Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 53 to 65 of 68
  1. #53
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    12
    classical, i have your cell number will call you tomorrow. we have company right now and i wouldn't be able to hear. they did come over and reset breakers so at least it is working. But i will call you tomorrow.

    Thank you so much for your help thus far!

  2. #54
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    The South
    Posts
    2,198
    Tamayra

    Let us know the outcome of your trouble.
    I'll cross my fingers for you.

    TD

  3. #55
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    12
    the hvac guy adjusted the ducts (air flow) last night and at least now we are only having to run it on 72(but it isn't real cold now but my husband and i are also very cold natured). i spoke to classical and explained alot of things to him and he suggested a few things. i will probably be calling him to come check a few things out in a couple of weeks. I believe he is also going to post something regarding this.

    I wish i would have found this site before i went with the company i did as far as installation, etc. but you can't turn back time, you learn something new everyday.

    I will update regarding this. And I sincerely appreciate the suggestions/advice everyone has given me here.

    I just really wanted to say thanks!

  4. #56
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    298

    Hot & cold

    I lived in Houston from 1980 to 2005 and I also worked as an A/C Tech for those years, heat pumps are not usually used since for the most part you may only get a month of cold weather and not in a row. A 3.5-ton is about right for that size house; most people don’t realize how hot and humid it really is there. Spring starts in March till April then its summer until November, then its fall and a mild winter until Feb, if you go with a smaller system your unit would most likely run most of the time. If anything ,you need to over size just a little and invest in a good dehumidifier, look for those that have never lived there. Its 6 am. And you walk out side and the heat just takes your breath away, you walk 20 ft. to your van and your sweating bullets' the sun hasn’t even came out yet. I put a 3.5 ton on my 1100 sq. ft house and a Lennox dehumidifier and it cooled and cycled just fine, you do realize they have the highest rate of electricity down there? Our bills would run from 80.00 to 300.00 a month with all electric house. Maybe you have a draft problem, stat location to direct sun etc, I don’t think it’s your unit but have some one look at some other reasons as well.

  5. #57
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Houston Texas
    Posts
    6,323
    OK here is what we discovered when I talked to Tamarya.

    The system is R-410A and they did not replace the line set and I assure knowing this company they did not flush or pull a satisfactory or proper vacuum.

    They installed four new ducts flex and seal of the ducts had the dampers closed in addition one tech closed off the supply registers.

    There is a 20"X30" return grill mounted in an interior hall floor level; insufficient for a 3.5-ton unit but shouldn't really effect the heat.

    They installing company has been out numerous times since Nov. and at least one time they sealed up some air leaks.

    They use subs for installs many times with untrained illegal helpers picked up on the street corner. One of the installers told her he would come back on his own time and replace all of her ductwork for less than the company would charge. We suspect he may have closed off several ducts in the attic to provide impetus for replacing the ductwork.

    The next to last tech out took one of the strips out of the circuit to extend run time because the system was short cycling. They have considerable floor space that is tile and the main living area has a vaulted ceiling.

    I suggested she run the ceiling fan in reverse on low to move the heated air to the floor.

    She was given a one year satisfaction guarantee and has the possible option of having the system removed and her money refunded.

    Right now she is going to see how things work and will have me come out when it is warmer and evaluate the system.

  6. #58
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Houston,Tx.
    Posts
    16,004
    American Reaming Service yep my guess also.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

    "Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

  7. #59
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Ft.Worth,Tx
    Posts
    4,584

    Bad T-Stat/ wiring

    Quote Originally Posted by TamayraS View Post
    It still hasn't come on and i have it turned to 79 now. But they are coming back out.

    They installed new thermostat with the unit. it is a White Rodgers Model #IF86-344.

    Thanks all and i will give Classical a call.

    It was ARS
    Mercury bulb thermostat, and they didn't change (yellow) wire from Y-A to bring fan on with electric heat and didn't set heat anticipator either.

    Need to check with different company like classical and have him do his magic , and BAM! You will have heat and smaller electric bills. Better thing of saving for heat pump though the way electric cost are going.
    "Everyday above ground, is a good day".
    "But everyday that you have made a difference in someones life, may insure you stay above ground a little longer".<aircooled>

  8. #60

    mini split air conditioners

    You need to install ductless split air conditioner, they are lot easy to install and energy efficient, whisper quiet operation.

    To view few of these, visit my spammed website.
    Last edited by jrbenny; 03-03-2008 at 06:39 AM.

  9. #61
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    18951
    Posts
    1,593
    Quote Originally Posted by pkinger76 View Post
    You need to install ductless split air conditioner, they are lot easy to install and energy efficient, whisper quiet operation.

    To view few of these, visit <deleted>
    Did you read the site rules? I think that 2 posts with links to your web site might possibly come under rule #4. "Advertising of Web Sites and Products is not accepted on this site - so don't do it. It will be deleted. If you would like to purchase advertising space, please contact."
    Last edited by jrbenny; 03-03-2008 at 06:38 AM.

