Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    they aren't hard to work with. but they deff. make sure the job is done right, and they deff. have the HO best interest in mind. did you see that video i posted?? you would never see that here!!!! thats what i like about a tight run inspections dept.
    If Guns Kill People, Do Pencils Misspell Words?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An2a1...eature=related

Before we work on artificial intelligence why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

Thats true,you would never see that in NH co.

Quote Originally Posted by beachtech View Post
    ... or maybe you can check out those roof top package units in AZ!! yeah i wouldn't work on them either!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1dSXI8jmS8
    A lot of those don't look too bad... most of the roofs appear to be less than an 8/12 pitch. Could be worse. The two ladder ones don't look too appealing, though.

I don't understand the point of putting them up there. Isn't the ambient temperature higher on the roof compared to the ground? Seems like any duct/flex savings is offset by the need for a crane to do the job. I would rather give up the space for a mechanical closet than put the equipment on a roof.

The tile roof with the asphalt landing strip sure looks cheesy. I bet the service calls have to be done early or late to keep from messing up the shingles.

They should at least use a real curb instead of the angle iron frames...

Quote Originally Posted by neophytes serendipity View Post
    A lot of those don't look too bad... most of the roofs appear to be less than an 8/12 pitch. Could be worse. The two ladder ones don't look too appealing, though.

I don't understand the point of putting them up there. Isn't the ambient temperature higher on the roof compared to the ground? Seems like any duct/flex savings is offset by the need for a crane to do the job. I would rather give up the space for a mechanical closet than put the equipment on a roof.

The tile roof with the asphalt landing strip sure looks cheesy. I bet the service calls have to be done early or late to keep from messing up the shingles.

They should at least use a real curb instead of the angle iron frames...
    When some of those communities have houses stacked on top of each other, I imagine they're trying to keep as much space as possible of there 200 sq ft of yard.

Hey at least the brick layer, didn't solid brick it. They left holes for you to get your hoses through.

I imagine you could pull the top off the unit and work through the top of it.

I've worked on much worse things, like heatpumps mounted in a ceiling right over someones desk, or a wall. You literally have to work on the unit in 2 rooms

Oh well, I definitely don't agree with the install, friggin' thing should be moved at least. I can't remember who said it, but just moving the unit out 2 or 3 feet in each direction would be enough, run new piping, electrical, and your good. But no, it's not "appealing".

Look ahead a bit. How would you even get to the coils to clean them if needed? If you HAD to take the time to cut unit free, why not just pump it down then cut free, but you might as well make a really strong case to relocate the unit. I think your idea is not too far fetched, but there is a can of worms about to be opened if you went that far to service unit. How bad do you really want that aggravation? (I'm also in commercial HVAC and have seen similar situations.)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123