Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tell me how to remote a water source heat pump -

High acid water is eating up the lines and fittings. The attic unit has flooded the house twice so far. It was replaced but the HO is concerned for water up there. Of course he doesn't want to just scrap the new unit.

At first I was thinking that I could pipe in an air cooled HP condensing unit.

But it just struck me today that I could just remote the water coil to the basement and run the refrigerant lines down to it from the attic unit.

Any problem with doing that?
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

would it not be easier to just treat the water before it enters the system?

No -

When the first coil let go - in the basement unit luckily, I had the water tested. It came back very high acid. So I replace the water coil with a marine grade unit and suggested that they get a water treatment system added for acid.

They did - just for the house water. The installer wanted $15,000. More for a system big enough to do the 8-9 GPM they need for the heat pumps.

So yes; it would be easier. But no; it would not be less expensive. And no; they will not agree to pay for it.

I want the water out of the attic. One of these floods is going to be blamed on me. <g>
    PHM
    --------

No problem here.
    never say never

This is a problem that needs to be addressed with the manufacturer of the equipment. Making modifications to equipment that are not authorized by the manufacturer makes you liable and not the manufacturer.
    Use the biggest hammer you like, pounding a square peg into a round hole does not equal a proper fit.

Bad idea all around no good will come of this
    www.vetopropac.com - The best tool bags on the market - The offical tool bag of choice by techs everywhere

Arguing with some people is like wrestling a pig - eventually you realise the pig actually enjoys it

Gonads serve a useful purpose but are no substitute for brains

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    High acid water is eating up the lines and fittings.
    Plate & Shell HX

http://www.tranterphe.com/

No one said it was going to be cheap!
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

I hope you have enough liability insurance. Happened to me in a completely different situation, but the HO filed a claim with his insurance, they came after me, and I turned it into my insurance.

Shouldn't be a problem.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Go closed loop

Putting a water source HP in an attic is insanity, I know because my previous employer did many and Ive seen the disasters

Penguin -

Why do you say that relocating the water portion of this heat pump from the attic to the basement will be a bad idea?

Bad in what way?
    PHM
    --------

You are changing the design of the unit. The compressor was not designed to pump the refer 20 or 30 feet.

I would just replace it with a geo split system. It will be cheaper in the long run. A closed loop would be a better option though.
    Karst means cave. So, I search for caves.

Question Root causes of the disasters /

Quote Originally Posted by Swampfox View Post
    Putting a water source HP in an attic is insanity, I know
    because my previous employer did many and
    I've seen the disasters
    Problems were mainly due to _ _ _ ?

1. Limited Access
    2. Attic Heat
    3. Water chemistry
    4. Poor installation
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast