Heat pump...heat pump...who knows?

Am getting ready to replace 16 year old Ruud propane fired furnace & AC (Achiva 95) system rated @ approx 4 tons. Don't know squat about all this. Naturally heat pump comes up in the discussion. Have researched & discussed with as many as possible: Some hate 'em, others say they're great. So who knows? Live in east central Oklahoma. Weather typical Oklahoma: had ice storm not long ago, but most winters the past few years sort of mild. Yet it can be cold & if sun comes out even in winter it's tolerable. Summers...well, they're summers. Am being told heat pump would work in winter down to approx 30-32, then backup (propane) system kicks in. Looking @ 5 ton Goodman system. Seeking something more efficient, i.e., $$$ savings since we're going through propane like crazy. However, have discovered leak in furnace that has been letting propane ($$$!) go out. Anyhow, would like some non tech info on heat pump vs other & about Goodman. Need ASAP since am getting ready to make decision. Fire off email:
    Last edited by BaldLoonie; 02-27-2008 at 12:12 PM. Reason: please put e-mail in your profile

You will find out right away on this site that brand name like goodman is not looked at very well around here.

It really is going to come down to the quality of the install that company who puts it in dose.

I am not saying your deal is like this, but Goodman is usually sold by Side job guys not reputable companies with insurance and service contracts.

Most importantly don't let someone do work on your house that is not capable of doing a quality job and will back up there work with a warranty of some kind. Many people have and Many have come to regret it.

as far as brochures on Heat pumps your best bet would be to go to the Manufactures web sight and search Heat pumps. but I am sure there are guys on here who can help if you have a more specific model unit.

My personal opinion Is Trane, Carrier, and Lennox in that order. but just my opinion.

Good luck and if you can take your time making a decision. a person can do more Bad than good it they are not trained properly on how to Install something
    I hope life isn’t a big joke, because I don’t get it.

What I don't Know Far out weighs what I do.

VETO PRO PAC, The Official Tool Bag of HVAC-Talk.com

Appreciate your thoughts. Dealer/installer has been checked out. Has good record & positive response from a very close friend who used. So feel pretty comfortable with this issue. But getting into what's good/bad etc is like buying a car: everyone has their favorites & dislikes. At best it's a crap shoot. But not interested in gambling $$$ if I can get a comfortable feel.

cowboy

What is your electric rate?
    Does your electric utility offer any special rate/incentive for HP heating?

What do you pay for propane?
    Do you use propane for any other uses in your home?

As far as a heat pump, you want a rated model with at least 15 SEER,12 EER, 9+HSPF, and a var speed blower either from an air handler of a propane backup furnace. You need to be aware that some brands/models/sizes are light in both cooling and heating BTUs so you should check the metrics on the ARI directory site.

IMO

Thanks for all the info/advice. Have made the deal, so am happy with what I know. FYI: 14 SEER, 90% AFUE, 5 T HP, 5 T comfort coil. On co-op electric using avg billing so it goes up/down depending. Propane selling @ $2.55 per gal. Using more propane than normal because 16 year old system being replaced has leak in controller box & possible crack in heat exchanger. Therein lies the BIG problem with propane being wasted. So anything that replaces current system will be a HUGE improvement in effeciency & operating cost I would think. Like anything, I'm sure others will have different views & objections. But hey, that's why we don't all buy black, 4-door Fords with running boards and spare tire mounts on the back (if we did, we'd have a real classic!).

Heat pump

Appreciate all the good advice. Have decided to proceed. FYI: 14 SEER, 90% AFUE, 5 T HP, 5 T comfort coil, 115,000 BTU. Hey anything will be better than current 16 year old system with leak in control box & possible crack in heat exchanger. Propane = $2.55 per gal. Will check with electric co-op about special deals. Am on avg billing cycle. Seems to work out well so far. But with ineffecient leaking & possibly cracked heat exchanger propane usage higher than should be. I'm sure others would disagree with choice. But that's what makes the world go 'round & why we don't all like/buy black 4 door Fords with running boards & spare tire mounted on the back. Those who own Buicks think they're wonderful, the GMC guy think they stink...so there you go. Thanks.