Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    I was wrong it is suppose to be a 3.5 ton. i looked at my quote. But i still say something is wrong. The tech just left and he took out a strip (he said there are 3 and he took out 1 to see if it helped) he said the only thing he could see was that it was cutting off to quick after cutting on. and supposedly taking out the strip should help. the temperature right now is 74 and i turned the heat on (to check it out) to 77 about 10 minutes ago and it hasn't come on yet.

He told me it is all electric. i don't have a heat pump.

The previous unit was a carrier 561AJX042000 (C.U.)it also says Nanleg 15 KW (FM) #RCAB045-500. The writing is hard to read.

Checked the model #'s on actual units and the outside unit is #24APA542A300 - Puron. and the unit in the attic is #FY4ANF042.

When it comes on i will see if the outside unit is running as someone asked.

Tamayra

You have an AC condenser when you need the sister mdl in a heat pump condenser.

Someone has really screwed up here, either you or your dealer.

Genuinely sorry for your trouble.

TD

Did you recieve a new thermostat with your system?

What type of thermostat do you have Digital or Analog?

What are the initials of the installing company and what part of town are you in?

Seems very odd that the t'stat is set on 77 it is 74 in the house and the heat has not come on yet!

The tech just left and he took out a strip (he said there are 3 and he took out 1 to see if it helped) he said the only thing he could see was that it was cutting off to quick after cutting on.
    Electric resistive heat has a COP = 1 It's doesn't matter if you are using 1000 electric hairdryers to heat the house. Electric resistive heat is 100% efficient. Either you are just not used to electric heating bills as opposed to a heat pump or the outside unit is cooling while the strips are on. One of the two.

I tend to believe the former.

what do you mean "sister mdl in a heat pump condenser"? As i said i know nothing about ac/heat. we just needed a new system and so i called and got quotes, the company that installed the unit is the people that are suppose to know what they are doing, not me. i told them i wanted a new energy efficient A/c & heat not one that was gonna double my electric bill and make it to where the temperature is never comfortable.

As i said i have called them out i can't count how many times since the install because it hasn't seemed to have ever run right. They keep telling me nothing is wrong.

Why don't you try this.
    Quote Originally Posted by classical View Post
    Tamayra look in my profile click on my website and call my number and I will assist you. It is likely that I know your contractor and can help you get this resolved.
    He's in your area and has offered to help. I would take the offer if i were you

Quote Originally Posted by wrench tech View Post
    Electric resistive heat has a COP = 1 It's doesn't matter if you are using 1000 electric hairdryers to heat the house. Electric resistive heat is 100% efficient. Either you are just not used to electric heating bills as opposed to a heat pump or the outside unit is cooling while the strips are on. One of the two.

I tend to believe the former.
    She did not have a heat pump before and it is possible that the t'stat is wired wrong. Either it is a new t'stat and was not set to electric heat or they used the old stat and have wires touching.

Another possibility is the ht. anticipator is set wrong.

Tamayra instead of looking at the dollar amount on your bill look at the kiowatt usage. Rates have gone up and the last few months have been colder this winter than last winter.

Tamayras......this poster "classical" is a professional member here. He lives in your area. He has asked you to look under his profile for his webpage and give him a call. He has offered to help you. What more could you ask for?

tamayra

You have an AC condenser that cools only when you need a heat pump condenser that both cools for air conditioning in the summer and heats for winter heating. It's that simple. Maybe a communication issue with your dealer. But that's the problem in a nutshell.

IMO

Quote Originally Posted by tigerdunes View Post
    Tamayra

You have an AC condenser when you need the sister mdl in a heat pump condenser.

Someone has really screwed up here, either you or your dealer.

Genuinely sorry for your trouble.

TD
    This is not really true, until recently heat pumps have been a very poor option for the Houston market. Even now unless you are going to go to the added expense of installing an ECM her system still makes good sense.

The additional cost of a heat pump and an ECM A/H would have added more money than she was willing or capable of spending. In any regard her savings for a heat pump with ECM could take more than 10-years to pay out. Granted she would have a more comfortable home in winter and slightly more efficient. Our winters are so mild it can sometimes be a hard option to recomend.

Quote Originally Posted by TamayraS View Post
    We had a new central a/c-heat installed in Nov 07. Since then, i have called the company out numerous times because it doesn't seem to work correctly and they keep saying nothing is wrong. Our electric bill more than doubled. We are having to run the heat at 78 to get it warm. It is either to hot or to cold, it is never comfortable.

I live in houston, texas and my house is 1,710 SF all electric. When i was getting quotes for this unit everyone said to get a 2.5 ton (that is also what was previously there) and not anything larger. That is what i thought i got so today i go to the carrier web site and put in the model number and it says it is a 3.5 ton. I call the company and they verified that it is a 3.5 ton. Could this be the cause of above problems?

They are suppose to come out today after 3:00 again. If it could cause the problems should i insist that they change it? I am just so tired of dealing with these people and i am sure they are tired of dealing with me but i got a new energy efficient unit i darn sure didn't expect my electric bill to double.
    I assume you technician is competent enough to check refrigerant charge. If charge is okay then you may have a size issue. It is quite possible the carrier salesman sold you a unit sized to satisfy your heating load. If you need only a 2.5 ton (cooling) and they installed a 3.5 ton(cooling) unit then the compressor will come on and off quickly. The main reason is because your compressor is too big to meet the load...the compressor does not modulate down to 2.5 tons. Excessive compressor cycling will lead to the compressor failing prematurely.

Since you had this unit installed in Nov, you main cooling problem will surface in the summer when the compressor prematurely shuts off because of satisfying the thermostat. What happens here is that the compressor is able to cool the air temp to the desired temperature but not on long enough to dehumidify, to remove moisture from the air. The compressor needs to be on longer to dry out the air. Eventually you will get cold but damp air in your house and quite possibly mold. The only solution for an oversized condensing unit is to have them install a "Rawal APR valve". www.rawal.com... the dude who owns this company is turd but he makes a good device that works. Compressors like to work...which is why the french don't make one. You may want to watch your compressor, listen for how many times in a fifteen minute period it comes on and off.

Classical, she said her electric bill doubled. I wonder what temp she kept it at before.

Quote Originally Posted by classical View Post
    She did not have a heat pump before and it is possible that the t'stat is wired wrong. Either it is a new t'stat and was not set to electric heat or they used the old stat and have wires touching.

Another possibility is the ht. anticipator is set wrong.

Tamayra instead of looking at the dollar amount on your bill look at the kiowatt usage. Rates have gone up and the last few months have been colder this winter than last winter.
    Classical your wrong. We are in the midst of global warming, AllGore said so. You must be delierious from the heat.

Tamayra - disregard my post about the oversized condenser, I misunderstood your problem. Classical has it right (except it being cold out...a darn tropical heat wave here in Dixie).

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast