SEER AC with the higher efficiency units. I'm using a formula I found online that utilizes annual cooling hours, but what I don't know what to use for the annual cooling hours for the Philadelphia area. We pretty much run our AC from mid May through mid September. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

812 hours is Wilmington, DE since your closer to that then Philly!!
    It's NOT the BRAND,it's the company that installs it!!!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12