Thread: Hey MoveOver...Smart Recovery Question.

Post Likes

Confused Hey MoveOver...Smart Recovery Question.

I was trying to figure out when the furnace would come on to satisfy the following conditions:

wake : 73 degrees at 6:15AM, Night temp is setback to 62 degrees.

I programmed the fan speed to high hopefully overriding low fan speed period and giving immediate high fan and high heat.

I did not want the furnace to come on 90 minutes prior to set time (factory default for smart recovery on). I had a Honeywell thermostat installed until about 5 hours ago. We were certain that furnace came on 60 minutes prior to the set time. This does not agree with the manual stating a 90-minute default setting for smart recovery.

I am not sure the how the furnace will react with commanding high fan nor do I know when it will come on.

Will the furnace come on with low fire and high fan?
    When will the furnace come on since smart recovery is off?

You (any of you that read this) may ask why we set the furnace up this way. Both my wife and I are light sleepers. When the furnace comes on, we are awakened long before we want to get up. We hope that the furnace comes on about 30 minutes before the set time and reaches the desired set point of +11 degrees in about 35-40 minutes. This will get the Master Bath and Bedroom to about 67 degrees (there is a 6 degree differential between the thermostat location and the temperature in the MBR) for showering and dressing. We have this setting only two days a week when my wife rises early for work.

The Carrier installer was familiar with the Infinity thermostat but not entirely. He had to call a friend to figure out how to set fan speeds and had no idea about the time the furnace would come on to warm to the set point.

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks for the help.

Post Likes
    With my system with Smart Recovery off, it always start with a short period of low fan. While the furnace is running the fan speed is controlled by controller and not the fan speed setting. Otherwise you could have either too high or too low heat rise.
    I think it starts of with low speed is not to blast you with cold air. Once it reaches a certain heat rise or other factor it will go into high mode.

Post Likes
    11 degees in 35 to 40 minutes is possibleon mild days.
    But not practical on the colder days. Your expecting too much.

Post Likes
    bring your temp up in 3 stages --
    harvest rainwater,make SHADE,R75/50/30= roof/wall/floor, use HVAC mastic,caulk all wall seams!

Post Likes
    If you now have an Infinity control.....the furnace will not come on any earlier than your program period. It will stay at 62 until the new program starts and will then change and start trying to reach the new temperature. With -B controls you have the option of locking the unit into high heat only when the outdoor temperature is below a configurable point, that is the closest you can get to bringing it on in high. But this will mean any time the ODT is below this point you will have only high heat.

You can not set the fan speed for a heating mode. The fan speed selection is for continuous fan operation only, when the heat mode starts it will change the fan speed to what ever that particular mode (low or high) calls for.

As mentioned previously....fix the duct system!!!! If you hear excess noise it is because the static is high due to too small a duct. If one end of the house is not getting enough air it is because the duct is either too small or needs to be balanced.
    If all else fails....Try reading the directions!

Tell it like it is and let the chips fall where they may.

Any views or opinions stated here are strictly my own.

Post Likes

Smart Recovery off makes furnace very dumb?

Here's what happened with Smart Recovery Off, and fan set to high. The wake setting was 73 degrees at 6:15 AM. I expected the system to come on sometime prior to 6:15 with high fan to try and reach 73 degrees by 6:15. I was anticipating a turn on around 5:35-5:45.

Tha manual says with Smart Recovery on the system will start heating 90 minutes before the set time and increase temperature at a 2.4 degree/hour rate or 3.6 degrees in the 90 minutes. The manual also has a NOTE suggesting that the set back not exceed 3.6 degrees. That sounds pretty dumb to me.

What happened was the system did not start warming until 6:45, with high fan and continued heating actually surpassing the set temperature of 73 degrees to 74. My wife noticed the furnace not going off so she went to schedule override and set 69 degrees. I forgot to tell her that the fan would need to be moved out of the high position so it stayed on high until the day program (auto fan) kicked in at 8AM.

The results were not what I expected and not explained fully in the manual. Is there another information source at Carrier where one can ask a question on-line or telephonically?

Post Likes

To Plain Spoken, What is -B Controls?

What is -B Controls?

Post Likes
    I have already explained the fan....you can not set it to high during the run mode. You have NO control over operating fan speed, nor should you have.

Smart recovery will start up to 90 minutes early if needed. Conventional recovery does not start until the new time. Why would you think it would start early? If you wanted that you use Smart recovery, you use Conventional if you don't.

The one degree overshoot is normal due to the large set back you are using. Some might think it dumb to set it back that far just as you think it dumb not too. This is largely personal preference, but with a large recovery the unit has to cycle up to high to make the recovery. This takes away from the effciency of allowing it to run at low stage for extended times. It also causes the alogorithum calculation to think it needs to continue to run once it reaches your set point because it has had to run for so long to achive set point. The control only thinks it must be really cold outside because of this and if it shuts off then the house will get cold and the furnace will have to cycle back on shortly. Since short cycles are one of the things it is trying to avoid it keeps the furnace on longer, therefore over shooting the set point. Once it sees the over shoot it does shut off.

Post Likes
    -B is the latest version of software of the controller...should be what you have.

Post Likes
    Actually I think -B is more like the newest model; latest version is 14. You can see this under the Advanced menu. Version 13 is missing auxillary lock out.

Post Likes
    Got what B stands for. I now understand about the times I think. This is the first day for me with this thermostat after 2 weeks with a Honeywell. The Honeywell time set was not an on time but a time you wanted a temperature reached. The furnace would come on an hour early and would reach the temperature set (with about a 10 degree spread) in about 45 minutes with about 20 minutes of initial low fan.

The Carrier techs did not correct me or did not know how the infinity worked and gave me the impression that the infinity thermostat temperature set schedule worked the same way.

I honestly don't know how the furnace will perform with the thermostat controlling the furnace (how fast it will reach temp with the same spread).

Post Likes
    Use conventional setback and set it to come up 1/2 hour before you wake up. Set it back as far as you want, but don't expect it to reach the wake set point before you get up on cold mornings.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 16F-MAD View Post
    Got what B stands for. I now understand about the times I think. This is the first day for me with this thermostat after 2 weeks with a Honeywell. The Honeywell time set was not an on time but a time you wanted a temperature reached. The furnace would come on an hour early and would reach the temperature set (with about a 10 degree spread) in about 45 minutes with about 20 minutes of initial low fan.

The Carrier techs did not correct me or did not know how the infinity worked and gave me the impression that the infinity thermostat temperature set schedule worked the same way.

I honestly don't know how the furnace will perform with the thermostat controlling the furnace (how fast it will reach temp with the same spread).

I thought I explained that in an earlier post. With smart Recovery On it tries to reach the requested temperature at the requested time. With Smart Recovery Off it will not start the furnace untill it sees a difference in requested temp and actual temp. Which would occur at the time you tell it you want the new temp.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in