  10. #62
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Dixie
    Posts
    40
    Quote Originally Posted by bobb25 View Post
    Did you read the site rules? I think that 2 posts with links to your web site might possibly come under rule #4. "Advertising of Web Sites and Products is not accepted on this site - so don't do it. It will be deleted. If you would like to purchase advertising space, please contact HVAC.Talk@gmail.com"
    Ductless splits are NOT a great idea for home applications. For one they are hanging on the wall or the ceiling, they have filtration issues and if the condensate pump backs up (if one is even installed) it damagings the living area.

  11. #63
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Dixie
    Posts
    40
    Quote Originally Posted by vet View Post
    I lived in Houston from 1980 to 2005 and I also worked as an A/C Tech for those years, heat pumps are not usually used since for the most part you may only get a month of cold weather and not in a row. A 3.5-ton is about right for that size house; most people don’t realize how hot and humid it really is there. Spring starts in March till April then its summer until November, then its fall and a mild winter until Feb, if you go with a smaller system your unit would most likely run most of the time. If anything ,you need to over size just a little and invest in a good dehumidifier, look for those that have never lived there. Its 6 am. And you walk out side and the heat just takes your breath away, you walk 20 ft. to your van and your sweating bullets' the sun hasn’t even came out yet. I put a 3.5 ton on my 1100 sq. ft house and a Lennox dehumidifier and it cooled and cycled just fine, you do realize they have the highest rate of electricity down there? Our bills would run from 80.00 to 300.00 a month with all electric house. Maybe you have a draft problem, stat location to direct sun etc, I don’t think it’s your unit but have some one look at some other reasons as well.
    I agree that the condensing unit might be the right size. Adding a good dehumidifier is a great idea because it reduces the required capacity of the condensing unit. By removing the humidity from the air you can raise your thermostat set point temperature from say 75 to say 78 and still be very compfortable without being clammy. I disagree completely that one should oversize a condensing unit however. This violates rule #1 in engineering and will lead to the compressor cycling on and off and an elevation in humidity level. Remember, the thermostat is a sensible temperature detector only and once the T-stat senses that the room temperature is with in 1 degree of set point it will signal the condensing unit to shut off. The T-stat does not measure humidity. For proper dehumidification the condensing unit must be on longer to dry out the air. Temperature is satisified much quicker than dehumidification. This is an often overlooked thermodynamic condition, especially in school designs. I am sure everyone reading this blog has been in a room that is cold and clammy...a direct result of the condensing unit shutting off before it has a chance to dehumidify the air. Solution is a dehumidifier, a better solution is hotgas bypass, best solution is an APR valve ($$). But never oversize a condensing unit in increases cycle time and wear and tear on the compressor leading to premature compressor failure ($$$$$).
    Amen.

  12. #64
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Houston Texas
    Posts
    6,323
    Quote Originally Posted by navair86 View Post
    I agree that the condensing unit might be the right size. Adding a good dehumidifier is a great idea because it reduces the required capacity of the condensing unit. By removing the humidity from the air you can raise your thermostat set point temperature from say 75 to say 78 and still be very compfortable without being clammy. I disagree completely that one should oversize a condensing unit however. This violates rule #1 in engineering and will lead to the compressor cycling on and off and an elevation in humidity level. Remember, the thermostat is a sensible temperature detector only and once the T-stat senses that the room temperature is with in 1 degree of set point it will signal the condensing unit to shut off. The T-stat does not measure humidity. For proper dehumidification the condensing unit must be on longer to dry out the air. Temperature is satisified much quicker than dehumidification. This is an often overlooked thermodynamic condition, especially in school designs. I am sure everyone reading this blog has been in a room that is cold and clammy...a direct result of the condensing unit shutting off before it has a chance to dehumidify the air. Solution is a dehumidifier, a better solution is hotgas bypass, best solution is an APR valve ($$). But never oversize a condensing unit in increases cycle time and wear and tear on the compressor leading to premature compressor failure ($$$$$).
    Amen.
    While I agree with youyr statement in general there are designs that will contradict what you have said. That however is for another post in the pro's section.

    It also really does not relate to this thread because she has not used the A/C on this system yet. It was installed in November and her energy use issues have to do with a straight elcetric heat unit.

  13. #65
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Lancaster PA
    Posts
    68,125
    [=bobb25;1779772]Did you read the site rules? I think that 2 posts with links to your web site might possibly come under rule #4. "Advertising of Web Sites and Products is not accepted on this site - so don't do it. It will be deleted. If you would like to purchase advertising space, please contact HVAC.Talk@gmail.com"[/QUOTE]

    You didn't have to repost his link.
    Contractor locator map

    How-to-apply-for-Professional

    How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event