Need advice on new HP system

Need advice on new HP system

I presently have a 10 1/2 year old 5 ton Bryant heat pump heating & cooling my 3000 sq ft home. I'm concerned that it may give way in the middle of summer when the heat here in Tampa Bay area of Florida is at its hottest. So, I'm seriously looking at replacing it within the next few months.

I'm trying to find any information that can give me an honest opinion of the various brands available. Everyone totes their brand as the best. I trust the opinion of you guys who work with them daily. Is there an internet site that can offer an honest opinion? Since I'm in no hurry, I can take your suggestions & get prices here.

Thanks

Dan
    Palm Harbor, FL

Quote Originally Posted by DanA View Post
    I presently have a 10 1/2 year old 5 ton Bryant heat pump heating & cooling my 3000 sq ft home. I'm concerned that it may give way in the middle of summer when the heat here in Tampa Bay area of Florida is at its hottest. So, I'm seriously looking at replacing it within the next few months.

I'm trying to find any information that can give me an honest opinion of the various brands available. Everyone totes their brand as the best. I trust the opinion of you guys who work with them daily. Is there an internet site that can offer an honest opinion? Since I'm in no hurry, I can take your suggestions & get prices here.

Thanks

Dan
    Palm Harbor, FL
    If your current heat pump is not giving you problems, why are you replacing it? You can always have a back-up plan if the heat pump fails in the sumer - a few window units will get you out of a bind.

The pros will not give you any pricing info on this site.

I suggest you get as many quotes as you can. The more quotes you get, the more educated you become.

Make sure that the model numbers of both the condenser (outside unit) and air handler are written on the quote. This will avoid the "bait and switch".

Your true cooling costs are determined by the Energy Efficiency Ratio (EER) and not SEER, much to the misunderstanding of many people. Whichever SEER system you get, you want a 12 EER minimum. In my opinion, a 14 SEER / 12 EER offers you the best combination of purchase price and true operating costs.

A good installation is more important than the brand name. For example, a properly installed Goodman will perform much better than a poorly installed Trane.

Equipment is properly sized using a heat gain/loss calc called a Manual J. Most contractors do not do it.

Consider a PARTS AND LABOR warranty for your peace of mind.

Good luck.