Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I'll send the wife to her parents....I spent 11 months in Iraq, a midwest heat wave doesn't compare to a middle east heat wave

Wives keep a mental list of all perceived screw ups. Do you really want to add to that list.

You know, you call somebody up and say, "I want to buy a _ _ _ (whatever it is)" and you don't think they'll come to install it? Even during the busy season? Come on dude. Sure, it's the slow season now, during these cold am/warm pm days. But, prices go up during the year for HVAC equipment....all year long. Price increases, material increases, costs go up. Manufacturers raise prices 3 or 4 times a year. ESPECIALLY AS GAS PRICES GO UP! Copper, wire, plastics, PVC, glue....it's all driven and dictated by the petroleum market.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Quote Originally Posted by Installed-m-all View Post
    You know, you call somebody up and say, "I want to buy a _ _ _ (whatever it is)" and you don't think they'll come to install it? Even during the busy season? Come on dude. Sure, it's the slow season now, during these cold am/warm pm days. But, prices go up during the year for HVAC equipment....all year long. Price increases, material increases, costs go up. Manufacturers raise prices 3 or 4 times a year. ESPECIALLY AS GAS PRICES GO UP! Copper, wire, plastics, PVC, glue....it's all driven and dictated by the petroleum market.
    Can't comment on gas prices but replacement prices are the same year round here ,other then price increases,which we don't expect much this year.
    Last edited by dash; 02-28-2008 at 11:03 PM.

No price increases ?

Hey Dash, that's killer. But coming from the HVAC industry as an installer, sales and in the manufacturers market...I can assure you that prices do fluctuate. I have sold miles of PVC pipe and during the day have the price change up and down 4 different times. So don't have blinders one, it's a market that feeds of other markets. Some manufacturers may not have as many price increases in a years time, but they are there.

1200 sq ft house is not large. If it's not zoned, consider zoning with a Daikin VRV-S system. Why? Each fan coil unit, however you have the house broken up, will be controlled by its own t-stat/controller, providing you a zone. So you gain by having a fully zoned house, that's one plus. 2nd, price vs. price. On the names you mentioned, you'll pay more for. Think of this. Outdoor XC14 requires 30amp double pole brkrs. Air handle with heat strips, double poled 60 amp brks. That's 90 amps right? Daikin outdoor unit. 20 amp. 4 fan coil units = 2.8 amps. Guess what, Daikin is also inverter driven on indoor and outdoor units. Major savings. Major warranty. Pay attention to price vs. SEER rating. You're SEER and EER's are much greater on inverter driven units, almost off the charts, especially when you zone a house. Now, here's the Daikin secret. All indoor air handlers...(shhh!) can be put into dry mode for dehumidification, which a super-duper energy effecient operation. Guess what? You didn't have to pay for a separate dehumidification system in your infiinity or lennox. It's built into the controller because why....it's inverter driven and the fan will slow down so slow and temperatures will drop so low that it removes moisture....as well as odors. (Daikin doesn't publicize the odor removal, but it does because odors hang in humid damp air). Check it out or let me design one for you. Takes about 5 minutes with a full bill of material.
    Exactly what do you need to get an estimate?

I'm in the process of exploring a system like you describe and would like more information.

jkish - locate info

go to website, send info in requesting a quote, probably like any other equip company does. you put in name, location, town and zip with a phone number and they'll call you. i did it a couple of years ago and i got a reply from a distributor and then we started talking about getting an installation quote for a fence. you may want to call you power provider too and talk to your representative there. they can help you locate a contractor and distributor i would imagine. good luck with it.

Honestly, a whole house. Why not. You use ducted air handlers right. Take a one tone ducted unit for instance. Put it under the floor of a family room. Short flex branches to the grilles, no loss of CFM's. The room is zoned with it's own controller. Now go to the next room. How many CFM's there? Figure it up. Go to the next room. If your total tonnage is 150% of a 3 Ton or 4 Ton, then you're in the gravy man. Go get the equipment and let's put it in. Fully zoned house dude without all the mechanical zone dampers and extra bulky duct and extra wiring....hey, I'm on the soap box. But seriously, it's that simple.
    post some shop drawings youve made at least. I got to see wtf you are talkin about.I mean a sytem installed already,

Quote Originally Posted by beachtech View Post
    really your talking about a mini-split, right? serious? your pitching this as a whole house solution? do tell
    yea I want to see some of this in action got any pics??

Quote Originally Posted by Arnold D View Post
    I have a 1200 sq ft ranch house here in Kansas City with a 25 year-old Carrier unit that has given me no problems in the 6 years I've owned the house. My highest electric bill last summer was $130 but the age of the system is concerning me. I've got one estimate to replace the A/C with a Lennox XC14 16 SEER unit (and add a service disconnect) for xxxx. I plan on getting a few more estimates just to get an idea on what this is going to cost me. Should I be that worried about the age of the unit now or just take a chance and wait until old faithful dies...any ideas?
    if it aint broke dont mess with it.unless your just rich.Mines old and not effecient but it runs and I'm not in a hurry to spend money on that.

go to website, send info in requesting a quote, probably like any other equip company does. you put in name, location, town and zip with a phone number and they'll call you. i did it a couple of years ago and i got a reply from a distributor and then we started talking about getting an installation quote for a fence. you may want to call you power provider too and talk to your representative there. they can help you locate a contractor and distributor i would imagine. good luck with it.
    Well, uh, OK - I pretty much knew how to do that.

I thought from this: "Check it out or let me design one for you. Takes about 5 minutes with a full bill of material." that you were suggesting that you could put together estimates.

About a week ago I requested info from the Daikin website as you suggested, but so far, no response. Doesn't bode well.

that sucks jkish.I'd hook ya up but your a thousand miles away

i would at least get a couple of proposals for replacement that way when you do need to replace you will already have a contractor in mind and also i would not use mini splits

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12