Setback thermostat to control gas fireplace?

I have a natural gas fireplace with a standing pilot and a thermopile in series with a normal SPST 120 volt switch. It uses a Honeywell VS8421 gas valve. I believe that closing the switch allows current to flow to open the gas valve and the pilot then ignites the gas. I want to be able to use an electronic setback thermostat to ignite and turn off the gas burner at given times. It seems to me that I should just be able to take the wires that are currently attached to the SPST switch and attach them to the RH and W terminals of an extra setback thermostat I have. When the thermostat calls for heat it will close the circuit and ignite the burner. When the set point has been reached, it will open the circuit and cut off the gas. In other words, it will function just as the SPST switch, but I will be able to control it by time and temperature. I believe that VS8421 operates on a low enough voltage that this should not be a problem. Any opinions?

not sure setback that is are we dealing millivolts if you are that tstat will notwork

You need to make sure that the Tstat is capable of operating with millivoltage...can't think of a programmable off hand, but there should be a few.
    S**t or get off the pot!

I have used programable thermostats with millivolt furnaces before and they worked fine for me. Just have to see if it works for your particular setup.

Quote Originally Posted by sammy37 View Post
    I have used programable thermostats with millivolt furnaces before and they worked fine for me. Just have to see if it works for your particular setup.
    Did you use a battery powered stat?

do you have a death wish?
    want to get rid of Mother- in- Law?

you might if you do not have a fresh air source ALL the time the logs are being used!
    harvest rainwater,make SHADE,R75/50/30= roof/wall/floor, use HVAC mastic,caulk all wall seams!

Since we are not quite sure what kind of fireplace you have, and the fact that this is not a DIY help site, this thread is closed.