+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone want to change an reversing valve in this one?

Post Likes

Anyone want to change an reversing valve in this one?

Saw this sometime ago and laughed when I was told that was the unit I was called out for.
    http://picasaweb.google.com/ChrLBran...ey=IcPIehwIef0
    I told them to take the wall down and then I would work on it,have not been back yet and don't care to.Should have been the unit next to it in the last pic and I would have worked on it.

Post Likes
    How the hell do you even diagnose a faulty reversing valve on that nightmare.

Post Likes
    It would be more cost effective to just sel them a new one, and make sure you have an accesible access door.
    Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day.

Post Likes
    I am glad I wasn't on that call. So what did you ended up doing and how did you get in there?

Post Likes
    Never mind I didn't get pass the pics to read on. Bad air distribution also

Post Likes
    I refused to work on it,I'm guessing that it was the RV.I told them to call me when the wall is down.I have not been back yet so I guess that they got some sucker to work on it.I point blank refused to and to my boss no along with the customer.Boss agreed with me 100%

Post Likes
    Its not the customers fault that its so close to the wall. Recover gas cut the line set and disconnect power. Move the unit and now u have as much room as u want. That would take an hour extra at the most including the two couplings? That would be fustrating but very feasable.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kneehigh View Post
    Its not the customers fault that its so close to the wall. Recover gas cut the line set and disconnect power. Move the unit and now u have as much room as u want. That would take an hour extra at the most including the two couplings? That would be fustrating but very feasable.
    Recover, cut the unit free and move it, level pad, add piping, evacuate, rewire, put back the refrigerant that was reclaimed....

All in an hour?

Guess it depends on what corners are cut....

Post Likes
    Actually it is their fault.They told the brick contractor to put it as close to the unit as they could.Also they did not want me to move the unit,wanted me to work on it as it was.Not going to happen.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by neophytes serendipity View Post
    Recover, cut the unit free and move it, level pad, add piping, evacuate, rewire, put back the refrigerant that was reclaimed....

All in an hour?

Guess it depends on what corners are cut....
    I think you misunderstood me? I said an hour extra. No extra piping needed, cut the pipe rotate the unit for access. Perform reversing valve repair. Rotate back to original location add one coupling per line and rewire. Now you would pressure test and evacuate. Thats what I meant.

Post Likes
    I think you misunderstood me? I said an hour extra. No extra piping needed, cut the pipe rotate the unit for access. Perform reversing valve repair. Rotate back to original location add one coupling per line and rewire. Now you would pressure test and evacuate. Thats what I meant.
    You`re kidding.........Right?
    I love overtime I just hate working for it.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by sirjames View Post
    You`re kidding.........Right?
    I think I would have take our basic price, trippled it and taken the time needed to do it right. Doing it right would probably be replacing the system. I don't like replacing reversing valves to start with. Dealing with idiots carrys a special, double price tag. Want to watch? That's triple. Want to help? That's quadruple and the client has to warrant the work him/herself. The amount of work I'm willing to put in on a job like that is inversely proportional to the amount of work I have for the day.
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!

Post Likes

Confused

I'm not trying to argue with anyone. Is my idea really that outrageous? I understand that you probably don't have the manufactures clearances any more around the outdoor coil. I just dont think that the repair would be that difficult. I work on commercial HVAC/r so I dont have to deal with home owners. I suppose I just like helping out the customer as much as possible. Can you guys explain why I'm wrong. Thank You

Post Likes
    Leave unit as it is.
    Set new unit on top of it,
    cut lineset repipe to new unit. Same with electric.

Bodda bing,
    now it's where you can work on it in the future.
    Til the brick layer adds to the wall.
    If you try to fail, and succeed.
    Which have you done ?

Post Likes
    Well its not installed correctly to begin with. So say you cut it loose, turn it, do the repair and re-install it. It still has the airflow problem. Well now you just married it because you were the last one out there. So now they call you out because "it doesnt cool like it did before." I hate customers like that. They want to be comfortable, but they dont want to see it, and dont care about the person who has to work on it.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by AMS481 View Post
    I hate customers like that. They want to be comfortable, but they dont want to see it, and dont care about the person who has to work on it.
    People like that make me so mad that I can not see straight.I really get p*ssed on calls like this.But this is a commercial job,and the brick wall was added later.I am glad that I refused to work on it,and would do it over again the sameway.I just did not want to be married to this f**k up situation.

Post Likes
    At least you got a cool boss that stands behind you when you find crap like that.

I've gone through a few that would expect you to fix it. And if you sold them a new one, they'd have the installers put it right back how it was before!

Is that job visable form the street where you could snoop next time you drove by and see if it looks like it had been fixed by another co.?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by PaysonHVAC View Post
    At least you got a cool boss that stands behind you when you find crap like that.

I've gone through a few that would expect you to fix it. And if you sold them a new one, they'd have the installers put it right back how it was before!

Is that job visable form the street where you could snoop next time you drove by and see if it looks like it had been fixed by another co.?
    I should hope that my boss would stand behind me,he is my dad.He knows that when I say not going to happen,their is a very good reason for it.

That wall is facing the street and about a day later I was on that road,and I saw about 3 vans of one of my competition over there and I laughed and said to myself good luck.

Post Likes
    Oh yeah Payson,I got an hacked unit that I believe that might even got all of yours beat.I got the pics for it and I have been saven it for just the right occasion.

Post Likes
    I'm not trying to argue with anyone. Is my idea really that outrageous? I understand that you probably don't have the manufactures clearances any more around the outdoor coil. I just dont think that the repair would be that difficult. I work on commercial HVAC/r so I dont have to deal with home owners. I suppose I just like helping out the customer as much as possible. Can you guys explain why I'm wrong. Thank You
    Would you hire a crane to rig rooftop units into the parking lot so it would be easier to work on?
    I love overtime I just hate working for it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in