Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

should I upgrade?

I have a 1200 sq ft ranch house here in Kansas City with a 25 year-old Carrier unit that has given me no problems in the 6 years I've owned the house. My highest electric bill last summer was $130 but the age of the system is concerning me. I've got one estimate to replace the A/C with a Lennox XC14 16 SEER unit (and add a service disconnect) for xxxx. I plan on getting a few more estimates just to get an idea on what this is going to cost me. Should I be that worried about the age of the unit now or just take a chance and wait until old faithful dies...any ideas?
    Last edited by Senior Tech; 02-27-2008 at 11:27 PM. Reason: removed pricing

Removed pricing per rules (please read).

25 years old...lucky dog

Replace it with something new and more efficient...and you'll have warranties again to! It's had a good, long life and some bonus years as well...it's time.

let the old system die electric bills are pretty good

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    I'd replace it before it leaves you with no cooling on the hotest day of the year,and start saving a few dollars with a high SEER unit.Maybe some improved comfort,with improved techology like an Infinity or something close to it.

1200 sq ft house is not large. If it's not zoned, consider zoning with a Daikin VRV-S system. Why? Each fan coil unit, however you have the house broken up, will be controlled by its own t-stat/controller, providing you a zone. So you gain by having a fully zoned house, that's one plus. 2nd, price vs. price. On the names you mentioned, you'll pay more for. Think of this. Outdoor XC14 requires 30amp double pole brkrs. Air handle with heat strips, double poled 60 amp brks. That's 90 amps right? Daikin outdoor unit. 20 amp. 4 fan coil units = 2.8 amps. Guess what, Daikin is also inverter driven on indoor and outdoor units. Major savings. Major warranty. Pay attention to price vs. SEER rating. You're SEER and EER's are much greater on inverter driven units, almost off the charts, especially when you zone a house. Now, here's the Daikin secret. All indoor air handlers...(shhh!) can be put into dry mode for dehumidification, which a super-duper energy effecient operation. Guess what? You didn't have to pay for a separate dehumidification system in your infiinity or lennox. It's built into the controller because why....it's inverter driven and the fan will slow down so slow and temperatures will drop so low that it removes moisture....as well as odors. (Daikin doesn't publicize the odor removal, but it does because odors hang in humid damp air). Check it out or let me design one for you. Takes about 5 minutes with a full bill of material.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Quote Originally Posted by Installed-m-all View Post
    1200 sq ft house is not large. If it's not zoned, consider zoning with a Daikin VRV-S system. Why? Each fan coil unit, however you have the house broken up, will be controlled by its own t-stat/controller, providing you a zone. So you gain by having a fully zoned house, that's one plus. 2nd, price vs. price. On the names you mentioned, you'll pay more for. Think of this. Outdoor XC14 requires 30amp double pole brkrs. Air handle with heat strips, double poled 60 amp brks. That's 90 amps right? Daikin outdoor unit. 20 amp. 4 fan coil units = 2.8 amps. Guess what, Daikin is also inverter driven on indoor and outdoor units. Major savings. Major warranty. Pay attention to price vs. SEER rating. You're SEER and EER's are much greater on inverter driven units, almost off the charts, especially when you zone a house. Now, here's the Daikin secret. All indoor air handlers...(shhh!) can be put into dry mode for dehumidification, which a super-duper energy effecient operation. Guess what? You didn't have to pay for a separate dehumidification system in your infiinity or lennox. It's built into the controller because why....it's inverter driven and the fan will slow down so slow and temperatures will drop so low that it removes moisture....as well as odors. (Daikin doesn't publicize the odor removal, but it does because odors hang in humid damp air). Check it out or let me design one for you. Takes about 5 minutes with a full bill of material.
    Design one for me,what do you need ,can I buy direct??

Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Installed-m-all View Post
    really your talking about a mini-split, right? serious? your pitching this as a whole house solution? do tell
    If Guns Kill People, Do Pencils Misspell Words?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An2a1...eature=related

Before we work on artificial intelligence why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

No you can't. It's not a DIY. You have to be licensed to buy HVAC equipment in your area to buy Daikin equipment, same rules apply. But, your distributors are many and local, check out Coastline Distributing and Baker Distributing (formerly Baker bros.). Contractors that are licensed to install and design can be found through your distributors as well. If I had the layout of your house, I can put the design in. Some of the distributors have the software to do that on site, give the quote and hand you the Bill of Material right there within minutes (minutes for me anyway). Seriously, cost vs. cost is definitely worth looking into. Shoot me plan, or do want to fax it over with some numbers on sq. ft per room? We can handle it together easily.

Honestly, a whole house. Why not. You use ducted air handlers right. Take a one tone ducted unit for instance. Put it under the floor of a family room. Short flex branches to the grilles, no loss of CFM's. The room is zoned with it's own controller. Now go to the next room. How many CFM's there? Figure it up. Go to the next room. If your total tonnage is 150% of a 3 Ton or 4 Ton, then you're in the gravy man. Go get the equipment and let's put it in. Fully zoned house dude without all the mechanical zone dampers and extra bulky duct and extra wiring....hey, I'm on the soap box. But seriously, it's that simple.

VRV-S outdoor unit is single phase. Ducted fan coil units are single phase. Outdoor unit draws approx. 20 amps....all fan coils added together at 3 amps. Look how much electricity you reduced! And....And....what about them all running at the same time?
    They probably won't. Why? Diversity of your house. You may have 75% of them running at one time, if there's a lot people and activity....but...that's the beauty of the inverter technology, being able to provide more than 100% output. Basement finish outs. Love 'm. Bonus rooms- absolutely. Now just combine the remaining part of the house with these two areas, take advantage of what it CAN DO, and then let it do it.
    I'll show you a design if you want to see an application of a 4 ducted house that I'm going to install. It's sweet and simple. I may work smarter, but I'm NOT going to work harder.

Old Carrier

Arnold, I just don't believe in scrapping an old system that is keeping me comfortable & not causing me problems. That system may outlast you! Should the system die, I am sure that you can replace it very promptly. I have seen people change the old system out & then have more trouble with the new one. I like keeping my money in my pocket as long as I can.
    Every job is a self-portrait of the person who did it.

Arnold

The best time to purchase new AC is in the offseason. And you can just about bet that the time of your breakdown will be when your weather is scorching and it might be difficult to find an AC guy quickly. I realize it's difficult to replace AC when it is operating properly.

One final thought. Don't you have inexpensive electric rates? If so, you might consider a heat pump condenser.

IMO
    Good Luck!

It's only 25 years old, wait until it dies in the middle of a heat wave. The wife will be bitchin' like crazy cause you waited too long, a contractor will come out and charge double to replace it the next day, you'll be cool, the wife will stop bitcin', she'll give you extra lovin' and call you her hero, the contractor will be happy, and the credit card company will be glad to get your interest. Everybody wins all around.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast