Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by wrench tech View Post
    I assume you had a central air unit in before they installed this one? They would have to remove the old unit first. Sounds like someone really screwed up. To make sure the unit was sized right from the start someone would have to do a load calculation for the house.

Manual J residential load calculation, enables contractors to estimate heating and air conditioning loads more accurately. Using Manual J, a contractor calculates heat loss from the building through walls and ceilings and infiltration through windows, doors, and other penetrations as well as heat gain into the building from sunlight, people, lights and appliances, doors, walls, and windows and infiltration though wall penetrations. Design conditions for the area are also used as inputs into load calculations.

Did you have the house built and was this done originally? Lots of contractors use the rule of thumb method. It varies with the contractors. Most use around 750 square feet per ton. Some go as low as 500 square feet per ton. Either way it is not the correct way to size a unit. At just over 1700 square feet it sounds like someone may have went with 500 square feet per ton.

You gotta love this website...tons of good info for FREE. Thanks to all who share their knowledge. I think Tamarya might need a new unit and quick before it gets hot or she will have some bigger issues.

So what is your point?

It still hasn't come on and i have it turned to 79 now. But they are coming back out.

They installed new thermostat with the unit. it is a White Rodgers Model #IF86-344.

Thanks all and i will give Classical a call.

It was ARS
    Last edited by TamayraS; 02-28-2008 at 07:07 PM. Reason: forgot to add info

That is (fairly sure) an analog mercury bulb thermostat and it must be level and it must have internal wires changed to function with electric heat. It is very easy with this t'stat to have wires touching which would cause the ht. strips and A/C at the same time.

I suspect that the tech did not reset the breakers on the A/H or at the panel when he disconnected the one strip. This happens frequently when a tech is in a hurry because it is a warranty call and they fail to cycle the sytem before they leave.

Classical, is it to late to call or should i wait until tomorrow?

Another time they came out they said the thermostat was set for gas/electric instead of all electric and supposedly corrected that. But it still doesn't seem right.

Is it normal practice to NOT put on a digital stat when you are replacing the old one?? Just curious and not trying to be an arse...just seems kinds strange that with all the options available now, those analog murcury bulb stats would be obsolete.
    I need a new signature.....

Navair what possible reason can you find that would suggest this lady would need a new unit.

I suggest that we all read a thread fully before we reply especially a technical thread so we understand what issues have been discussed and possibly reconciled. When we make a rushed assumption about the issue and contradict some thing that has been for the most part addressed and resolved we further confuse the issue and the homeowner.

We also should endeavor to consider the geographic location of the problem. While I am very well versed in the intricacies of the Houston and Gulf coast region specifically humidity control I do not presume to understand the needs for A/C or Heat in Wisconsin or the west coast. A generic question about a specific brand of equipment or basic installation procedures no problem but when it comes to specific installation or code requirements that is different. There is also a huge difference in equipment sizing and SOP for install depending on location even within some states.

I would never install or size a system in Houston as I would in Galveston 75 miles south or in Austin 150 miles WNW or Dallas 199 miles north. I have worked in all of these areas and I assure there is a world of difference between what works in each location.

I am not trying to start a big confrontation here just suggesting we read, consider and think before we just bloviate to flex our ego’s.

Tamarya it is not to late in fact if you can call before they come back would be good.

I had an idea of who installed your system and I was correct and that explains a great deal.

Metal no it is not standard to install a digital t'stat with this company. All they care about is getting the sale instaling it quickly and getting on to the next one. They run 200 + trucks (not all HVAC) and really don't do anything but move boxes without regards to proper installation procedures or correcting the problems that caused the problem in the first place.

I would expect to see some very large duct leakage to double the bill.
    Aire Serv of SW Connecticut- Gas heat, dual fuel and central a/c systems installed and serviced

Twilli says should have had a V-8
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

classical, i tried to call but got a recording.

Wow, some of the reply's.

Have Classical watch these guy's work. Or just forget them all together and have Classical fix it right in front of them. Then again I wouldn't give them any free training. Stupid is as stupid does.
    Discipline your child so that other parents don't have to.

We're awl pawthetic and kweepy and can't get giwrls. That's why we fight wobots.

Quote Originally Posted by TamayraS View Post
    classical, i tried to call but got a recording.
    You should not have gotten a recording you would have gotten an answering service.

Try my cell 713-203-8412.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast