American Standard furnace problem

American Standard, model: AUD140R960A1, s/n: H2650 8858
    Ignition Module: WR 50A51-405 (Trane pt CNT1308)

Problem: Igniter was bad, yet WR gas valve opens during start up sequence and lets gas into the burners without igniter on. It will fire on the new igniter I installed. It completes heating cycle and shuts down as it should. No code on module except normal call for heat function. New one on me. Certainly this is not normal. Control should not open gas valve unless it has an igniter signal, right? Any help as to what to check is appreciated. Thanks, sonny

Reply to talk site or to <<removed>> (changed ISP service)
    Last edited by jrbenny; 02-28-2008 at 03:37 PM. Reason: no emails in posts...put it in your profile

i seen this once and ended up replacing the board. i think the new one is a "redo" design as well.
    If Guns Kill People, Do Pencils Misspell Words?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An2a1...eature=related

Before we work on artificial intelligence why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

If your gas valve was staying open without the (old) ignitor ever glowing, then you have some problems, and should call a HVAC company right away.

That control has no clue if the ignitor works or not, Yes it will open the gas valve but will shut down the gas valve in a couple of seconds if no flame is present. If Im thinking of the correct controller it will only give a code if it locks out.

that is not abnormal the board does not know when the igniter has reached ignition temp, it then closes gas valve goes into a purge cycle and tries again up to three times before lock out.

Is it the correct ignitor? Some ignitors take longer to reach ignition temp than others.
    A Veteran is a person, who at some point in their life, wrote a blank check payable to the United States of America for payment up to and including their life.
    Gene Castagnetti-Director of the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific in Hawaii

Quote Originally Posted by beachtech View Post
    i seen this once and ended up replacing the board. i think the new one is a "redo" design as well.
    Yep same here

Quote Originally Posted by doc havoc View Post
    Is it the correct ignitor? Some ignitors take longer to reach ignition temp than others.
    Another possibility

Wrong forum for so much info.