Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BeachTech: I always tell my HO's up front (that have gas) that a heat pump will never satisfy them!! and here we get a ton of calls in the winter from folks that have recently traveled down from up north, that their system is not keeping up!! get there and it checks out good. just not used to semi-warm air being thrown around or defrost cycle

Amen BeachTECH. here on the redneck riviera I get lots of calls with the heat blowing cold air from a heat pump. I explain to them the differences in how the heat pump works and how to operate their system and how to live with the heat pump. Northerners are used to that blast of warm air coming out immediately. I will show them the temps come from the registers and they are always surprised to see 100 plus degrees when it doesn't feel warm to them.
    Heat or cool I tell them to let the system from for 10 minutes to stabilize before they start thinking something is wrong. If I splain them I usually don;t have a repeat call but they always seem amazed.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Latest technology has solved all the "cold blow" compliants.

350 cfms per ton,3kw staged aux heat,better insuleted homes,etc. etc..

We heard the compliants years ago ,but today we don't.Yes the lower cfm is not as effecient ,but comfort rules.

Quote Originally Posted by jechow View Post
    Nothing bets the warmth and quick recovery of a gas furnance.

You never had oil heat, how would you know.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

could not agree more

Vegas the hot spot for northerners not alot of nat, gas many many heat pumps o''''''' the warmth of natural gas............. gas in the home you can always switch to HP/res heat. GAS FOR THE GLORY.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by gsxrsquid View Post
    BeachTech: I always tell my HO's up front (that have gas) that a heat pump will never satisfy them!! and here we get a ton of calls in the winter from folks that have recently traveled down from up north, that their system is not keeping up!! get there and it checks out good. just not used to semi-warm air being thrown around or defrost cycle

Amen BeachTECH. here on the redneck riviera I get lots of calls with the heat blowing cold air from a heat pump. I explain to them the differences in how the heat pump works and how to operate their system and how to live with the heat pump. Northerners are used to that blast of warm air coming out immediately. I will show them the temps come from the registers and they are always surprised to see 100 plus degrees when it doesn't feel warm to them.
    Heat or cool I tell them to let the system from for 10 minutes to stabilize before they start thinking something is wrong. If I splain them I usually don;t have a repeat call but they always seem amazed.
    splain lmao yeah thats how them calls turn out here too. show them the supply air temp and they will tell you you meter is wrong!! so then i calibrate it with them LoL stick that sucker in a glas of ice water and they say thats not how to calibrate a temp gauge. you can't please all the people all the time, but if you can please some of the people some of the time
    If Guns Kill People, Do Pencils Misspell Words?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An2a1...eature=related

Before we work on artificial intelligence why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

This HO lives in a mild climate. Rarely into the low 30's. Usually upper 30's to low 40's for a low during winter.

This our third heating season with Heat Pump. Finally getting used to its personality. This season it was set at 72 back in mid November for a set it and forget it frame of mind. We have been quite comfy so far.

Aux heat only came on when I called for it. Utility bill, gas and electric, was at 200 for Jan.'s bill due to Christmas. This month was 175 for Jan's usage. Jan was colder but didn't have the extra Holiday load.

Living in this climate, the HP was a good choice. Any colder and I'd have opt for a dual fuel.

Just some thoughts.

And yes, get a load calc with proper duct design.

Quote Originally Posted by swift one View Post
    Vegas the hot spot for northerners not alot of nat, gas many many heat pumps o''''''' the warmth of natural gas............. gas in the home you can always switch to HP/res heat. GAS FOR THE GLORY.
    you need to take a trip down to the gas co. & look at the distribution map.
    approx. 85% of the valley has gas available. as a relative newcomer to
    vegas {1965] i work on about 80% gas & 20 heatpumps.
    have a dual fuel pkg. on my roof & have had it in emerg. ht. all winter.
    we dont care for the cool heat of a pump.

Quote Originally Posted by lws6772 View Post
    I presently have resistance heating and have considered putting in a hp, but I notice there sure seem to be a lot of posts with heat pump problems. My last system had a gas furnace(Rudd) that I helped install and never had any problems with it. I think I'll stick with a gas furnace, even though it means getting a gas meter installed and me running all the black pipe. What do ya'll think.
    If you figured in every detail--fuel prices, equipment costs, etc. then even the cheaper of the two systems could end up costing more in the long run, that is, when it breaks down out of warranty. Breakdowns cannot be predicted, so when you buy anything at all it's a gamble on your part.

I'm going to get a little philosophical here, but your question is a judgment sort of question, so I don't see any way to address it objectively.

I once looked at John Deere riding mowers because of their durability (at that time). A little bit of math told me that I could buy three Murray's for the price of one JD, so even if the Murray lasted only 1/3 as long as the JD, I would still break even. I bought the Murray and it was still working great when my ex hauled it off to her new house. In the meantime I had bought a second mower, a Craftsman lawn tractor, and even though it was a much better and much more expensive mower, I ended up having to sell it after only a year. That made the Murray a much better investment, by far! I lost my a** on that Craftsman. In the end I think it's best to just buy "what you WANT", and forget about the rest. Tomorrow doesn't come with any guarantees, so plan for the here and now. The sole purpose of central heat and air is comfort, and if you bought something that doesn't provide that, then you've wasted your money even if the one you bought is cheaper to run.

I'll finish by saying that with a properly installed and set-up heat pump system you shoudn't feel cold drafts. Some people complain about heat pumps, some don't. In my experience those who complain have more often than not been living with a system that either hasn't been working properly, or that wasn't installed properly. Other complaints are legitimate, such as the continous running at temps below balance point and condenser noise, either of which can be very annoying for people who are used to gas heat.

I had a guy come in today wanting a price on replacing a gas furnace with a heat pump system. I asked how old the furance was and he said "three years." I guess people are as different as night and day, and most don't make sense half the time
    Last edited by hvacrmedic; 02-28-2008 at 12:12 AM.

Funny how we all have different tolerances for temperature. I am glad I switched from gas to heat pump but, I am also in a warmer climate, usually never dips much below 30. Gas heat for me was just to darn hot, even running this heat pump on 50 degree days sometimes gets a little stuffy. I find that I am the most comfortable with mine when the outdoor temps are below 40. Some people drive with the heat turned up in their car to full hot, I on the other hand have always set it to just at a luke warm level wich probably explains why I like the luke warm temps from my heat pump on those colder days.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12