hvamimi is offline Waiting Email Confirmation

Johnson "system technician"

Curious as to what exactly this position consists of and pay scale for the Milwaukee area. Pros and cons to working for Johnson. Any info. would be appreciated.

Entry level, good place to start if you are young and hungry. Great benifits, 30k-40k starting (guess). Company vehical, good training and experience. Nice way to get into controls.

JCI does have a tendency to shake things up every once in a while. I've seen them screw good people over. If you can hang in for a few years and get some experience you can take that anywhere and find a good job with someone else. I've made it 9 years now with no regrets, but don't be fooled into thinking it will last forever. You are just a number at JCI.

hvamimi is offline Waiting Email Confirmation
    You say entry level, I have been installing Johnson for about 3 years at the local ABCS. I read control drawings and sequence and can do the wiring and basic programming for metasys and FX. Do you think this would be the right position or what is the next step up?

Quote Originally Posted by hvamimi View Post
    You say entry level, I have been installing Johnson for about 3 years at the local ABCS. I read control drawings and sequence and can do the wiring and basic programming for metasys and FX. Do you think this would be the right position or what is the next step up?
    You have some experience, make sure you get as much $$$ going in as you can. Play the game, don't accept the first offer. JCI has been trying to push wages down and keep them down....don't sell out cheap.

Get as much as you can, and try to start as a System Tech Level 1. There are four levels of ST. You get a annual raise and promotional raises when you advance. Make every step count.

mackinaw has posted good advice... get as much as you can going in because the annual raises are low (2-3%), but getting an extra roman numeral after your title can bump you up 5-15% or more if they see you as productive.

One thing though, JCI has mostly eliminated giving out company vehicles to ST positions. You can try to make that a negotiating point, but some branches just won't do it.

Have you considered reloating... JCI is looking for techs in some places they are hurting, they'd rather take people who know something rather than have to train someone green. There is a company truck/van, it does depend on what branch your out of, it's up to the branch manager. I found that out awhile back in a training class when you put guys from diffrent locations in the same room they talk and some arn't so happy lol. You know JCI controls so you have that step up! If your willing to move you might bargin for more $$$.
    "Yeah I can figure out whats wrong with it, but you were here first and there isn't room for two, plus it's cold up here, I'll be in the van"

Quote Originally Posted by keepyoucool2003 View Post
    Have you considered reloating... JCI is looking for techs in some places they are hurting, they'd rather take people who know something rather than have to train someone green.
    Hey Freddy, sounds like you could be working with NAEs every day if you want!

Unfortunately, I do see them too often. I have 4 of these beautys recently replaced sitting on my kitchen table right now and for sale if anyone is interested in them. one 55and three 45's.

Quote Originally Posted by freddy-b View Post
    I have 4 of these beautys recently replaced sitting on my kitchen table right now and for sale if anyone is interested in them. one 55and three 45's.
    I thought I remembered a post where someone was interested in buying used NAEs.

Are you offering a finders fee?

http://www.hvac-talk.com/vbb/showpos...1&postcount=11

Quote Originally Posted by keepyoucool2003 View Post
    Have you considered reloating... JCI is looking for techs in some places they are hurting, they'd rather take people who know something rather than have to train someone green. There is a company truck/van, it does depend on what branch your out of, it's up to the branch manager. I found that out awhile back in a training class when you put guys from diffrent locations in the same room they talk and some arn't so happy lol. You know JCI controls so you have that step up! If your willing to move you might bargin for more $$$.
    That makes me laugh. They got rid of most of those cause you have to actually pay them for what they know. Ironically I switched to working for a mechanical contractor now and man does JCI hate working for me.

Quote Originally Posted by freddy-b View Post
    Unfortunately, I do see them too often. I have 4 of these beautys recently replaced sitting on my kitchen table right now and for sale if anyone is interested in them. one 55and three 45's.
    Willing to deal? Don't suppose you need any new parts...?
    "Yeah I can figure out whats wrong with it, but you were here first and there isn't room for two, plus it's cold up here, I'll be in the van"